Blast from the past.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast from the past.

All the talk of Silver etching and patiner got me thinking back to the Evening classes I used to go to for Jewelry/silversmithing. I wonderd if the mailorder company (Way back befor the internet was a household thing) I used a lot was still going. A little googling and I came up with thier site. Not only that but I found them still selling my favourite book. http://www.kernowcraft.com/Product.a...tegory=104_105

I might just have to get out the old saw and soldering tourch again.
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Hi Goldy,
    I just had to answer this . Your post brought the memories of 15 years ago flooding back. Jewellery making classes, silversmithing too. I have come a loooong way since then but those were the most amazingly creative days.

I too ordered from Kernowcraft and I also had Sylvia Wickes book (along with 25 others!) It was looking at the enamelling section in that book and seeing the enamel being wet-laid that led me to a lifetime love affair with the medium. I looked at the Photo and thought "I could do that" and after a course with the extraordinary Gudde Skyrme in London, I could do it!

Anyway, enough of the nostalgia, thanks for the memories,
    Ruth, jeweller in Nottingham.

Comment

Yep they're a great company and excellent for flat backed cabs
      **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
      Different prize every month
      Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
      PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Yes, Kernowcraft are a great company and are really expanding now. Silver clay is very, very intriguing . . . I've only used it once but am sure it could be addictive.

The Sylvia Wicks book was one of the first I bought and is a real classic. And I can imagine how the enamelling entranced you, Ruth!
        http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
          I might just have to get out the old saw and soldering tourch again.
          Do it!!!!!

xAnnette
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Blimey, I had the Sylvia Wicks book when I was on my Uni course as well, amongst all the other silversmithing and metalwork titles. I also remember having Kernowcraft catalogues lying around, along with Fred Aldous and others.

Si.
            Wood Tattoos
            Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
            Facebook
            Flickr
            Twitter

Comment

Fred Aldous is my downfall. I live only 3 miles away from thier shop I daren't go near these days.
              "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
              my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I used to order from kernowcraft in my silversmithing days as well, it must be well over 25years ago and probably nearer 30 years since I first ordered from them.
                International craft is another one that is still going.

Melanie.

Comment

Hi

I know I'm a bit late adding a post to this thread (!) as the last reply was June 08... but I have only just come across this forum. But I just had to say how nice it is to see posts from people about Kernowcraft who have been customers for such a long time! and nice comments about our company. We are actually celebrating our 42nd birthday this month...

Best wishes to you all !

Hannah
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                  Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Originally posted by Kernowcraft View Post
                    Hi

I know I'm a bit late adding a post to this thread (!) as the last reply was June 08... but I have only just come across this forum. But I just had to say how nice it is to see posts from people about Kernowcraft who have been customers for such a long time! and nice comments about our company. We are actually celebrating our 42nd birthday this month...

Best wishes to you all !

Hannah
                    Nice to see you here!

Comment

Working...
                    X