Drills for stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drills for stones

My mother is being very organised and has asked about Christmas presents! She always say ask for something big then she can have fun with a few wee presents lol.

I really would love a drill to drill my own gem stones so i can hang them in wire and make pendents out of them etc. Whats the best kind to get? Any suggestions for kits?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

OH uses a dremmel with diamond tipped bits.

Will get him to post further details tomorrow.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I also use a Dremel with diamond tipped bits - Ideally you will need the extension snake thing that goes with it which makes using it much easier and safer. There are some cheaper versions around - I can't remember the name of the brand sorry but I bought a full spare drill set from ALdi which also included a stand to hang the drill from and it was cheap as chips and works fine. I just googled and Cookson Gold do one but it doesnlt have the extension thing with it - if you go for Non Dremel make sure it has variable speeds - some of the hobby ones just have on/off switch
      Chris xx
      My Website
      My Blog

Comment

Thanks Chris for answering in more detail - now I get to use the PC all night without having to share.
        Auntynet

Comment

Eyup Net I added the bit about cheaper versions cos if I knew then what i know now I wouldn't go for the dremel cos they r so expensive. How come you get the pc all to yourself? have you locked him down the cellar?
          Chris xx
          My Website
          My Blog

Comment

I got a box of 30 diamond bits and grinding shapes from Maplins for my dremel and noticed they have a non branded on there quite cheap

Comment

Thanks for the info. OH found one from Screwfix for £100. It has lots of extras with it. Not sure if its right though.
              Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=133532
                is the same as mine - hope it helps x
                Chris xx
                My Website
                My Blog

Comment

Oh thats a bit cheaper Where would you get something to hold the stone in place?

Comment

A big lump of blue tack in a plastic tub full of water, works well, stops the stone moving about and keeps everything cool (very important).
                    Buy the cheapest diamond bits you can, Ive bought cheap and dear ones, the dearest being £7 each from the usa, they all seem to last as long as each other.
                    I dont use the dremel thing much now as Ive found a big press drill from China that is driven by belts so you can set the speed to just the right setting, Ive tied a plastic milk bottle half full of water to the operating handle so it puts the right pressure on the drill bit, and stops me getting arm ache, the health and safety would have a fit!!!!
                    The only other tip is to get the first hole through the stone as small as you can then it is very easy to widen it to what you need, also allows you to get the center of your hole in the right place,

Comment

How hot does it get? And could you elaborate on the blue tack in water thingy? Thanks.

Comment

I'm answering on behalf of Urbtaf - he's currently ensconced on the sofa watching a cowboy film (his idea of a good sunday afternoon!)

You should always drill stones underwater cos a diamond drill bit doesn't "cut" the stone, it grinds its way through and can generate enough heat to shatter the stone or burn the drill bit out. The alternative is to have some water nearby so you can keep flicking a bit onto the drilling area but Urbtaf prefers to work underwater. (cos its muckier!)

For best results, drill very slowly with little pressure.

As for the blue tak - it just holds the stone in one place and prevents it from shattering when the drill bit bursts through the other side.

Pic shows Urbtaf's drill and water tub behind the tile (stone) cutter - which incidently works on the same principle as the blade runs through the water chanel.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by auntynet; 14-09-2008, 06:48 PM.
                        Auntynet

Comment

Ooh cool! Thanks. I would have just gone ahead and started drilling any old way lol!

Is drilling rough stones easier than the smoother kind? Or should you not drill the smooth kind? I guess i mean 'untumbled'!?

Comment

No difference except on the smooth stones you should use a round ball burr to make a starting point as this stops the surface getting scratched.

Another thing to know is that you will only be able to drill about 5 stones with one drill bit before its worn out.
                            Auntynet

Comment

Ah ok. I think a lot of this will make more sense when i actually get the drill.

Comment

Working...
                              X