Posting jewellery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting jewellery

Having been checking over the Royal Mail's site it seems that they now don't insurance jewellery, even if it is under £30, through the normal post. they want you to send it Special Delivery and even Recorded does not cover it.

How do people here deal with this? It pretty much means that postage for jewellery is a fiver which is steep for something that's probably very light. Do you absorb it into the cost of the jewellery, or charge how much it'll cost you, or do you just send it Recorded or normal mail and hope it doesn't get lost!?

I'd be interested in the answers to this as it seems very expensive yet at the same time, not doing it could end up losing you money should something get lost.

Any ideas anyone?
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

i never send recorded delivery, and have never once had anything lost with hundreds of items, so i trust the post. however i offer recorded delivery (especially to overseas customers) if they are willing to pay the extra delivery. maybe ask your customers if they're willing to pay extra to ensure they definately recieve their items.. :S it's a tough one!

Comment

According to the Royal Mail website special next day delivery covers you for up to £2,500, but obviously comes at a price !!
      I send mine by recorded delivery and absorb the cost into the jewellery, that way my buyer and I both have a bit of added peace of mind.
      I have been selling online mainly through ebay for about 8 years and only ever had 3 pieces go missing and 2 of those was during the postal strike.
      Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
      my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
      my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

I sent a ring through the post the other day and it got squashed. Even although it was in a ring box and a jiffy bag!!! I was just filling in the claim form there too!!! I didnt realise jewellery wasnt covered! ggggrrrr
        Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

i sell almost exclusvly though galleries and always send my work special delivery. i do the same when sending my work to the assay office. it is expencive but you im (am trying to) trying to do this as a buisness and i sending things by special lets eveyone know that i care what happens to my work.

Comment

I think the number of lost parcels is indeed quite low (I send hundreds of items a week normal first class post and I maybe have about 1 or 2 lost a month, more around Christmas though!).

As someone suggested, if you send it recorded at least you know the recipient has received it and you've got peace of mind (cost an extra 72p per parcel).
            Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

So I guess at least if you send it Recorded then you know when the recipient has got it, even if, should it get lost, you'll have to refund them from your own pocket. I guess for the more expensive pieces it's a case of using Special Delivery and probably absorbing the cost (rather than frighten people off!).

Thanks so much for the replies. It's really helpful to know how other people deal with this as it's something that has kind of put me off trying to sell online since I discovered the Royal Mail had this policy.

Yes, Chris, I've sent work to the assay office and sent it Special - it's worth too much to risk any other way.

Sorry the ring got squashed, Snowy, especially when it was well packaged. Might be worth filling in the form anyway, see if you can get something back? I'd double-check before giving up on it.

Comment

I always send Recorded Delivery - if not, a high percentage simply get stolen. It seems like if there's a parcel that looks like it might be intereresting, if there's no way of the sender tracking it, then the post people just steal it if they fancy it. After all, who's ever going to know who took it?

With Recorded, there's a trail of what offices it's been to, and whose route it's on, and of the signature it gets when it arrives - so they can get picked up on it if it doesn't arrive, and so it's not worth stealing it.
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Don't get me started with Royal Mail

They lose so many of my parcels, the places I regularly buy things are going to start thinking I am lying

I have a parcel missing at the moment (£100 worth of beads, posted 1 week ago, first class), but as the post office lost my last 3 orders from these people, I am reluctant to report it in case they think I am trying to **** them. The company has always posted me replacements but never recovered the original...... the company has probably lost a couple of hundred quids worth of stock this way.

I live in a tenement flat with 3 doors on my landing and 10 doors (i think) altogether on the stair, I also order most of my stuff online and I get mail on average about twice a week at the moment....... it's not on, it really isn't.

Oh, the best one was a sunday a few weeks ago, I had been ebaying quite heavily and ordered and paid for at least one item a day for a week. No mail for an entire week, then hung over one sunday, the buzzer goes for the flat, answer it "post" he calls out. Now suspicious me, thinking it is a **** to get me to open the door, runs to the front of the flat and see, it is indeed the post man standing on the step.

SUNDAY! six parcels on a sunday!

This tells me that they had been saving all of my post for the entire week and decided to deliver in a van on a sunday....... they all had different post marks......

aaaaggghhhhh....... told you not to get me started on Royal Mail!
                  www.beadlab.com

Comment

On a Sunday? I didn't even know they did that!

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
                      Don't get me started with Royal Mail

They lose so many of my parcels, the places I regularly buy things are going to start thinking I am lying

I have a parcel missing at the moment (£100 worth of beads, posted 1 week ago, first class), but as the post office lost my last 3 orders from these people, I am reluctant to report it in case they think I am trying to **** them. The company has always posted me replacements but never recovered the original...... the company has probably lost a couple of hundred quids worth of stock this way.

I live in a tenement flat with 3 doors on my landing and 10 doors (i think) altogether on the stair, I also order most of my stuff online and I get mail on average about twice a week at the moment....... it's not on, it really isn't.

Oh, the best one was a sunday a few weeks ago, I had been ebaying quite heavily and ordered and paid for at least one item a day for a week. No mail for an entire week, then hung over one sunday, the buzzer goes for the flat, answer it "post" he calls out. Now suspicious me, thinking it is a **** to get me to open the door, runs to the front of the flat and see, it is indeed the post man standing on the step.

SUNDAY! six parcels on a sunday!

This tells me that they had been saving all of my post for the entire week and decided to deliver in a van on a sunday....... they all had different post marks......

aaaaggghhhhh....... told you not to get me started on Royal Mail!

You don't live southside do you? I am out to END the postman. Sometimes he doesn't come for more than SIXTEEN DAYS. Then he claims he can't get in the close, because the service button isnt working. (Eh, it isn't working, because its set to let you in for the morning, not 4:30pm!) And he REFUSES point blank to buzz the house buzzers instead of the service ones, meaning I have to walk 1/2 a mile down to the sorting office to pick up my mail that he hasn't even thought about delivering!

I wish our old postman were still delivering here. Not only did he do his job, he also provided us with weather updates and other chat. Plus I recognised his voice, so when he shouted ITS THE POSTMAN! through the buzzer, I knew it was actually him - I've already been tricked by someone claiming to be the postie, and I'm now a bit worried about letting folk in the close, so on the odd occasion he brings a parcel, I don't answer the house door, incase its some maniac

Comment

Linz - no I am in the west end. I know what you mean about the service buzzer too, out postman comes after 1pm, when the service buzzer is set for half 9 or something

About the Sunday delivery, no they don't, as a rule, deliver on a sunday, they just reckon they had a "backlog" aye right you had a backlog, it's because you haven't delivered any mail for 7 days!

I used to live on the southside and the post man was just rude.... he rang the buzzer constantly for 5 minutes until he got an answer, he must just have leant on ALL of them.... then when you did answer to him he just shouted "postman" in the most obnoxious tone I have ever heard........ No wonder they are losing money at royal mail!
                        www.beadlab.com

Comment

I insure my stuff privately now because the royal mail won't cough up on recorded items if they go missing if they're considered jewellery. For the cost of special delivery can be as much if not more than the cost of the actual item i'm posting!
                          Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
                          Dichroic Glass Tutorials
                          Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

Working...
                          X