Thread for stringing pearls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread for stringing pearls

I wondered if anyone knows how to find the right type of thread to string pearls?

The thread I've got seems to be too thin, so when I knot it between pearls, the knots go straight through the holes of the pearl, which kind of defeats the purpose!

Should I just experiment and buy some different thickness of threads, or is there an easier way to tell first?

thanks!
    Sarah x

Hi Silver Butterfly

Sorry to jump on your thread but I'd really like to know this aswell so hopefully we can bump it back to the top.

I love making pearl necklaces but I use beadalon wire and crimp each end so if it does ever break hopefully the pearls won't spill everywhere.

I have seen pearl necklaces which uses the knotting design and they look really nice.

Hopefully someone on here will know
    www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Comment

I'm no expert but just done a quick google and everyone seems to use pure silk thread which comes in several sizes. Obviously the smaller the pearl, the smaller the thread.

I just treat myself to a pearl knotting tool with the intention of learning how to use it although my OH says you can also knot without one, just using a needle. He should understand my love of tools what with him being a man and all! Its different when he wants a new toy that just gets thrown in the garage with all his other stuff.
      Last edited by auntynet; 09-06-2008, 05:18 PM.
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Beadalon

Beadalon sell beading silk especially for stringing pearls it comes in different thicknesses colours and with a wire end to make threading easier. However knotting is tricky to get even and takes a long time, so, unless especially requested not to, I prefer to use beadalon 49 strand wire 019 thickness which drapes well. For a knotted look, if you want that, you can get special spacer beads, I think they are called bumpers but I have only read about them so don't know if they are any good.
        Chris W.
        x
        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
          For a knotted look, if you want that, you can get special spacer beads, I think they are called bumpers but I have only read about them so don't know if they are any good.
          Beadalon make the Bead Bumpers. Did a quick search and found Bead Addict sells them.
          Auntynet

Comment

Hi,
            When I do anything with pearls I use 26 gauge wire or the same size head pins. Actually I never use different wire to attach the pearls.
            Hope this info will help you
            My blog :
            www.makateria.blogspot.com

My shop :
            www.makateria.etsy.com

Comment

Forgot to add in my last post...I really like your jewelry

Kasia
              My blog :
              www.makateria.blogspot.com

My shop :
              www.makateria.etsy.com

Comment

i got some from cooksons, i'm realy impressed with it. but im no expert. it was £1.70ish but i dont know if thats cheap or not.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I may use some beadalon wire and see how I get on with that first.

Have also been trying to use some French (gimp) wire on the ends of wire, but am making a complete hash of it!

Think I might order some silk thread too, just in case I need it )

Thanks for the lovely comments Kasia!
                  Sarah x

Comment

I'm so glad you admitted to struggling with gimp (hehehe . . . . its a great word isn't it ) I too am struggling so I'm glad I'm not the only one - not that I want you to struggle. . . . ok, maybe its time to put my shovel down before I bury myself!

I've seen it on other people's work and I think it really gives a professional looking finish but how hard is it to use?????? Stilll- I'm a typical capricorn and once I set myself a challenge I don't surrender - I just keep going until I conquer so I'll keep at it until I master it. If anyone has any tips they'd be gratefully received.
                    Last edited by auntynet; 15-06-2008, 01:58 AM.
                    Auntynet

Comment

Instead of the old gimp struggle, have you tried using Wire Guardians?

They are a horseshoe shape and you string on the wire guardian to protect your thread the same way you would use French Wire(gimp) or bullion; the only difference being that the Wire Guardian is stiff.

Jules and Becky have found them very useful for when they use Beadalon and for Silk.
                      Attached Files
                      Indulge your creative side & be your own fashion icon

http://www.julesgems.com for Beads, Crystals & Components

http://www.makebeautifuljewellery.com for Beading Projects

Comment

Thanks for the tip about wire guardians. Will certainly look into them.
                        Auntynet

Comment

ok, have bought some wire guardians.
                          Not got round to using them yet, but shall report back as soon as I have

Comment

Working...
                          X