Wire Guardians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Guardians

Hello - i may be being thick- but what do you use wire guardians for? and how do you use them....

Wire Guardians are fantastic little items that help make extremely neat ends to Beadalon beading wire and prevent chaffing. The wire simply passes through the end of the horse-show shaped Guardian, around the metal guide and back down the other side - then crimp. Extremely neat and much more secure than a Culotte!

hope this helps
    Sarah

Comment

What about attaching a clasps and finishing necklaces- do you use them on your jewellery?

Comment

And what size do i buy?

Comment

Hi

I've only ever seen them sold as one size. I get mine from beadservice, but i noticed this morning that beadsbylili has some aswell.

I thread either a jump ring or the loop of the clasp onto the horseshoe before crimping it (think that makes sense!). Gives a nice finish to necklaces and I always think they are more secure than a calotte if I have used heavier beads. I think it looks tidy aswell.

Have a search through the old threads as these have come up quite a few times now in previous threads.

Cheers

Debbie
          www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Oh what a great thread - I'd heard of wire guardians before but never used them.

If they're better than callotes then I'll have to give them a try !!
            Thanks
            With love,
            Daisy & Me
            x

Our MISI Shop www.daisyandme.misi.me.uk
            Our email address [email protected]

Comment

Heres an example.

Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I use mostly Swarovski and Freshwater pearls- i just want to check they wont look too clumsy!?

Can you use with more than one strand of tigertail/beadalon?

Comment

They do come in different sizes but its only the hole that the wire goes through thats different and not the size of the "horse-shoe". I've only seen 2 sizes and its to accommodate different sized wire.

You can't get 2 threads through the one hole though so you can only use them on multi-strand designs if your clasp has multiple loops and you would use one for each loop.

Hope that makes sense.

They are quite dainty and I use them on most of my swarovski and pearl designs but they look equally at home on a chunky gemstone design as well.
                  Last edited by auntynet; 22-10-2008, 04:51 PM.
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I've got 'wire guardians' in Silver Plated, Gold Plated, Sterling Silver and Gold Fill

The sterling silver ones come in 3 sizes for different wire diameters:-

Size 1 = internal diameter 0.53mm
                    Size 2 = internal diameter 0.78mm
                    Size 3 = internal diameter 1.14mm

So you just need to check the diameter of the stringing you are using to decide on which size you need,

Debbie
                    www.beadservice.net
                    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

I got some of these but not used them yet. do you just crimp the ends as normal but with only one thread in?
                      Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Hiya Hils.

You would thread up your beads, then your crimp, then through one side of the guardian, then put your clasp through the guardian, then thread through the other side of the guardian, then back down through your crimp and finish off and flatten your crimp as normal. (I usually take the thread back through a few beads and snip it si that the end is hidden inside antoher bead.)

Hope this makes sense.
                        Auntynet

Comment

Cheers Annette

quick panic for a minute there, I didnt think that crimping the guardian would make it secure, but all is clear now.
                          I'm not the brightest in the world but i get there.....lol
                          Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Glad I could be of some help.
                            Auntynet

Comment

Thanks Debbie- just placed a big silver order with you! Can't wait to play with it all!

Comment

Working...
                              X