Would you sell this!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you sell this!!?

Im having issues with a braclet im doing. Im wanting to up my game a bit. Im using sterling silver findings and beads and trying wire protectors. But one end of this bracelet is so annoying me. I have yet to add the toggle clasp on this.

Would you sell this as it is? Or redo it? One end is tighter than the other and looks much better. I tried my best to get the other end tight but i couldnt!

Good end

Bad end

Here is a fuzzy pic of the overall bracelet.

Last edited by handcrafted; 16-07-2008, 10:59 PM.
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

I think its fine as it is - we all have to start somewhere with new techniques.

but I suppose what it boils down to is, are you happy with it?

Why can't you get the other end tight?

When I fasten off I re-thread the wire back through a few beads and pull it very tight. Then I snip it off and and work the crimp ever so slightly up (only a few millimetres), the sharp end of the thread disappears into the bead, keep the crimp next to the wire protectors and leaving a bit of slack for movement in the bracelet.
    Last edited by auntynet; 16-07-2008, 11:07 PM.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Ah i only bring the wire through the crimp and tuck it into the bead beside the crimp. It might be a bit easier taking it through more beads.

If i redo it il have wasted 2 silver crimp covers.

The question is would anyone buy it as it is. Its not majorly bad, but doesnt look as professional as i would want. It looks a little untidy.

OH thinks i am a perfectionist! But i just want it to look.....perfect!
      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

To be honest we are all over critical of our work. I am one of the worst for it.
        I think the diffrence is so minute that the lay person wouldn't even notice. As long as the conection is secure I wouldn't worry put on the clasp and see if it's still as noticable.
        "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
        my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I'm a perfectionist too, but to be honest, I think you can sell it, the person who buys it probably wont know about jewellery making, so wont know that there's anything wrong with it.

It looks fine, really.
          Sarah x

Muddle Website
          Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Its definitely fine to sell as it is - most people don't have a clue about making jewellery and would not even notice what you think is a big thing.

You should certainly thread it back through more beads - I think it makes it much easier to finish off.
            Auntynet

Comment

Right after putting the toggle clasp on i think its too big anyway. So i am going to redo that end and take off a barrel bead!

Comment

I think it's fine - would a customer notice that one side is slightly tighter than the other?

We are all so critical of our own work but the reason why people buy handmade is because it is just that and not made by a machine where each item of jewellery is exactly the same. Little things like this is what makes our crafts so individual.

It took me ages to get my husband to see the none existent dent in the wire on a tiara I had just made and despite the fact that it had taken me 3 hours to make I wanted to start it again but for the life of me I could not get him to see what I was talking about. Eventually he made me realise that there was nothing there!
                www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Comment

I think we all suffer from this at some point. I am still using plated metal as I don't think I am good enough to use sterling. However, the price reflects this.

I suppose my only question would be is, how much do you want for it? If it is sterling, it attracts a higher price, but people also expect it to be neat and perfect.

I would notice it if I was buying....... I know I am the only one that thinks this, and please don't get upset with me, but I think you should redo it. I never place my final crimp until I am happy with the tension......

At least you will get more practice though!
                  www.beadlab.com

Comment

Yeah i would notice it too. Which is why i am re doing it. Also it doesnt matter now seeing as its too big!

Comment

Yeah, I meant to say, you said you were re-doing it anyway, so that made my post fairly irrelevant, sorry about that!

Good luck with it though!
                      www.beadlab.com

Comment

Originally posted by Muddle Jewellery View Post
                        I'm a perfectionist too, but to be honest, I think you can sell it, the person who buys it probably wont know about jewellery making, so wont know that there's anything wrong with it.

It looks fine, really.
                        Absolutely. How many jewellry makers buy jewellery? I might be wrong but I'm guessing most people buying it aren't making it and are therefore completely unawares of such minor details. I'm no jewellery maker and it looks fine to me!
                        Natalie
                        website blog

Comment

I appreciate what you're saying and if you're not happy then you should re-do it but you should bear in mind that its only someone that actually makes jewellery that looks at the finish - most people just buy jewellery

a) - cos its pretty

b) - to match their outfit

and very rarely do they notice something like loose ends.

I personally would only re-do it if it was a commission piece but having said that, you've already said its now too long when you add the toggle so . . . . the decision has been made for you.
                          Auntynet

Comment

I find if I hook something through the wire protector and thread the wire back through the crimp and a few extra beads, you get a much better grip on it. So can pull it really tight.

If you didn't have to adjust it for the size, I would've thought it was ok to sell, but personally I would've redone it as I'm also a perfectionist. But hats off to you that you're upping your game and working with silver as I'm still not confident enough.

I've been commissioned to make 2 bracelets with garnet & 1 using sterling silver and one using gold filled findings and wire. I've bought everything I need, but keep putting it off as I'm still too scared to make it. The lady wants it in 2 weeks so I still have a bit of time. But still, I'm just not quite ready yet.

I love the colours on those stones btw. Overall the bracelet is beautiful. Show us what it's like once you've made it smaller
                            Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
                            http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
                            http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

Im not sure if its stupidity or confidence lol! Sometimes i just want to try new things and i felt like using sterling so just did it. I am finding it a bit softer than what im used to. But its exciting lol.

This is a basic bracelet just to start off with. I bought some chain too for a charm bracelet but im not sure if its too small for charms to be added. But i have lots of amethyst to use up so might use that lol! Oh but i dont have any sterling lobster clasps.....boo!

Comment

Working...
                              X