Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing rose quartz - any tips?

Hi,

After much trial and error I'm getting better at photographing my jewellery (I hope), but still have real problems getting a decent picture of rose quartz. I feel like I've read every article out there on jewellery photography, yet no matter what I do rose quartz always seems to look washed out and a bit grey - I can't seem to capture that delicate pale pink. If anyone here has cracked it and would like to share the secret, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,
    Carolyn
    www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
    www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
    Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
    Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

I use a cubelite system, which is basically a white box with a tungsten light - you can get them in a variety of sizes and it makes product photography very easy - even if you're a novice.... perhaps searching for "cubelite" in google could be interesting for you.
    http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk
    http://www.maiaembroidery.com

Comment

Why not ask forum member Ian Beckerton - he's a professional photographer and is always happy to help anyone with photography questions. Jewellery is definitely his field as he works for some of the top designers so he's the one with all the know how.

Also search the forum for previous threads on photographing jewellery as there have been quite a few and they've all got excellent tips and advice.
      Last edited by auntynet; 06-08-2008, 10:38 PM.
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Hi Carolyn - I've had problems with rose quartz but my partner took this photo for me

But I've given up with my camera and the image below is scanned which I've found much easier for most things.

My Website - www.lavidalerie.com
        FaceBook Page- www.lavidalerie.com/JewelleryMakingHolidaysandWorkshops.html
        I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied! I have a light box & professional lights which work well for me on some things but not really on rose quartz. I'll give scanning a go and see how that works for me - think that's about the only thing I haven't tried! Judging by your picture LaVidalerie it picks up the pink shades well. Thanks again!
          www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
          www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
          Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
          Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

Rather than using a flash, use good lighting but a high aperture and longer shutter speed. It should bring out the light a lot better in the pink. hope it works. If not, use saturation enhancements on photoshop, by selecting only the pink regions.

Comment

Working...
            X