Hallmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallmarking

Just wondered, how many of you are registered with the Assay Office?
    For those of you that are not, is it because your pieces fall beneath the weight or have you got another way round it?
    Also, if you have had stamps made, where did you get them? I fancy getting one made specifically with my logo, (the Assay Office are sorting out my 'official' one) but manufacturers are not easy to find.
    www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

No-one know?

Comment

give it some more time and more might come along and give more answers.

I'm looking in to it at the mo. got all the paper work just trying to think of a few letters to use.

Let us know how you get along with setting up yuour own hallmark.

Neil

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying. I've got it all set up, just waiting for the stamp to be made. This is the 'official punch which will be used to hallmark my pieces. What I was also looking for was a punch which could be seen with the naked eye and would consist of my logo which is a rainbow over hills. This would be stamped on the opposite side from the hallmarked side and would hopefully make the jewellery recogniseable

Comment

I don't know about having a stamp made. You could get some silver tags etched with your logo to attach to your jewellery, if it's suitable. I have heavier stuff like bangles hallmarked. For necklaces and bracelets I make silver scroll catches and get them hallmarked so that I can just solder them to the finished item. This makes it easier when I get orders for things I don't have in stock.
          Best wishes
          Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Glitterbug View Post
            I don't know about having a stamp made. You could get some silver tags etched with your logo to attach to your jewellery, if it's suitable. I have heavier stuff like bangles hallmarked. For necklaces and bracelets I make silver scroll catches and get them hallmarked so that I can just solder them to the finished item. This makes it easier when I get orders for things I don't have in stock.
            It's actually tags that I'm going to have hallmarked. Like you say, it's quicker and easier rather than having to send each piece away, that way I have more control over what I'm selling.
            I didn't think about etching although it's not something I really want to get into myself. It's probably not a great design to do that with anyway.
            Having scoured the internet......again, for a manufacturer of punches, I found one whom I've emailed. So, just wait and see if the price is sensible.

Comment

Is it ok just to get a tag hallmarked and then attach it to your work, I thought that the whole of the piece had to under go the hallmarking process.
              Don’t they take samples from different areas to make sure that the whole part is up to the required standard before the piece is stamped? Otherwise what’s to stop you using a lower grade of sliver or silver plate for the main part and only having a sterling silver tag?
              neil

Comment

Originally posted by WitchfordSilverDesigns View Post
                Is it ok just to get a tag hallmarked and then attach it to your work, I thought that the whole of the piece had to under go the hallmarking process.
                Don’t they take samples from different areas to make sure that the whole part is up to the required standard before the piece is stamped? Otherwise what’s to stop you using a lower grade of sliver or silver plate for the main part and only having a sterling silver tag?
                neil
                Exactly!! It's nowhere near as stringently checked as you would think!! Through my work, I've contacted them before about testing metal and you can actually send an 'offcut' of metal from which you've made something and they will check that instead of the actual item.
                For my particular situation, I spoke to one of the head guys and he told me that I could send a load of tags, along with loose jumprings, loose chain and wire and that would be randomly tested and only the tags hallmarked. That way they could check the quality of what I was using.

Comment

I'm sure it's naughty really, but it makes life so much easier to have a supply of ready hallmarked bits. Shh! Don't tell.
                  Best wishes
                  Carole

Comment

I think you may be about to drop a great clanger!!
                    If we are talking silver, any item under 7.8 grams does not need hallmarking, and you can stamp it yourself 925, if you can prove the providence of the base material. (reciepts ect.)
                    Over 7.8 it must be hallmarked. This means the piece must be sent off and you pay the fee, about £10 per item
                    If you just have the tags hallmarked then that means the tag is hallmarked not the piece.
                    The trading standards will have a field day with you, confiscate you stock and, if they want prosecute you
                    Ask for the booklets from the assay office, and you should get the correct info, I will admit to being a bit out of date on this subject
                    Dont listen to someone on the phone they could be a 16 trainee, get it in black and white
                    If your talking gold then the rules are much worse
                    Good luck with it, let us know the outcome

Comment

I got my information from the guy in charge of the assay workshop in Edinburgh. The previous information regarding the testing of a loose scrap of metal came from the assay master himself. I also have an email stating that the components being used, ie findings, chain, etc would need to be seen in order for the tags to be stamped.
                      As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is wide open to abuse. Someone could have a jumpring which is already attached to a finished piece hallmarked and then cut it off and attach to something which isn't the metal it's supposed to be.

Comment

Hi teallach,
                        That’s what I thought; you have to send the whole piece to be assayed. They then take enough samples to make sure the whole piece meets the standard.
                        Did you have any problems picking the shield and letters for your hallmark?

Comment

Yes, you're right. Anything larger like bangles I get hallmarked. I only use the hallmarked scroll clasps on things that don't have to be hallmarked like light bracelets, etc.
                          Best wishes
                          Carole

Comment

Originally posted by WitchfordSilverDesigns View Post
                            Hi teallach,
                            That’s what I thought; you have to send the whole piece to be assayed. They then take enough samples to make sure the whole piece meets the standard.
                            Did you have any problems picking the shield and letters for your hallmark?
                            The piece doesn't have to be assembled, if for instance you are making up a chain, providing you send what you intend to put together.
                            I didn't have any problems with the letters, they were incredibly helpful and told me what size/shape would be most suitable for the type of pieces I would be submitting. I did this through the Edinburgh office who I've always found to be very fast.

Comment

silver clay hallmarking?

Hi

I have read this thread with interest. Some years ago, I looked into the hallmarking process and got details from one of the assay offices and that lead me to believe that over a certain weight you had to have it hallmarked by sending the piece of jewellery in to be assessed as to its quality.

I always made sure that my items never achieved that limited - because of the cost I estimated it would incur having the assaying done. So I am quite fascinated by what you were told by the Edinburgh office.

I presume that silver clay jewellery items have to fit the criteria for hallmarking as well, or are they automatically allowed to be stamped without going through the assaying process because of the fact they are all 99.9% silver?

Comment

Working...
                              X