Wire/Thread Advice Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire/Thread Advice Please?

Hi, I am new to the craft forum so I hope I am posting this in the right section.

I have been making bridal jewellery and tiaras now for nearly 3 years as my full time occupation.

I am now branching out into fashion jewellery as a side line. I am finding that I need to change my wiring techniques as the beads/gemstones I am now using are very heavy compared to pearls and Swarovski crystals.

I currently use sterling silver callotes etc and Beadalon 7 strand for my bridal jewellery which has been fine and never had any problems as they are light and delicate.

I have tried this technique for my fashion jewellery but its not working, the beads are too heavy. I have been reading the forum and its been very helpful. I have just bought wire guardians etc as some of you have suggested. Great little things and I am so pleased...so thank you for the other threads - been very helpful.

I would be ever so grateful for any advice on the best wire or thread to buy? I need it to be strong (snap proof), kink free and be suitable for wire guardians....any advice please? There are so many out there and I just dont know whats the best to buy or the most suitable for heavy bead work. PS. also a wire that does not stretch with the weight of the beads.

Can someone also reccomend some suppliers - I currently use Palmer Metals?

Many Thanks In Advance.

Clare x
    http://www.bridalise.co.uk/
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery For All Occasions

Personally i like soft flex. There is also beadalon wire but iv never used it. I just got it from eBay.

I needed slightly larger wire guards for it though.
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Hi

I'm no expert but I use beadalon 19, or 49 strand if they are very heavy beads, like gemstones. I've also used soft flex in the past aswell and that was ok. I think it;s probably down to personal taste at the end of the day.

I've priced quite a few sites and found palmer metals to be one of the cheapest. I have just bought some 49 strand from Jillybeads though because oddly it was half the price of everyone else.

Doubt that helps but I'm sure someone like auntynet who knows a lot more will be along soon with some more helpful advice.

Debs
      www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Debs, I will try Beadalon 49 see how they go. I have a few beads which are extremely heavy and really do not want customers coming back.

Even though I have been doing this for 3 years I do still worry!

I will have a look at Jilly Beads, I do buy from her.

Thank you all for your advice.

Many Thanks

Clare

Comment

Originally posted by zebady View Post
          Doubt that helps but I'm sure someone like auntynet who knows a lot more will be along soon with some more helpful advice.

Debs
          Oooooooooooooo! You make me sound like I know what I'm doing!

Seriously though, thanks for the vote of confidence but I am not the only beader on this forum that knows what they like to work with and its not so long ago that I asked the very same question on here.

When I started out I used Acculon thread because it was the cheapest I could find but I decided to try Beadalon as everyone seemed to think it was the best. I found out that I prefer it to anything else and I use gemstones and Swav's in my jewellery. It does depend on the size of your beads as to which size thread you use - I use .012" for swav and small gemstone beads but for the larger gemstone beads I use .018". I prefer to use 49 strand cos it doesn't kink and doesn't "wear" or stretch but it is quite expensive compared to 7 or 19 strand.

I definitely wouldn't use callotes with heavy beads as I don't trust them to be secure enough - stick with the guardians or gimp and use crimps and crimping pliers.

One other thing to think about - I rarely do intricate weave designs (cos I'm not very good at them) but I reckon my choice of thread would be no good for something like that. You'd need to ask someone like, Peter, Lilac Moon or Delta as they all do "weave" patterns. (I only named these 3 members cos I know they do this kind of work so I apologise if I've offended anyone else by not mentioning them).
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
            Oooooooooooooo! You make me sound like I know what I'm doing!

Seriously though, thanks for the vote of confidence but I am not the only beader on this forum that knows what they like to work with and its not so long ago that I asked the very same question on here.

When I started out I used Acculon thread because it was the cheapest I could find but I decided to try Beadalon as everyone seemed to think it was the best. I found out that I prefer it to anything else and I use gemstones and Swav's in my jewellery. It does depend on the size of your beads as to which size thread you use - I use .012" for swav and small gemstone beads but for the larger gemstone beads I use .018". I prefer to use 49 strand cos it doesn't kink and doesn't "wear" or stretch but it is quite expensive compared to 7 or 19 strand.

I definitely wouldn't use callotes with heavy beads as I don't trust them to be secure enough - stick with the guardians or gimp and use crimps and crimping pliers.

One other thing to think about - I rarely do intricate weave designs (cos I'm not very good at them) but I reckon my choice of thread would be no good for something like that. You'd need to ask someone like, Peter, Lilac Moon or Delta as they all do "weave" patterns. (I only named these 3 members cos I know they do this kind of work so I apologise if I've offended anyone else by not mentioning them).

Thank you ever so much, I have read a lot of your posts and all have been so helpful.

I think I will stick with Beadalon but buy 49. Thank you for the size guide info size 12 and 18 - I will now also use 49 for my bridal jewellery as that is expensive - 7 has been fine but I am wary of the kink factor so I will buy 49 from now on.

Thank you for you help and all of you who have helped me, I am so glad I joined the forum now.

auntynet - could you reccomend some suppliers of Beadalon 49 - I currently use Palmer Metals and Jilly Beads - are these the cheapest....I need to buy a fair few reels. Many Thanks

Many thanks again to everyone for their help.

Clare x

Comment

Thanks for your complements - just glad to have helped out in the past.

TBH I don't really shop around for mine , I just pick it up when we visit Burhouse - I know I should cos I've just been doing a bit of research and found out that Palmers Metals do the size 18 in 100ft rolls and if you buy 4 or more it works out at just under £20 per roll. Price for one roll is £22.09 which is still £3 cheaper than I've been paying for it at Burhouse.
              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Did someone give me a nudge?

If I am using heavy(ish) beads, then I use Beadalon/tigertail, have just had a look and most of mine seems to be 7 strand. But so far its been ok.

I did a woven bracelet with 8mm Tiger eye beads and chips, and for that I used the fishing line type stuff, as it held the beads ok, and didn't 'spring' but that's a problem I have with finer weaving with the fishing line, it sort of makes itself into a spring, or concertina effect, with one lot going one way and then next section going the other.... had to describe, but if you can remember how we used to fold paper to make fans as kids, well it goes like that.

For finer weaving I use eithe Nymo thread or KO thread, but that's because its hard to get too much through a seed bead and sometimes you need to go through a few times.

For my beaded flowers, I use fine wire, along the lines of 28 gauge (again because I am using seed beads and they only have likkle holes)

Not sure if this has been any help, but Auntynet mentioned me and I thought it only polite to respond
                www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

I have just bought a few rolls of Beadalon 49 and see how I get on.

I have picked up so many tips from this forum in such a short space of time. You are all so helpful.

I am actually implenting the tips I have picked up on my bridal business too.

Thank you again for your advice. Its much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X