Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems forming a ring

Hi I really need some advice!

I am tryign to form a ring out of really thick silver d-wire. its about 8mm wide, 4mm thick and 7.5 mm long. I have got it into a circle but the two ends aren't overlapping so i can't cut a nice join. And it is sooo thick its too hard to hammer and now my hammer is wobbly and the head keeps falling off- maybe I'm not annealing it enough-my handheld torch might not be up to it. Any ideas how i can sort this out without braking my tools and arms?
    www.clarenash.co.uk

Hi Clare. I don't have any advice (sorry). But just looked at your site and I have to say your work is amazing. I have never seen anything like it.
    Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
    http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
    http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

Do you hahe a wooden handle on your hammer? If so you need to put a wedge in the end to tighten it up.

do you get the piece glowing when you aneal it?

There are some good pics on here. http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...tinum-ring.htm
      Last edited by goldy1; 23-06-2008, 12:02 PM.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Yeah i do get it glowing -just about with my tiny blowtorch- i think i just dont have the strength!!

Thanks babushka- I worry people think my jewellery is a bit odd!
        www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

I have had the same problem in the past, I'm ashamed to say that I just got annoyed and gave up on it, and went back to using thinner wire for more delicate rings

I hope you managed to sort it out - I'd love to know how you did it in the end if you managed it? I've just checked out your stuff too (sorry if that's a bit off topic) and think it's amazing - really original it's so nice to see new ideas in jewellery making.

Comment

Thankyou craftychick-its really nice to get positive feedback-it hekps keep me motivated to make more stuff! I am going to make some more mainstream stuff that I can sell so I can keep doing some different jewellery.

I am not going to give up on this blasted wire!! I had a tantrum yesterday when the top of my hammer fell off. But i will go back to it again and again! it may take me a week to get these ends to meet!!! I may just have to invest in a bigger and meaner blow torch and hammer now that its broken. I will get a hide mallet instead of a rubber one methinks.
            www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

Ah the problem may be the type of hammer you are useing. I used a metal one.
              "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
              my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

it might be a little late if you've already cut it but it's always a goot idea to form the ring using a longer lenth as you can use the remainder as leverage.

when you are annealing silver the dull pink/red colour sould be mantained for about 30 secs and the quenced when it stops glowing. due to the copper in the alloy if you dont quench the metal wont be as soft as it can be.

Chris

Comment

also dont worry about making you ring prefectly round and having the ends meet at the same time. making the ring round is alot easier after its all soldered and the forming will harden up the silver again ready for polishing.

Comment

Working...
                  X