Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody used artclay before if so any pics or tips

hi all

Ive just been looking on a website looking at artclay i saw a piece in a mag about it and was intrigued so went have a look on google.anyway outcome being i must have a go(i will be hob firing to start with) but i just cant believe how good it is.

Anyone had a go at this?anyone got any tips or pics too?

ta hev...
    Last edited by jasmine beads; 22-07-2008, 01:23 PM. Reason: too many ats

Hi
    Here's a set of rings made of PMC3 (similar to Art clay but higher firing temp) there is a quick guide on how to make them withing the thread..
    http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14651

A few tips are:
    1) Buy some badger balm, you'll find it invaluable for stopping the clay sticking to stuff..e.g hands/moulds/stamps etc.
    2) For detail work & carving wait until completely dry (e.g overnight)
    & remember it's fragile until fired
    3)Get the tinyest airtight pot you can get and put any unused waste clay
    fragments in there (e.g filings) mixed with a little water you can make your
    own clay paste (handy for joining breakages / adding embellishments)
    4) Don't form rings directly on a metal ring mandrel it can effect the composition of the metal clay & make it fragile.
    Either use a wooden ring mandrel or cover the metal with cling film to form a physical barrier (then make the ring on paper so you can slide it off before completely dry).
    5) As soon as you cut off a piece of the clay to use, wrap the remainder of the clay back up and put it back into the zip lock package it came in (the clay dries out real fast if you don't do this).
    For storage I usually put some damp kitchen roll in with any remaining clay
    (make sure they don't touch) it helps keep it fresh.
    6) Kiddies wet wipes are really handy to clean clay off fingers, rollers etc while working..

Hope these tips help
    Nic x
    **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
    Different prize every month
    Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
    PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

I've only used PMC, I don't like making rings out of it but that's maybe just me, it's fab for making charm (but more expensive than sterling) and you can make a shape, let it dry and then carve into it allowing you to incorporate more detail. I've also made one in pmc than moulded it with two part moulding compound then made more so it can be a sort of easy way of "casting". I would always try to use the whole packet in one go as I never felt it was as good if you came back to it.

Disadvantages - cost and I've heard that some galleries consider it to be a cheat but I think most things out there that are marked "fine silver" may be PMC or Art Clay.

I did an instructors course and it taught me a lot, I would think it would be worth taking a half day or day workshop in it to get the best out of it and without investing too much (I have a kiln for firing as I found torch firing a bit hit and miss with a number of charms ending up with a slightly melted look.

I've only got a couple of pieces using PMC on my site at the moment and they are quite basic
      lavidalerie.com/Bracelets.b6.html

Good luck !
      karen
      website lavidalerie.com
      My Website - www.lavidalerie.com
      FaceBook Page- www.lavidalerie.com/JewelleryMakingHolidaysandWorkshops.html
      I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Comment

I've been working with PMC for nearly 2 years now, and got my Certification from PMC Studio to Level 2. Can't be too specific yet, but I hope to be able to offer Certification to Level 1 classes in the Autumn to add to my current classes (really exciting if it comes off...) I love working with PMC, and have to agree that you get more consistently good results with kiln firing, but torch firing is good if you are just starting out.
        'Fine silver' seems to be the accepted term for 99.9% pure silver, which is what Art Clay and PMC are. Some silversmiths hold their noses up at it, but I think that there are things you would use traditional silversmithing for, and other things that PMC is better for. I agree too, that a day's training for beginners is worth it's weight in ,well, silver at least! You get to learn a lot of the basics which gives a good base for jumping off from.
        Dont know where you live Jasmine, but I would really recommend a day's class - I do them if you live up Yorkshire way, but anywhere near to you would be good. If you would like to see some piccies, I have some stuff on my somata-pmc site in my sig.
        Hope all that helps
        Mary
        Mary
        www.somata.co.uk
        www.stitchnglass.co.uk
        www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
        www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mary - I agree - When I did my course we were even taught how to "solder" jump rings using PMC and everyone in the room that had any silversmithing experience agreed that there was no way we were going to use PMC for that ! A combination of skills in silversmithing and clay is worth having I think.
          I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Comment

Sorry I meant to add these photos. This is a really simple bracelet I made with PMC flowes (with different textures and different colours using liver of sulphur) and sterling charm bracelet and a bangle with a really basic heart charm made from PMC.
            []
            Last edited by LaVidalerie; 28-07-2008, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LaVidalerie View Post
              Sorry, in my excitement at finally reaching 25 posts and being allowed a signature I misspelt my own website .

This is a really simple bracelet I made with PMC flowes (with different textures and different colours using liver of sulphur) and sterling charm bracelet and a bangle with a really basic heart charm made from PMC.
              []
              I like that, it's so delicate.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum - I've been lurking the last few days going through all the interesting threads!

I've just got into the whole jewellery making thing as a hobby, with the intent to sell if I get any good!

One of my friends suggested artclay/pmc which I've been looking into (facinating stuff)...I was wondering does anyone know if you can etch the silver after it's been fired?

Have also been looking into the whole microwave kiln thingimajig - looks very interesting too.

Thanks,
                Emma
                www.silverflock.com - Handmade fine silver jewellery
                www.emmajacob.com - Illustration

Comment

Working...
                X