• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poppy4lee
    500+ Crafters Club
    • May 2007

Help needed with beading needles

I've bought some beading needles, to sell online, they're 0.45mm but I'm blowed if I can find what size this is. Some sites, that I've looked on, say they are size 10 and others say they're size 12. Can anyone help?
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."
  • Bea
    Super crafter
    • Nov 2004

Are they the hard or soft needles? The soft needles have a collapsible eye and are usually ''fine'', ''medium'' and ''hard'', with 0.45mm being close to the 0.5mm I sell called ''hard''.

SIze 10 or 12 are for hard needles like the John James range.

Hope this helps.
    Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

• Poppy4lee
      500+ Crafters Club
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Bea View Post
      Are they the hard or soft needles? The soft needles have a collapsible eye and are usually ''fine'', ''medium'' and ''hard'', with 0.45mm being close to the 0.5mm I sell called ''hard''.

SIze 10 or 12 are for hard needles like the John James range.

Hope this helps.
      Thanks for that Bea They don't have a collapsible eye and I'm just not sure how to differentiate between sizes 10 and 12. I read that a size 10 needle is made to go through size 10/0 seed beads etc. but I can't find a definitive chart to confirm the hole sizes in seed beads. I've found several lots of info. about seed beads but the sizing always seems to differ slightly
      Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

• Beadservice
        500+ Crafters Club
        • Feb 2008

The reason you can't find this info is that the manufacturer doesn't advertise the dimensios of size 10 or 12 beading needles

I have both sizes in stock from Beadsmith which are made for them by John James.

From looking with my eye I would say them are both the same diameter, but differ in length, with the size 12 being 50mm long and the size 10 being 55mm long.

If they actually vary in diameter then the difference must be very small.

Debbie
        www.beadservice.net
        On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

• Peter
          Super mega big crafter
          • Jan 2006

The diameter is different Debbie, if you bend them a bit in your fingers you get the impression that the 10 is much stronger. I've sort of settled into using 12s for everything, they are OK with size 15 seeds as long as you don't go through more than once! It's sometimes easier to get a pack of mixed sizes so you can get used to the 'feel' of them.

Comment

Working...
          X