Silver wire source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver wire source?

I need to find a good source for sterling silver wire for making jewelry. I use other metals when making things for gifts or sale but I can only use gold or silver in my own pieces as I have metal allergies. I was getting the wire locally but the shop recently closed. I make earrings, bracelets and necklaces out of my beach finds - lovely sea-polished quartz, shells and sea glass. Occasionally, I make beads from small pieces of driftwood, also.
    to make spa products for fun or profit

googled...'silver wire' lots of suppliers show up...not sure whats a good buy though bit out of touch with silver value
    Suz
    http://8thofthe8thofthe8th.blogspot.com/ new for 2012

http://shroshirescrappersuz.blogspot.com/ 2009-2011

Comment

I tend to use Cooksons as they do a good variety and the more you order, the cheaper it becomes. They have a handy little device on their site when you're chosing the amount of wire which tells you the weight of it and how much you're paying for that weight. It you order over a certain amount then things get a lot cheaper.

I've heard a lot of people mention Palmer metals as well, although I've not used them. I think they may be more economical if you're ordering smaller amounts but that's an educated guess really. I've used Rashbels in the distant past and I have a feeling Suttons tools sell silver now.

Hope that gives you somewhere to get started! And look forward to seeing some of your work too - I've made a few pendants from shells I've found on the beach but I'd never have thought of using driftwood for beads! Sounds lovely.
      http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

I order all my wire from Cookson’s but you need to check the weight each time as some times you can get almost twice as much for not a lot more. Now each time I place an order I make sure that I’m not close to a price break.

It makes sense to use the price breaks as much as possible, maybe ordering for a future project at the same time.

Comment

My OH uses wire more than I do and he gets his in small quantities from US ebay sellers. Reckons it works out much cheaper than the UK suppliers.
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

It depends on the thickness of the wire you are using. Cookson Gold's wire is quite thick ....I cant really use it for my wire wrapping. I used to get my silver wire mainly from the USA but I also now can purchase it from The Bead Shop in Nottingham and Jules Gems which is great because you dont have the worry of how long will it take to get here. Unfortunately I still need to import 14ct gold fill
            Both these companies will come up in a google search of these names.
            Diana
            Something Shiny Something Sparkly
            Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
            My blog
            Facebook

Comment

I suppose the quality of the silver wire does not enter in until your design is over 7.78 grams for silver. Once over that you can’t call it silver without it being hallmarked. I think that’s right.

If your designs will pass the 7.78 grams then you have to be careful with the supplier as it will require testing to get the best return selling.

Still looking to sort out a hallmark as most things I do seem to be in the 13 to 14 grams.

Comment

Hi there,
                I also get my silver from cookson's & as mentioned before you can end up with double the amount you were originally going to buy for less money! I just keep increasing the lenghth of wire & check the price & until i find the best value for money. It can be time consuming but definately worth it!
                I also use Kernowcraft for some supplies & have found that the odd type of silver wire can actually be cheaper from them (although mostly it's cheaper on cookson's).
                Hope this is of some help,
                Clairex
                www.silver-fusion.co.uk

Comment

I get mine from Palmer Metals. Very good value and fast delivery.
                  Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
                  http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
                  http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

I use The Dragonfly Company, Cookson's, Palmer's Metals, Ebay, Fire Mountain Gems (USA), The Silver Corporation.

Basically I shop around when I need something and go with the cheapest - it can vary everytime, suppose it depends on the market.

The most complicated bit about buying wire is the thicknesses. The USA use guage measurements but here in the UK we use millimetres - no end of confusion!!!
                    Caro
                    www.garletongems.com

Comment

Thanks everyone

Some great places for me to check out. I'm in the US so I'll start with those suppliers first as it would probably be cheaper. I never thought to try eBay but I will now. I don't make a lot of pieces so I don't need a real bulk supply. When I find something on the beach that I want to create a piece from, I just like to have the materials on hand. Otherwise, whatever I find seems to end up getting lost before it gets incorporated into a project.

To whoever said they hadn't thought of using driftwood for beads - I'm on the New England coast so that may affect what is found but I'm always finding small bits of wood that is worn smooth and is perfect for beads. Usually all I have to do is stick a thin awl through and then coat it with varnish or polyurethane for shine and protection. I don't cut the beads from larger chunks of driftwood.
                      to make spa products for fun or profit

Comment

Ah...sorry I didnt realise you were in USA. In that case the 2 suppliers I know of are Rio Grande (although I havent actually ordered from them as I found the order process very confusing) and this company ....
                        http://www.wire-sculpture.com/store/index.php
                        Diana
                        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                        My blog
                        Facebook

Comment

I use Palmer's Metals and Cooksons. All sizes, choose your own length. Just run out of 1mm myself.

Comment

Originally posted by snowdrops View Post
                            I use Palmer's Metals and Cooksons. All sizes, choose your own length. Just run out of 1mm myself.
                            Snowdrops this thread is long since dead 2008 !!!!!

Mo.XX
                            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                            Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                            www.bodrighy.co.uk
                            https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by thebaglady View Post
                              I need to find a good source for sterling silver wire for making jewelry. I use other metals when making things for gifts or sale but I can only use gold or silver in my own pieces as I have metal allergies. I was getting the wire locally but the shop recently closed. I make earrings, bracelets and necklaces out of my beach finds - lovely sea-polished quartz, shells and sea glass. Occasionally, I make beads from small pieces of driftwood, also.
                              Hello there,

We might be able to help.

Can you let me know all your requirements in the wire, thickness, length quanityt etc etc?

Many thanks

Boo

Comment

Working...
                              X