which crimps and pliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which crimps and pliers

hi, i'm new on here and just trying to start making some jewellery which i'm hoping to be able to sell. It's all very scary and i'm sure i'll be asking lots of questions!!
    My first one is: I want to make some floating necklaces I already have the beads and tigertail for one but don't know which are the best crimps? what is the difference between normal crimps and french crimps also what is the difference between the pliers I have seen crimping pliers and magic crimping pliers is there any difference? and do you really need different pliers for different sized crimps?
    thamks leanne
    leanne

Folksy

Etsy

Facebook

Twitter

Hi,

This may help your crimp question:
    http://www.beadstudio.com/faq.php#11

I would think that crimp pliers and magic crimp pliers are the same thing, but without seeing them I can't be sure. As crimps come in different sizes, then yes, if you want crimp pliers, you'll probably need different sizes, or you could just stick to one size.

HTH
    Carol
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Hi

I'm no expert on crimping, for my floating necklaces at the moment I just flatten the crimp. I've sold a few pieces and nobody has complained yet.

There is a difference between crimping pliers and magic crimp pliers. If you look at the youtube video's that beadsbylili has done she will show you how to use crimping pliers. She also has a lot of other very informative and helpful video's on there aswell.

From another youtube video I watched by an American lady I understand that the with magic crimping pliers you just keep rotating the crimp around and eventually the crimp comes out rounded. Don't take my word for it though I'm still trying to get the hang of normal crimping pliers myself and failing miserably.

I was advised to get beadsmith pliers though and to use either beadalon crimps or sterling silver ones. If you put crimps/crimping into the thread search at the top of the page you'll find there's quite a few old threads listed with loads of advice about them.

Hope that is some help!

Debbie

www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Crimps

I manage with just one pair of crimping pliers for two sizes of crimps but I would recommend sterling silver crimps which you can fold twice to gve a neat finish, sometimes the non-silver ones break when folded twice. I have made floating necklaces with illusion wire rather than tiger tail which is almost transparent and threads through the beads without the need to crimp, the effect can be very pretty.
        Chris W.
        x
        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Working...
        X