• Show
Clear All
  • anson
    Banned
    Junior crafter
    • Jun 2008

Why Silver?

Hi,

I am puzzled over the fact, why people would want to buy sterling silver jewelry, when they tend to tarnish over time?

Is there any way to prevent silver from tarnish?

Regards,
    Anson
  • silvermaid
    Mega Crafter
    • Aug 2007

OOhhh, lots of reasons really why people would rather buy silver than gold.
    It's cheaper so they can have several pieces rather than just one, it goes better with certain colours, they just prefer it, if you loose it it's not too expensive to replace, most designers use silver so there is more opportunity to buy a unique piece. I do not make anything gold and have no trouble selling it.
    Silver does tarnish but it will stay relatively tarnish free if you wear it often, and it is very quick and easy to clean it. Fine silver - like hill tribe silver is 95-99% silver so it tarnished less and there is a new type out called argentium sp? which is made specially to be tarnish free.

Melanie

Comment

• anson
      Banned
      Junior crafter
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
      OOhhh, lots of reasons really why people would rather buy silver than gold.
      It's cheaper so they can have several pieces rather than just one, it goes better with certain colours, they just prefer it, if you loose it it's not too expensive to replace, most designers use silver so there is more opportunity to buy a unique piece. I do not make anything gold and have no trouble selling it.
      Silver does tarnish but it will stay relatively tarnish free if you wear it often, and it is very quick and easy to clean it. Fine silver - like hill tribe silver is 95-99% silver so it tarnished less and there is a new type out called argentium sp? which is made specially to be tarnish free.

Melanie
      Thanks for your response. Yup, it does seems to be a great idea of frequent buying silver in comparison to the highly priced gold, whereby the price of gold only provides you with one design, but with that sum of money could buy you a couple favorite silver designs.

It seems that Argentium Silver is newly launched in 2008. Did you tried buying it?

Just wondering would more people prefer to spend a bit more to buy tarnish free silver or would they just prefer to buy normal sterling silver?

Comment

• auntynet
        Mega Crafter
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by anson View Post
        Hi,

Is there any way to prevent silver from tarnish?

Regards,
        Anson
        Like silvermaid says - silver should be worn regularly to prevent tarnishing.

A good tip for when you're not wearing it is to keep your pieces in an airtight bag like grip-seal.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

• Seahorse
          Super Moderator
          Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
          • Jun 2005

The oils on skin help to keep sterling silver in good condition so whe not wearing it definately keep it in a grip seal airtight bag.
          When I sell a piece(I use sts chain/components)I send it with a grip seal bag for the new owner to keep it in.I also store them in grip bags when they are finished.
          https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

• Peter
            Super mega big crafter
            • Jan 2006

I wouldn't get too excited about this one - he's advertising argentium silver, and his computer's in singapore. Is it only me can smell these? The clue is in the way they spell jewellery....................it's like the $ sign in e mails, shouts out Spam!

Comment

• sherrielinda
              Mega Crafter
              • Apr 2008

clever Peter

very clever Peter but how do you he's abroad can you see where he's writing from or something
              My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

• Peter
                Super mega big crafter
                • Jan 2006

I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it may incriminate me. Next?

Comment

• silvermaid
                  Mega Crafter
                  • Aug 2007

There was me thinking I was being helpful, I supose I should have been suspicious of ' Did you tried buying it?' rather than have you bought it?
                  At least I didn't visit their site as well and push the rating up.
                  Thanks Peter or should that be Poirot?

Melanie
                  Last edited by silvermaid; 08-06-2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Pebbles
                    Super crafter
                    • Oct 2007

Supermoderator!

Methinks Peter is suspicious of everyone, am I right?

Funny with it though, I like the humour
                    www.beadlab.com

Comment

• sherrielinda
                      Mega Crafter
                      • Apr 2008

Mr Beadsage rules, ok

Like the previous person, I like the dry homour too. You rock Beadsage.
                      My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

• Littlegems_cm
                        100+ crafts club
                        • Jan 2008

Hi all,

This has been a really interesting thread, the grip seal bags are really useful. I have one piece that has tarnished - what's the best way to get rid of it?

Cx
                        Love LittleGems x
                        http://LittleGemsUK.etsy.com
                        www.truly-handmade.co.uk

Comment

• auntynet
                          Mega Crafter
                          • Jun 2008

I use a blue silver polishing cloth available from places like Wilkinsons for a couple of pounds. Never use jewellery dips or polishes on any piece with gemstones.
                          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

• Makateria
                            100+ crafts club
                            • Jun 2008

I don't know about any oils on human skin which prevent silver from tarnishing but I know that there is a lot of people who like to wear silver sometimes they oxidize so it looks older on purpose.
                            Personally I love wearing jewelry which looks older.
                            What is more that some people are allergic to silver plated jewelry and don't care when it tarnishes or keep it clean.

My blog :
                            www.makateria.blogspot.com

My shop :
                            www.makateria.etsy.com

Comment

• goldy1
                              Super Big Crafter
                              • Nov 2006

This thread got me wondering about the none tarnish silver so I did a little googling. Seems it's a british discovery. http://www.argentiumsilver.info/inde...eter-johns-bio
                              "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                              my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Working...
                              X