Soft Flex help - asap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Flex help - asap!

Hey i am on ebay looking to buy some soft flex. Was going to go for tiger tail but thought soft flex was better. But im unsure what gauge to get! Whats better to use for necklaces and bracelets?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Personally, I can't stand softflex!

I would go for acculon 7-strand stuff, that is by far, nicer looking than soft flex.

My problem with softflex is that it is ugly (in my opinion), thick (hard to get 2 strands through small crimps) and expensive (£8 for 30ft as opposed to £3 for 30ft acculon)

Get tiger tail! Yeah, it kinks but cheaper and nicer!

you can go for 49 strand tiger tail/acculon, apparently it kinks less, however, I have used the 7 strand in loads of jewellery and it's been fine.

One handy hint though, if you are doing a heavy string of glass beads, the acculon/tiger tail may become worn and snap (after several years of constant wear anyway)
    www.beadlab.com

Comment

Well i bought some soft flex and tiger tail lol. Il see how it goes. I thikn the soft flex i got might be too big.
      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

49 strand

I have a wholesale account with Beadalon USA so I am a big fan of 49 strand beading wire. I feel it is the best quality. If you get 018 size it is fine and strong and drapes beautifully. I use 024 size for larger beads. If I want to make some inexpensive necklaces and am using small beads then I use tiger tail and double it for larger beads but it doesn't drape as well, 49 strand wire has a fluidity to it. For my website I only use 49 strand because it is more durable.
        Chris W.
        x
        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

I use beadalon but go for the middle option of 17 strands It drapes better and is much less likely to kink than tigertail. The one marked 'silver coloured' is a very good match for silver and cheaper than the silver plated. I also have used their 7 strand - around £5-£6 for 30m and found it better than tigertail.
          I haven't used acculon so I can't comment but I found softflex to be similar to beadalon.

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post

One handy hint though, if you are doing a heavy string of glass beads, the acculon/tiger tail may become worn and snap (after several years of constant wear anyway)
            The wife uses "gimp" or "french wire" to prevent fraying.

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
              The wife uses "gimp" or "french wire" to prevent fraying.
              Yeah, that would only help the catch though, my necklaces are breaking in the middle..... recycled glass and vintage glass don't have the smoothest of finishes sometimes.
              www.beadlab.com

Comment

Working...
              X