Lost wax casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost wax casting

I love this method and would love to do some during the summer break. However being the great divvy that I am I keep forgetting to ask my tutor the name of the company we sent our wax models off to be cast in silver. It's the last class on Monday and I'm probably going to forget to ask then too - D'oh!

Sooooooooo, anyone know of any casting companies I can send I can send wax models to?

Hi Polar

The only one that springs readily to mind is Hean Studio in Kingsland, Herfordshire, UK.
    I follow the "Way of the Clay"
    http://www.lockettpots.co.uk

Comment

Excellent, thankyou

I wonder if they're the ones we used. *Note to self* Remember to ask, remember to ask, remember to ask

Comment

Hey,

If you do find out can you post the name on here? Thankyou!
        www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

I'd love to, but wouldn't you just know it I forgot to ask - sorry. I'm such a doofus

Comment

Hi Polar

Do you remember where you did the course? Was it a lost wax casting course? I am looking to do one and would need some advice....if it was not a casting course, does anyone know where I can do a course in Buckinghamshire or Berkshire area? That would be great, thanks a lot
            Antje

Comment

Hi, I did the course in Twickenham and no it wasn't specifically a lost wax casting course - that was just a part of it.

Have you tried the hot courses website ? Some of their listings are a bit out of date but usually they come good

Comment

Hi Polar, thanks for that. Have done quite a bit of research on lost wax casting and it seems you need a lot of new machinery etc. which wouldn't really work for me. I would still need to learn how to do the models etc. and then send them away to a casting firm. If you remember the one you previously forgot, please post it on here, thanks I will keep looking for a casting course nearby me (Buckinghamshire)
                Antje

Comment

Originally posted by lockettpots View Post
                  Hi Polar

The only one that springs readily to mind is Hean Studio in Kingsland, Herfordshire, UK.
                  They are brilliant casters, so are Niagara Falls of Warwick but both would charge too much for a crafters budget. Regret I don't know of casters who do small silver runs, we do large batches ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by antje View Post
                    Hi Polar, thanks for that. Have done quite a bit of research on lost wax casting and it seems you need a lot of new machinery etc. which wouldn't really work for me. I would still need to learn how to do the models etc. and then send them away to a casting firm. If you remember the one you previously forgot, please post it on here, thanks I will keep looking for a casting course nearby me (Buckinghamshire)
                    Antje
                    The models are easy if you are very artistic ( i am not). You just carve your design either in metal or wax ( sometimes other materials such as cuttlefish bone are used ) and send them to the caster to be sprued rubbers made and cast. You really don't need lessons, you teach yourself if you have the aptitude.
                    Casting itself is usually outside the amateurs reach.

Comment

Working...
                    X