Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manchester we have a problem . . . . . . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester we have a problem . . . . . . . . . .

Some of you crafters will know that about 3 months ago we relocated on Bury's "World Famous Market" http://www.burymarket.com/ to a new unit in a much better position. Before this we had struggled for 2 years in a crap position and had almost reached the point of giving up. We moved at the end of May this year to a much brighter unit on a more prominant aisle and since then our sales have steadily increased by about 20% per week and its showing no signs of slowing down. We trade for 3 days per week, we visit the crystal wholesaler one day a week (cos we also sell crystals and healing stones) and the other 3 days are spent trying to make enough stock to keep the stall running smoothly. At the moment we have one local crafter that makes crochet beaded jewellery that we sell on a commission basis.

Our problem now is that we need more stock than we can produce and we are reluctant to "buy-in" from the mass producers. We have toyed with the idea of renting out shelf space to other jewellery makers but to be honest, we've rented space ourselves in the past and we feel that its not always viable to the crafter.

What we are wanting to do is invite jewellery makers to help us and try to make some profit for themselves. If you feel that you have one or two pieces that you'd like to leave with us on a sale or return basis then PM me and we'll talk further. Ideally we would prefer local crafters - that is either local to Bury, Manchester where we sell or local to Barnsley, South Yorkshire where we live. Either way, it gives both us and you the chance to meet in person and to do this thing right.

What we offer our customers is something they cannot buy anywhere else at realistic prices - you have to bear in mind that we trade on a regular market stall and not in some posey shopping centre / retail outlet with inflated prices. What we want to offer you is the chance to help us maintain our stock levels and standards and the chance to sell your stuff. There are no hard and fast rules (as yet) cos this is a first for us as well as some of you so the rules will be agreed as we work alongside each other.

And to all of you that are feeling like we did when we first started in this game, if you haven't got the confidence, for whatever reason - don't be scared cos we are real, down to earth people, we've been making a living out of selling our wares for a few years and have a pretty good idea of what is marketable. We are open to suggestions if you are and if you want to come and see us we are open every Wed, Fri and Sat but we prefer visitors on Fridays when its not quite so busy.

Rest assured, everything will be above board and we are members of the National Market Traders Federation who will not tolerate underhand activity. This gives you peace of mind when entering into any venture with one of its members. Likewise, Bury Market management are "like rotweillers" - they take no nonsense as there is a waiting list to trade on the market.

Looking forward to hearing from people that can help us and maybe benefit from this venture.
    Auntynet and Urbtaf.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Hiya Net I would be happy to talk with you - I am up to my eyes until next week as I am doing the Country Show at Cusworth on Sunday - so we could look at getting together some time after that.
    Chris xx
    My Website
    My Blog

Comment

What a great idea!

I am not local but it sounds like a fabulous opportunity for the local crafters to get in on it as many of us do not have the time to run our own stall.
      www.beadlab.com

Comment

That's a really good idea!!!

I'm certainly not local, but I really hope you get a good response from this, if a market stall holder did something like this near to me I'd jump at the chance

If you ever decide to look further afield I'd be very interested, but I totally understand why you want to look at local crafters to start with.

Claire
        Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
        Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
        www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Sounds like a great idea - I'm near Knutsford, is that local enough for you?
          www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
          www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
          Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
          Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

OOhhh me please. I've felt to cheeky to ask when we've been chatting. Do you think my Amethyst necklaces will sell? Oh and even my new line in Tiaras?

Don't be scared in aproching Auntynet and Urbtaf they are the 2 nicest stall holders I've met in a long while. I've only known the a couple of months but we have become good friends. Bury market is a busy market and aproching christmas it gets packed to the gils belive me.

Good luck with this venture I'm off on my jollie holies tomorrow so will take my traveling jewelry kit with me and come up with some new ideas.
            "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
            my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Sadly I am not at all local so cannot take you up on your generous offer. I am sure that you will get lots of response, it's good to see crafters supporting each other.
              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by Kiamyka View Post
                Hiya Net I would be happy to talk with you - I am up to my eyes until next week as I am doing the Country Show at Cusworth on Sunday - so we could look at getting together some time after that.
                Will try and get up to see you on Sunday - its time we had a day out.

Originally posted by CeeGee View Post
                Sounds like a great idea - I'm near Knutsford, is that local enough for you?
                If its near enough for you to travel to us on the market then we can talk.

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
                OOhhh me please. I've felt to cheeky to ask when we've been chatting. Do you think my Amethyst necklaces will sell? Oh and even my new line in Tiaras?

Don't be scared in aproching Auntynet and Urbtaf they are the 2 nicest stall holders I've met in a long while. I've only known the a couple of months but we have become good friends. Bury market is a busy market and aproching christmas it gets packed to the gils belive me.

Good luck with this venture I'm off on my jollie holies tomorrow so will take my traveling jewelry kit with me and come up with some new ideas.
                Yes, Gill you can bring some of your stuff. Was going to ask you a few weeks ago but we were still discussing it. Yesterday we had our busiest trading day ever and its got to the stage where I only have 3 other necklace sets in back-up stock so that's what pushed us into making our minds up.

Thanks sooooooo much for telling everyone how nice we are - I wanted to say it myself but its always better coming from someone else.

You're also right about the market being big - check out the link in my original post and see. And its sometimes very busy. We get coach loads of tourists in every day and sometimes they come from miles. If anyone decides to come and see us at work then make sure you allow yourself some time to go shopping - you can get some great bargains for yourself.

If anyone is interested but still unsure about it - just PM me and we'll talk about it. No pressure.
                Auntynet

Comment

Hi Auntynet, I've checked the mileage & PM'd you!
                  www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
                  www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
                  Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
                  Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                    Will try and get up to see you on S
                    unday - its time we had a day out.
                    Brill -you will be able to have a good luck at my range and prices - the range has changed a lot since we met gawd 20 months ago lol - and i agree you are nice
                    here are the details.....
                    Doncaster Country Fair
                    Sunday 17 August, 11:00am - 5:00pm
                    Cusworth Hall, Museum & Park, Cusworth Lane, Doncaster DN5 7TU
                    This popular event includes traditional country crafts, animals, community stalls and a fun fair. Car parking £3.50
                    For further information please telephone 01302 782342

Chris xx
                    My Website
                    My Blog

Comment

Shame I'm so far away, I wouldn't mind helping out.
                      My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
                      Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

Sounds like an excellent idea, good luck with it all and I wish every success to those who join in.

Last time I went to Bury, it was a very eerie snowy day... so I spent most of it in the pub warming myself up before a football match, before getting a load of verbal abuse from some young boys on the tram back to Manchester.

Si.
                        Wood Tattoos
                        Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                        Facebook
                        Flickr
                        Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the postcode Chris - saves me looking it up.

And Si, I can assure you no-one on the market would treat you like that - least of all us.
                          Auntynet

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                            Thanks for the postcode Chris - saves me looking it up.

And Si, I can assure you no-one on the market would treat you like that - least of all us.

Sorry, auntynet, I didn't mean to suggest that was my take on Bury as a whole... I was just reminiscing about my Uni days in the Manchester area! If I was closer to your market, I would definitely pop along and would also be interested in getting involved in your proposal.

Si.

P.S. I stopped the main gobby youth on the tram in his tracks anyway... I was sat with a friend and this lad kept asking if we were gay. I replied "Why? Would you like a kiss?" and he vanished funnily enough...
                            Wood Tattoos
                            Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                            Facebook
                            Flickr
                            Twitter

Comment

Sounds brill!!! Shame im in Scotland Or i would have jumped at the chance!
                              Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Working...
                              X