Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Mill YAY!

Oh Joy!

I am going to get a rolling mill delivered to me in august! Ever so exciting, can't wait for the rolling mill fun to begin!

And it will give my right arm a work out- hopefully i wont get an uber muscled right arm and my left one will still be weed convered in a layer of flab-haha eww that isnt a nice word.
    www.clarenash.co.uk

What's a rolling mill?
    sound's very exciting!
    www.beadlab.com

Comment

OOH I'm soooo jealous I would love one of those. I used one a t night school to put a lace pattern on copper it was realy cool.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

yes-I wanted one for ages! Its a machine that has two steel rollers that you can put metal through to stretch it or put textures onto the metal, using paper, fabrics anything less than 4mm (for my micro mill) and that wont damage the steel rollers.
        www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

Well done, I got one a month or two ago.

I got a cheep one where you have to change the rollers if you want to do wire or flat sheet.
          I use it a lot to roll jump rings in to ellipses to make most of my bracelets so far.
          . Also if you need small amounts of solder, just mill it down to a ¼ of its starting size and you can easily cut small bits.

Still waiting to try embossing the silver.
          Good luck with it, just make sure you bolt it down you don’t want 30kg or so of mill dropping on your foot,

Comment

Oh, you lucky thing! I'd love a rolling machine but can't afford one and haven't anywhere to put it anyway! But I do get access to one at my evening class.

I make circles into ellipses too, Witchford, find they look very beautiful and love outting patterns on them as well although it can be a bit hit and miss. I didn't know you could get cheap ones!

So pleased for you, Clare, and, er, yes, you certainly do feel it in your arm muscles to prepare for a bit of a workout!
            http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cool, I really want one of those too!!! Just too much of an out lay at the mo, got to make some money first!!!
              http://www.sophiemariesmithdesign.co.uk/

Comment

I wouldn't be without mine but be careful that you don't strain your muscles which is what I did at first before it was screwed onto a proper stand.
                Best wishes
                Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

hmmm...do you think i neet a stand for it-its a micro mill so i was just gonna bolt it onto the end of my work bench- But now i have an imgae of everything being thrown up into the air when i start turning the handle!
                  www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

I think as long as it's bolted to a heavy bench then you should be okay.

The mill I use used to be attached with bolts and now is attached with a c-clamp but last time I used it someone hadn't tightened the clamp enough and it was scary how much the mill moved around on the bench when I was turning the handle -worrying for my toes underneath it, not to mention the mill itself as I'm guessing if it falls on the floor then it's very dented!

But I think as long as it's firmly attached then it doesn't need a custom stand.

Oh, I was also told that when you carry it, you shouldn't do so by the wheel at the top, as if this comes loose, again, dented mill and painful toes!
                    http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

As long as your bench is attached to the floor, you should be OK. If not, you'll need someone to hold it down or it will lift off the floor. Trying to hold it down whilst turning the handle is what will do your back in.
                      Best wishes
                      Carole

Comment

Originally posted by WitchfordSilverDesigns View Post
                        Well done, I got one a month or two ago.

I got a cheep one where you have to change the rollers if you want to do wire or flat sheet.
                        I use it a lot to roll jump rings in to ellipses to make most of my bracelets so far.
                        . Also if you need small amounts of solder, just mill it down to a ¼ of its starting size and you can easily cut small bits.
                        Still waiting to try embossing the silver.
                        Good luck with it, just make sure you bolt it down you don’t want 30kg or so of mill dropping on your foot,
                        What fixtures will I need for bolting the mill down? Plus i have a bitt of a problem I rent a flat so I can bolt anythign to the floor and my table isnt bolted to the floor and its a wee bit wobbly I hope bolting it to the table will be enough?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! My landlords wouldnt be happy about me drilling into the floorboards!
                        www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

I keep my mill on an old table as I’ve yet to make up a bench, looking at using the table as a source of wood for my bench once I’ve worked out what I want the bench to look like.
                          I don’t think that you would need to do anything other than fixing you mill to your table, as you only do small changes to the metal being milled at a time you should not be putting a lot of force on to the handle. You just don’t want to be holding it with one hand and turning the handle with the other.
                          Either a G-Clamp if you can if you want to move it about or a couple of bolts for a more permanent fix. The main thing is you don’t want it falling off.
                          Still waiting to try the other rollers that came with it, so good luck and lets us know how you get on.

Comment

Maybe you could attach the table leg to some sort of metal plate that you could stand on to prevent it lifting off the floor. If you want to make an imprint on your silver, you'l probably want to do it in one go, so you do need quite a lot of pressure.
                            Best wishes
                            Carole

Comment

yes I will be mainly using it for getting a pattern onto metal-the table is up against a wall so I hope that will help. No bolts came with the mill though does anyone know what type I need and where to get them from?

Thanks Guys,

X
                              www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X