Cleaning Jewellery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Jewellery

A very quick question for all you jewellery makers....

Is there a cheap quick way of cleaning jewellery without damaging it?

I'm asking on behalf of a customer
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

what kind of jewellery is it? silver, gold, plated, gem stones, beads?
    Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Hmmm yeah...good question! You can tell I'm not a jewellery maker can't you

The answer is that I'm not sure so maybe any tips on cleaning different types of jewellery could be useful to a few of us on here.
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Sterling silver-you can buy sts cleaning clothes from certain sites or posh jewellery shops.

Swarovski -I tend to dust them or give them a light rub.Not keen on putting my swarovski with sts clasp in water as I dont know how itl effect the sts.I did put a necklace in water a while back to bring the shine back to the swar beads but then remembered to secure the knot(one of my very early necklaces)I had used PVA glue, so the water was unsticking the glue.

Thats all I can think of really.
        https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I have a silver cloth now, its great at getting tarnish off chain, findings etc..
          I only really use silver plated things too.
          Sarah x

Muddle Website
          Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Goddard's Silver Polishing Cloth works wonders on all metals. You can buy them for less than £2 at Wilkinsons, Home Bargains and lots of places like that. You'll find them on the shelf with the Brasso and likewise.

We also use an Ultra-sonic cleaner if its just metal - not recommended for gemstones as the slightest flaw can cause the stones to shatter.

I've also been looking at one of those "cleaning plates" but OH informed me you can achieve the same effect:-

" if you line a bowl with good old fashioned aluminium foil, add 1 tablespoon baking soda and a squirt of lemon juice, pour on boiling water deep enough for your silver to be submerged and add your silver, it creates an electrolitic action between the two dissimilar metals and the dirt is blown away from the silver onto the foil. If its just metal you can leave it for a few minutes but if there are gemstones in the silver then dip it for 30 second bursts until its clean. Any stubborn marks can be polished off with a soft cloth."

Now don't I sound scentific!
            Last edited by auntynet; 16-07-2008, 09:52 PM.
            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Old Wives Tale - I'm not suggesting you try it but on the lighter side of a serious discussion - when I was a child we used to stand rings and small items in a tumbler with a drop of gin in the bottom over night.
              and NO we didn't spend the next day licking the rings.
              Carol
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I have one othe these for my personal jewelry. Have done my rings init lots of times various stones. works on silver and gold a treat. Am I doing my stones any harm?
                In a rush I have used tooth paste on silver to remove the tarnish.
                "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

There are many aids for cleaning old gold jewellery. It could be worthwhile investing in a little ultrasonic cleaning tank to shake out the accumulated dirt from behind items with stones in - be aware though that you could damage some stones so be careful what you put in it. Read up first on what you can and can't put in these tanks. For example, emeralds are, a lot of the time, porous and oil filled. An ultrasonic cleaning tank will remove these oils -which is something you don't want.

Another simple method is to use a gold cleaning cloth which is usually made from 100% cotton impregnated with a special cleaner and anti-tarnish agent, most good jewellers can sell you these.

Heavily tarnished items may benefit from gold jewellery cleaning dip.

This is an intensive cleaner formulated for heavily tarnished gold items. It can also be used on diamonds, precious stones and platinum jewellery but, once again, read the instructions as to what can and can't be put into it.
                  www.fatcowdesigns.co.uk - Black Zirconium and Titanium rings by UK designers GETi
                  Odissa - Online Crafts and Jewellery Marketplace
                  The Guild of Jewellery Designers

Comment

I just use silver dip for solid silver items it's super quick and easy and if you buy the one for cutlery it is much cheaper and you get more than buying the smaller jewellery dips. I think it would harm non silver things but I have even put my chainmail earrings that have swarovskis wired in and it's been fine (but I am not recommending the risk) and they were a nightmare to clean with a cloth.
                    karen website lavidalerie.com
                    My Website - www.lavidalerie.com
                    FaceBook Page- www.lavidalerie.com/JewelleryMakingHolidaysandWorkshops.html
                    I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                      I've also been looking at one of those "cleaning plates" but OH informed me you can achieve the same effect:-

" if you line a bowl with good old fashioned aluminium foil, add 1 tablespoon baking soda and a squirt of lemon juice, pour on boiling water deep enough for your silver to be submerged and add your silver, it creates an electrolitic action between the two dissimilar metals and the dirt is blown away from the silver onto the foil. If its just metal you can leave it for a few minutes but if there are gemstones in the silver then dip it for 30 second bursts until its clean. Any stubborn marks can be polished off with a soft cloth."

Now don't I sound scentific!
                      He's right - I picked one of the plates up at a charity shop for 50p and all it is is a piece of aluminium = the method you described works just as well - this post reminds me I ought to have a page to cover this topic - will let you know when I have done it
                      Chris xx
                      My Website
                      My Blog

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris - was beginning to question my husband's info which is usually very good.
                        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                        X