Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earring Hoops

Hi

Can someone tell me how to finish these off please......

I've bought some ear hoops, the kind that you attach to a hook through a small hole, threaded some beads on and now can't work out how to keep the end I threaded with secure. I've threaded it back into the small tubey thing (sorry can't think how else to describe it!) at the top but it just won't stay there. I've tried squashing the tubey thing once I've threaded the wire in but that doesn't seem to work either.

I have my first jewellery party tomorrow night and really wanted to take these hoops with me but daren't take them if I can't get them to stay put.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I just can't work it out does anyone know the magic way??

Thanks

Debbie
    www.aberjewels.co.uk

can you post a picture? Or even find one similar on google images?
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

the hoops themselves look like these ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-ear-loops-ho...d=p3286.c0.m14

Is that what you meant?
      www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Yes thanks, erm I don't know what to suggest. Is it that the wire doesn't stay closed? If so, I would unhook it from the tube, and then gently push the wire further past the tube, so that you are slightly changing the shape if you see what I am trying to say? It sounds as if the hoop is slightly too big so that the end won't go far enough into the tube to stay put.
        Does this make sense? I can't think how to word it.

Comment

hehe I though it was just me struggling to describe it coz I've had a glass or two of wine but it's difficult isn't it!

When I've put the beads on then pushed the wire back through the loop it just keeps popping out. I've tried pushing it as far through as it will go and even tried pushing it into the loop the other side but it just doesn't bend. The loop the other side looks like it has been slightly flattened in the middle to make it stay so I've tried doing this aswell but I can't get it to flatten enough to keep the wire in.

These hoops seemed such a good idea at the time and I had quite a few ideas for them but I'm going off them now!
          www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

It's certainly a tricky one, another glass of wine might help though?!

Comment

I'll force myself to have another one if you really think it will help!

Thanks for trying anyway

Debs

www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Used these for years and they are a pain, the only way Ive ever sorted it is to put a drop of glue on the end that slides in, then its best to use crimp plyers to squash the end.
                Cant say Im happy with them but you can get some good designes with them

Comment

Ahh glue that's a good idea, I'd not thought of that.

When you say use crimp pliers to squash the end do you mean the ones that make the crimps into a moon shape then a round at the end?

Thanks for that

Debbie
                  www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

sounds to me you have pulled them out of shape, when opening them you need to use just enough pull to get the end out then go sideways in the same manner as a jump ring. That's for next time at the moment you have a deformed circle Im guessing you dont have a set of mandrills or formers so I sugest you tightly roll a magazine so it's outside diameter is slightly less than the required finished size for the ring place the ring over the magazine and give it a good squeeze. because the natural spring in the metal it will spring back out a little. the roll should stop it kinking if you are holding the ring tight against it. if it springs back too far remove some pages from your roll and try again
                    hope that makes sense

Colin

ps just read again you use crimp pliers on these earings ............... arghhhh .........
                    Last edited by shiner; 26-10-2008, 11:35 PM. Reason: add more text

Comment

Originally posted by shiner View Post
                      sounds to me you have pulled them out of shape, when opening them you need to use just enough pull to get the end out then go sideways in the same manner as a jump ring. That's for next time at the moment you have a deformed circle Im guessing you dont have a set of mandrills or formers so I sugest you tightly roll a magazine so it's outside diameter is slightly less than the required finished size for the ring place the ring over the magazine and give it a good squeeze. because the natural spring in the metal it will spring back out a little. the roll should stop it kinking if you are holding the ring tight against it. if it springs back too far remove some pages from your roll and try again
                      hope that makes sense

Colin
                      That was what I was getting at lol, but you put it so much better, and with the great idea of using a magazine!

Comment

Hiya, I think urbtaf hit the nail on the head. I had a lot of trouble using these too. As urbtaf said the solution is to use a little glue and/or maybe use crimp pliers to 'squash' the 'tubey thing' (technical terms!!!) a little and that should do the trick!!
                        Good luck with the jewellery party and let us know how you get on

Emma
                        My Blog
                        Twitter
                        Facebook

Comment

I'll give the rolled up magazine thing a go tomorrow, I've given up for tonight and bed is calling - well my lo has just started crying.

Thanks again for all your help/suggestions, off to worry about the party now

Cheers

Debs

www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Im upset now, I thought I was the master of wierd solutions but the rolled up thing left me baffeled, live and learn

Comment

Working...
                            X