How much for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for this?

I had a customer last week that bought a few beads and findigngs and I asked her to show me what she made with them. When she came back this week with a pretty beaded comb she made for her daughter, she also brought me this.

Its a crochet necklace she makes with seed beads and my photography skills (or lack of them) does not do this piece justice.

I was stunned by it. She learned how to make them when she was young (not wanting to offend her but I'd guess she's in her 60's now - sorry if I'm wrong about that!) and has recently made this one just to see if she could still do it.

I think its stunning and I offered to try and sell it for her but neither of us could come up with a price to ask for it. She's never timed herself before but reckons it took about a week and she worked on it most evenings for about an hour.

Its surprisingly very lightweight and the clasp, ends and chain is plated. She used tiny glass silver-lined seedbeads and the sparkle is gorgeous. It looks like a very expensive piece of jewellery.

I just wondered what everyone else thinks is a reasonable price for such a piece.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Wow, that's really fantastic, no idea how much you could sell it for but, you're right, it does look really expensive.
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Stunning!!!! I would love to be able to make them, I did have a try but it took too long for me, not sure about the price though I ould imagin it took her a while to make and all though you never get paid for the hours put in to make some pieces I would think you would have to start around £25/ £30 well it's the least I'd expect to pay
      Hopefully someone else will have a better idea!!
      Ger xx

My Blog

www.cullen-crafts.co.uk

Comment

Sorry, no idea about a reasonable price, but I just had to say that piece is absolutely stunning!

I'm no beader, but I do crochet and I can see that an enormous amount of work has gone into it.

Linda

Comment

Totally awesome ! I reckon you should google around and see what the going rate is - it looks worth loads !
          Mel

Comment

Hi Auntynet,
            The workmanship looks very impressive, if you take into consideration all the time and skill that has gone into making the necklace it should really be priced over £50.00.
            Chris W.
            x
            Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

It does look really great. Does it have cord underneath the beading? Hard to price when it has taken so much time, its difficult to factor that in.
              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

The necklace looks beautiful!

Its difficult to put a price on it but considering how long it has taken and the end result i would say £60-£80 at least.

It all depends on where it is being sold and the types of people that go in that shop too. You see those posh shops that sell necklaces that are no where near the quality of this necklace and they are selling them for ridiculous amounts, but people pay it cos they perceive the item to be more special or more sought after.

Its a well made necklace that has taken time to make and the price should reflect that. Also if its priced too low people wont think its that special in my opinion.

Donna x
                www.kistjewellery.com

Comment

Thanks for all you comments and suggestions regarding the price of this item. I think I'm going to put it up for sale at £50. I personally think its worth more but we are on a market stall so I have to allow for that fact when pricing up my stuff.

Just to compare though you might want to check out this link that I found when searching google images. (In case you don't know US dollars, you roughly get around 2 to our UK pound (give or take a few pence) so if you half the dollars you get the price in pounds)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7SUNA%26sa%3DN

Get beading people . . . . there's money to be made . . . . . yeah, right.
                  Last edited by auntynet; 20-06-2008, 01:27 AM.
                  Auntynet

Comment

It is stunning and I hope it sells - one comment I have Net is if she makes more, is to use Sterling findings rather than plate - such a beauty deserves the best and the extra cost can be reflected in the price
                    Chris xx
                    My Website
                    My Blog

Comment

I'd say if she could find suitable semi-precious beads and use silver findings she could charge at least twice as much. She could also perhaps make a very contemporary silver clay pendant to hang from it and that again would increase the price.
                      Best wishes
                      Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

That's really beautiful! Must've taken her ages to make. I think the suggestions from other ppl are good. It's very unique and not something you can just go and buy from anywhere.
                        Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
                        http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
                        http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

Originally posted by Kiamyka View Post
                          It is stunning and I hope it sells - one comment I have Net is if she makes more, is to use Sterling findings rather than plate - such a beauty deserves the best and the extra cost can be reflected in the price
                          She asked me to try and source the end caps for her cos she wouldn't know where to get them from and I've found them in sterling but not in plate. )I've only looked at one supplier though) I was going to suggest that she use sterling anyway - what's that they say about great minds thinking alike?
                          Auntynet

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                            She asked me to try and source the end caps for her cos she wouldn't know where to get them from and I've found them in sterling but not in plate. )I've only looked at one supplier though) I was going to suggest that she use sterling anyway - what's that they say about great minds thinking alike?
                            It must be all the coal dust in our blood
                            Chris xx
                            My Website
                            My Blog

Comment

Its Sold!!!!!!

Just to update you all - today the necklace sold for £35.

This morning one of my first customers on the market was the lady that made it. I told her about everyones comments on the forum and she was so surprised and really modest about it although she wasn't too sure that it would sell for £50.

An hour later one of my regular customers came and said she saw it last week and she would have bought it at the lower price but not at £50. I decided to let her have it for the original £35 and even gave her a presentation box for it - result was one happy customer.

I haven't rung the lady yet to tell her the good news about her choker but will ring her in the morning. I don't think she'll mind about only getting £35 for it - she'll just be amazed that it sold - cos she "used to give them away to family and friends and never imagined anyone would pay for one".

I'm going to ask her for another one to try and sell for her - lets hope we're just as lucky with the next one.
                              Auntynet

Comment

Working...
                              X