Fresh water pearls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water pearls

For the very first time ever, I purchased a bargain pack of fresh water pearls.
    Most of them are as I expected, small and odd shaped, but lovely. Unfortunately the large pearls (purple in colour) are badly pitted like they have been bashed off a hard surface. Now I dont know if that is normal for large fresh water pearls or not. If I were to make pieces of jewellery with it mixing either semi precious gemstone or swarovski crystals do you think it could still be a sellable product?
    Also what is the best way to clean these pearls up with out causing further damage to them?
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

I've never actually used them before, but from pictures i've seen they do look a bit bashed about!
    I think if you match them up with loads of other beads they will look really nice.
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

A soft damp cloth but only just damp, pearls are absorbant so will sook up the water if you're cloth is too wet. You basically just wipe each pearl.

Some freshwater pearls can have pit marks it just one of those things if you don't spend hundreds on perfectly cultured pearls then it's something you have to live with.

I've found everyone to be very accepting of the marks but occasionally there will be one or two pearls I have to throw away because they are really badly pitted.
      Caro
      www.garletongems.com

Comment

Just tell everyone that its part of their character and that it makes each one unique.
        My mum bought me a freshwater pearl pendant from Jersey a few years back and its a bit odd looking but it doesnt detract.
        jacksonhen

www.jacksonhennigan.co.uk
        www.maiaweddingsandevents.co.uk

Comment

Pearls are rarely perfect unless you buy Tahitian, which someone asked us for a while back. When net pointed out that they start at about £200 EACH for small size! she decided that cheaper ones would do for her 3 strand necklace

Comment

Thank you this has given me more confidence now to go use them. I will try post pictures once I have made stuff up. I am going to make this jewellery up to sell them at the couple of wedding fayres that I am attending.
            Something Shiny Something Sparkly
            Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
            My blog
            Facebook

Comment

I love the uniqueness of FWP's. The pits, lumps and bumps are all part of the charm. If you work with that then they can look great.
              I think it shows the naturalness of the pearls and they are as mother nature intended!
              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I use them even if they are a bit rough, as the others have said it is part of their charm. I try and match them up and put the best ones at the front of the necklace.
                I have bought quite a few on ebay, you can still get good almost smooth round pearls cheaply. I check the descriptions and photo's very carefully. The button pearls seem to be the best for smoothness.

Melanie

Comment

Working...
                X