strange request but ............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange request but ............

last year a lady I know on the internet made me a pair of earrings using real polo mints , she said she sprayed them with something to make them suitable
    unfortunately I wore them on a hot day and they became very sticky lol
    does anyone know how I could make another pair and just wear them in the winter lol
    www.sunrisecards.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

I assume they were just varnished!?
    That would make them watertight.
    Or you could try encasing them in some sort of resin? I havnt tried this yet but its on my to do list, although the resin ive been looking at is rather pricey and it only encases things of certain widths.
    Rudi

Comment

I know when doing an art project you can spray varnish the sweets, it stops the bugs getting at them for the sugar. I think polos have a long life anyway don't they out of the wrapper, may be the varnish would protect from knocks and bugs.

Comment

varnish it is then !!
        sorry for all the questions but how do I attach them to the earring thing then - see i know all the technical terms lol
        I've still got the original sticky pair yuk and it looks like theres a small hole drilled in the top and some sort of screw type thing that then goes into it with a loop to attach it
        www.sunrisecards.co.uk
        http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

Once you get started on the new pair couldn't you take the old ones apart and re make them with new polos, I'm guessing the small hole would have been done with a dremmel. make sure you get varnish into the holes to unless she used some kind of sealant around it or does the bar fit snug.

Comment

Im not a jewellery expert but i do make my own jewellery, if it were me id probably drill i small hole in the top and just put a jump ring through, then attach the earring finding to it.
            Im not sure were you would purchase a jewellery drill from though.
            Rudi

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
              a jewellery drill from though.
              Rudi
              Hi Rudi would it be worth trying the dremmel, Woolworths do a small cheaper version for about £5 if you get in on the sale's and they have the small bits with them.

Can i ask what a jewelry drill is as very interested

Comment

I may try one of those!
                Well in my jewellery classes we just used a small hand drill, not specificaly for jewellery im sure, but with very small drill pieces that were perfect for making tiny neat holes!
                Very handy.
                Rudi

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                  I may try one of those!
                  Well in my jewellery classes we just used a small hand drill, not specificaly for jewellery im sure, but with very small drill pieces that were perfect for making tiny neat holes!
                  Very handy.
                  Rudi
                  They are nifty little things just look like mini kitchen Electric whiskers. If you don't see it under basic drills, look under glass etching drill as they do 2 sets and they are both the same hand tools but with different bits.

So which ever one you get you can , then pick up the bits on line, beware places like B&Q only stock Dremmel make and they are pricey.

Actually for a combination box set, keep an eye on Lidls only £2.99 wooden box and 40 bits of different ends, not the best quality but fine for starters to know which bits you use most.

Comment

Working...
                  X