What do YOU use "tigertail" wire for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do YOU use "tigertail" wire for?

Helloo everyone, i haven't been around much lately on the boards and haven;t made any jewellery either.

Today i discovered tigertail wire and i was wondering what it is usually used for in jewellery making? i ended up making 2 pairs of lovely earrings. So it was just as well i had one tiny box of crimping beads in my collection. lol.

Anyway one of the pairs i made is double hooped and with the other pair i used 3 dif lengths cut and put beads on each strand so one earring has 3 beaded strands (if that makes sense at all)!!

Would it be any good for bracelets as that will be my next step soon. Or is it better to use memory wire/elastic for bracelets. Please advice. Many thanks in advance.

twinkle

Basically you use tigertail for stringing beads onto - necklaces, bracelets, earrings, anklets and anything else.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Indeed, tigertail can be used for bracelets and necklaces. It's probably the most popular thread in jewellery making. You can also get branded tigertail and names include Beadalon, SoftFlex or Griffin.

This three piece set was made with Griffin stringing wire (branded tigertail). Tried to just put the picture but wouldn't work, so here is the link. http://www.justbeads.co.uk/domino-th...et-p-1544.html

Tigertail is usually 7 strands but the branded one can be 7st, 19st, 49st. The more strands, the more flexible.
      Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Hi,
        As Auntynett said you can use Tigertail for almost anything, i have made bracelets, necklaces, earrings etc using it. I find it really easy to use and you can create a multitude of things.

But you can use memory wire for necklaces & bracelets or elastic for your bracelets - depends what 'look' you are going for - i tend to use elastic for more chunky bracelets tho.

Dont forget to show us some of your creations!

Comment

Tigertail is great for just about everything but watch out because it kinks really easy if you are not careful and that can be a disaster with some designs where the tigertail shows.
          www.littlebead.blogspot.com
          www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by twinkle_77 View Post
            Helloo everyone, i haven't been around much lately on the boards and haven;t made any jewellery either.

Today i discovered tigertail wire and i was wondering what it is usually used for in jewellery making? i ended up making 2 pairs of lovely earrings. So it was just as well i had one tiny box of crimping beads in my collection. lol.

Anyway one of the pairs i made is double hooped and with the other pair i used 3 dif lengths cut and put beads on each strand so one earring has 3 beaded strands (if that makes sense at all)!!

Would it be any good for bracelets as that will be my next step soon. Or is it better to use memory wire/elastic for bracelets. Please advice. Many thanks in advance.

twinkle

Tiger tail is great for floating necklaces but can kink if you are not careful - I made this set for a couple of new you tube vids (it sounds like the earrings are similar to the ones you designed) - they are being edited ready for upload but you can see how its used for the necklace from these pics:

Hope that helps !
            Mel

Comment

I use tigertail for necklaces and bracelets as well. I find that it's really strong and can be used in most designs.

I have not used it to make earrings yet but I may have a go as all of your piccies look really good.
              www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Comment

Tiger Tail

7 strand beading wire is OK for small beads but if you want to use medium or large size beads it may wear through. 49 strand wire is best to use for bracelets and necklaces made with larger beads, it doesn't kink and drapes more beautifully. Why not experiment with different makes. I use memory wire and elastic for bracelets as well as beading wire. Different stones need a different presentation and it is hard to say which is most popular with customers.
                Chris W.
                x
                Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Does anyone have a tutorial for tigertail earrings?
                  Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
                    Does anyone have a tutorial for tigertail earrings?

Here you go: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0AsFRpifF3w

(this is for the earrings pictured earlier on in this thread...)
                    Mel

Comment

Wow such great replies!! Thanks everyone.

I think i may start using this wire more now as i previously have only worked with silver/gold plated wire for earrings, and as i want to move on to experimenting a bit more i made those pair of earrings as described above using the tiger tail wire and they looked fab and were pretty easy to make.

I have seen some tutorials where people have made bracelets using memory wire, and they look really cool, think this will be my next "experiment" !!

Comment

Cheers for the tutorial
                        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Working...
                        X