Beadalon wire - fraying?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beadalon wire - fraying?????

Today I've had a customer return 2 bracelets to me that "worked loose/bigger". They're chipbead bracelets that I made about 6 weeks ago and obviously I offered to re-string them or give her the money back. She asked for them re-stringing and wasn't funny with me at all about it - even ordered another (more expensive bracelet) when she saw the beads I was working with today.

Anyway, when I took the original bracelet apart I noticed that the nylon coating on the wire is just disintegrating and so the actual wire is fraying which is what had caused her bracelet to "stretch" about 2". I used Beadalon 7 strand 0.015". Its nothing to do with fraying near the crimps - it was fraying in several places and this has never happened before.

I just wondered if anyone has ever had this problem.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

I've not encountered the problem before, but I would imagine it's caused by rough edges in a couple of the chips.
    At least your client will see that you stand by your product and are repairing them.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Yes I agree that I think it would be the rough edges of the chips that are doing the damage. I wonder if it would help if you waxed it before stringing? Haven't encountered the problem myself though.
      www.littlebead.blogspot.com
      www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Thats what I thought at first but when I took it to pieces to re-string the chips, the nylon coating just slides off the wire core and it literally just disintegrates between my finger and thumb.

Don't think its just wear and tear cos I've got chip bracelets I've made in exactly the same way that I've had for almost 2 years and I've worn them in the bath and whilst I've been washing up etc and they're still going strong.

OH suggested that the customer may be wearing them whilst swimming or whilst emersing her hands/wrists in some kind of cleaning solution that may be a bit caustic.

I've re-strung dozens of chip bracelets for regular customers and never had a problem with any others and I suppose that's what is making me think that its something that the customer has done to make this happen.

If it is the chips that have sharp edges, then can anyone suggest an alternative thread to use other than elastic.
        Auntynet

Comment

Maybe go for a more heavy duty thread? I personally think the beadalon 7 strand is too fine, but I am used to using the acculon 7 strand which is much thicker.

I s'pose it depends on how big the holes are in the beads really.
          www.beadlab.com

Comment

Hi,
            I havent come across beadalon fraying, I have found it to be very strong, possibly the chips rubbing may have frayed it.

Sally

Comment

Can I make a suggeston since I haven't heard of this happening before ......

email Beadalon directly and ask whether they've had any problems, before suspecting you customer has misused the bracelet.

If you go to their site www.beadalon.com there should be a contact us link

Regards
              Debbie
              www.beadservice.net
              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Originally posted by Beadservice View Post
                Can I make a suggeston since I haven't heard of this happening before ......

email Beadalon directly and ask whether they've had any problems, before suspecting you customer has misused the bracelet.

If you go to their site www.beadalon.com there should be a contact us link

Regards
                Debbie
                Thanks for that advice Debbie - you are so right, I shouldn't be too quick to blame someone else!
                Auntynet

Comment

Problem solved.

UPDATE:-

After taking Debbie's advice I went on the beadalon website and found the answer to my problem on the FAQ's page.

Question:

I'm having trouble with wire breakage in bracelets I've made using small ( 4mm, 6mm, 8mm) semi-precious stones and silver beads on Beadalon 19-strand, .015-inch diameter. They stretch and break in the wire, not near the clasp/crimp. With daily wear, they stretch and break within a couple months. What have I overlooked? Please advise.

Answer:

"I would recommend using a larger diameter of wire for your bracelets. Since they've broken, I'm guessing that the problem is abrasion. Also, don't skip reaming your beads. A bead reamer is a round file used to eliminate any rough spots on the inside of the holes that might damage the wire.
                  Since Beadalon 19-strand is made of stainless steel, what you're seeing isn't stretching, but untwisting, which can happen under heavy strain. 49-strand has a different internal construction, with 7 bundles of 7 strands twisted together - that doesn't allow untwisting. So moving to 49-strand in the largest possible diameter should prevent your ""stretching"" problem."

It appears it is my fault after all and I need to buy the more expensive thread and stop trying to cut corners - parden the pun! - to try and save a few bob. I now stand corrected.

Thanks everyone for your input.
                  Last edited by auntynet; 06-08-2008, 12:01 AM.
                  Auntynet

Comment

Hey, it's not your fault, it's all a learning curve.

You did say that you had made several and these are the only ones that came back, so I wonder if it is the beads?

I have had the same problem in the past with a very heavy glass necklace, but after re-stringing it with a double thickness of acculon I have not had a problem.

I think acculon is cheaper than beadalon too.......
                    www.beadlab.com

Comment

Working...
                    X