Elastic Problem - Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elastic Problem - Please Help!

I have just started making fashion jewellery after years of making bridal and changing my technique.

I recently made a bracelet for a friend...elasticated. She wore it out on Saturday night and whilst dancing it snapped! beads everywhere! I feel terrible as she has just placed abig christmas order with me! I cannot apologise enough! Lucky it was my close friend so she is cool about it. I will make her another one.

I used the Superior Crystal Elastic.

Can anyone give me any tips on making elasticated bracelets and sugggest any better elastic or stretchy thread.

I would be ever so grateful for any advice and help.....as I do not want this happening to a stranger who buys from me!

I am gutted!

Please help?

Clare x
    http://www.bridalise.co.uk/
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery For All Occasions

It sounds as if the beads you used may have cut the elastic, the elastic you used may be perfectly alright. If you put seed beads, or at least smooth round ones, between every contact with the elastic and the sharp beads it will stop it fraying.......................hopefully!

Comment

If you can examine the snapped bracelet it will give you a better idea of how to rectify the problem.
      Did it come apart at the knot? If so, how are you tieing the knot, and did you put glue on the knot? Did you crimp?
      Did it snap midway on the elastic? If so, what kind of elastic did you use? Was it strong enough for the beads? Were the beads sharp or could they have abraded through the elastic?

I started of using the clear stretch elastic but found it really wasn't stretchy enough and if pulled too hard completely lost its springyness and would not go back to the original size.
      Then I switched to shirring elastic about 1mm thick which goes through most beads - and no matter how much you pull it, it springs back. I tie a surgeons knot - the first step is like tieing your laces,then the next step is like tieing your laces again but instead of going through once, you go through twice (hope that makes sense). Then I do a final single knot, then put a large dab of hypo cement on the knot and trim the ends. Then I hide the knot inside a large hole bead and tip more glue in each side of the hole.
      I have'nt had a bracelet come apart yet since I switched to this method.
      You get nice gold, silver or coloured shirring elastic on lots of craft sites and ebay.
      Hope this helps a bit.
      Louise

Comment

Originally posted by Louise77 View Post
        If you can examine the snapped bracelet it will give you a better idea of how to rectify the problem.
        Did it come apart at the knot? If so, how are you tieing the knot, and did you put glue on the knot? Did you crimp?
        Did it snap midway on the elastic? If so, what kind of elastic did you use? Was it strong enough for the beads? Were the beads sharp or could they have abraded through the elastic?

I started of using the clear stretch elastic but found it really wasn't stretchy enough and if pulled too hard completely lost its springyness and would not go back to the original size.
        Then I switched to shirring elastic about 1mm thick which goes through most beads - and no matter how much you pull it, it springs back. I tie a surgeons knot - the first step is like tieing your laces,then the next step is like tieing your laces again but instead of going through once, you go through twice (hope that makes sense). Then I do a final single knot, then put a large dab of hypo cement on the knot and trim the ends. Then I hide the knot inside a large hole bead and tip more glue in each side of the hole.
        I have'nt had a bracelet come apart yet since I switched to this method.
        You get nice gold, silver or coloured shirring elastic on lots of craft sites and ebay.
        Hope this helps a bit.
        Louise

Thank you Louise & Peter. I thought that it could have been down to the cermic beads rubbing. Apparently my friend was partying hard waving her arms in the air, I made two and the other girls one is fine. LOL!

Louise I will get some of that elastic, I have not heard of the knot before, I will have a go....will be fun I tie my laces different to most people, my grandad taught me the way they do in the navy and I have stuck to that way since a little girl....I will give it a go.

I used bead cement on the knot I did. It was my first attempt so I guess as the saying goes you learn from your mistakes not your achivements.

Thank you ever so much for your advice.

Clare x
        http://www.bridalise.co.uk/
        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery For All Occasions

Comment

Can you use something else besides elastic? (silver wire, cable etc) I avoid using it for similar reasons, it eventually always warps, stretches or breaks.

Comment

Does Sound like you need better quality Elastic, at beadtime.co.uk you can get .4 .7 and 1mm thick and very good quality

Comment

When making elasticated bracelets I always cut the length extra long & use it doubled. To make threading it through the beads easier I use a piece of jewellery wire folded in half to make a needle. At the end several knots & then a blob of clear nail varnish.
              JOIAS DESIGNS

Comment

Working...
              X