How can i improve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i improve?

What can i do to these to improve these? I can take it, dont hold back Oh and i left them a bit squint for a reason!

Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

I like these, they're funky. My only comment would be that I don't like the crimps on the earrings. Could you glue them in place instead? Or perhaps use crimp pliers to make them round?

Cheers
    Carol
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

Comment

I've always had a problem getting Amethyst to go with silver. If you're going for the unique funky market, I would have gone a little brighter - carnelian or something along those lines.

Comment

I am bidding on a crimper as we speak I only have a flat nosed plier and squash the crimps, but really prefer the crimper.

I adore amethyst but i see your point. Im not sure what market im going for really lol. I just make what i want and see how it turns out. I dont sell anything yet, just experimenting. Is it better to have a market in mind from the start?
        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

It probably depends on whether you want to enjoy what you're doing! I read recently that the niche markets are either at the bottom end or the top end of whatever you're doing.

Comment

What would be considered the bottom end of jewellery making?

Comment

I like them how they are to be honest, I like how simple yet funky they are, I would definitly wear the pendant, but as my ears aren't pierced.... thats probably why I don't make many earrings, well that and the fact that my wire bending is laughable.

oh and I adore amathyst and silver together.

Visit my blog Meridian Ariel or my Etsy Shop

Comment

I really like the design of these, nice and modern and clean looking but with some glitz. I like amethyst a lot and those beads look a nice shade and quality.

I'd have wrapped the top of the wire though, so it met with the wrapping coming from the other side of the two ends, but it's often not til you do these things that you discover whether it works or not so it might look better the way you did it. It might make the earrings/pendant more secure though.

But overall, really, really nice!
                http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
                  What would be considered the bottom end of jewellery making?
                  Earrings at £2.50 that make your ears green. .....................top end is me.

Comment

Shineysilver - Yeah i thought it looked a little untidy aswell like that. How would i have finished it if i hadnt wrapped the extra around the bottom bit? Im not 100% sure i know what your trying to say
                    Last edited by handcrafted; 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Nooooo! I didn't say you were the bottom end of the market! In between all this is the avant garde art market - that's where these fit.

Comment

I like them, but if you what an opinion on how to improve, I looked at them for a while and feel you didnt let yourself go enough, there looks to be a lot of freeform talent in your work but I always feel that the realy good freeform work is when the artist doesnt hold back, (difficult as you either have to have a lot of confidence or enough money to throw things away when it dosnt work)
                        Ive made some items that dont conform to any rules of the trade, and when displayed I get the "my god whats that" reaction. Then one day someone comes up and says "wow Ive got to have that" Just confirms that Im not the only nutter in this orderly world.
                        Top and bottom end jewelry! no such thing. Ive seen great stuff made out crap for sale at next to nothing and ive seen crap made out of the best of gems and gold and for sale at a kings ransom

Comment

Originally posted by Beadsage View Post
                          Nooooo! I didn't say you were the bottom end of the market! In between all this is the avant garde art market - that's where these fit.
                          Lol my other reply wasnt aimed at you It was aimed at the person above you. Sorry should have been more specific.

I think with me its i havn't enough money to spend it on things, plus i am only really beginning to experiement for real.

Comment

What can i do to these to improve these?
                            nothing...... they are perfect.....i love them
                            Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                            Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                            My blog
                            Facebook

Comment

I think with me its i havn't enough money to spend it on things, plus i am only really beginning to experiement for real.
                              If you want to experiment, do what I do...... use cheap copper or brass wire which costs only pennies per foot and is available from most electrical wholesalers such as Maplins. Because its so cheap you can afford to practice and once you've perfected a design, you can then use sterling. However I have to admit that if I use sterling or gold on a completely new piece my adrenalin tends to rise due to the fear of wasing it!!
                              Also if you're looking for cheap beads to experiment with you should try the charity shops for vintage jewellery that you can take to pieces and re-use in your own designs and maybe (although only occassionally) you sometimes manage to pick up a real bargain when the shop staff don't realise what they're selling and can't recognise natural gemstones or gold and silver clasps.

Comment

Working...
                              X