melding silver and non precious metals help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melding silver and non precious metals help please

I am not sure as to the best way to meld silver with brass or copper. can it be done? I am sure there is a way of doing this. I wasnt sure if it was all heated to a certain temperature to fuse it, or it is soldered together. i am unsure if it can be done with a handheld gas torch ( I dont have a large torch with calor gas as yet)
    Last edited by seraph; 24-05-2008, 03:41 PM.

Mostly they are soldered together and as long as the piece isn't too big it can be done with a handheld. Just remember that they heat up at different speeds and if you are using brass, be very careful as the two metals can suddenly mix together to form a horrible mess.

One other thing you should be aware of is that the Assay Office will not hallmark precious/non-precious mixed pieces so this will affect how you sell the sterling.
    Nettie

Ng Jewellery
    On the web
    On my Blog
    On Folksy
    On Etsy

Comment

if its your first time soldering, try with copper. the prolem with brass is its a mix of copper and zinc. if you over heat brass with solder then the zinc will boil/burn off and leave a hole. you can fuse brass to brass or with another metal but the results are abit unpredictable and you nead alot of heat.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

I decided to try this and have a few pieces but cant decide if its practical or not.(some didn't melt that well as the torch isn't strong enough). I use a sievert handyjet. I also have a refillable orange and black mini torch but, I find it has a flame strong enough to solder first few minutes then the flame is just too low. It wont even melt the solder.

I am considering sending it away in a scrap pot or visiting somewhere I can use a kiln to melt it aka mokume gane. style.

I have one piece which I cant remove the solder from. I tried to meld a piece of silver onto the copper and found it looked a bit OTT rather than something anyone would wear! I have tried a hack saw and a chisel and hammer to remove the piece but its fused so tightly,it wont shift. I cant remove it. I tried heating it but the silver is re-welding its self to the copper. ( I used medium solder and easy)

Comment

OK calm down, doing stuff with the hand helds does take that extra bit of time. I would leave the refillable alone unless you are using it for very small pieces (say closing jump rings). I'm a little confused about the last bit of your post. Are you trying to remove a piece of solder from the copper, if so I think you are going to have to file it down. If you are trying to remove the sheet silver then you will have to keep heating it until you see the solder turn liquid (this may take some time with the handheld) Then while the solder is still liquid give the silver sheet a good shove with your soldering tweezers until it is pushed off the copper. If you remove the heat whilst the silver sheet is still on the copper then you've just resoldered it in a different position. Then you will have to file the solder off the copper (or leave it in the "lessons learnt - could possibly use later" pot)

I'm probably not helping very much am I? (somewhere in the sand!!!!)
          Nettie

Ng Jewellery
          On the web
          On my Blog
          On Folksy
          On Etsy

Comment

I soldered a piece of heavy silver with easy,medium and hard solder onto a copper sheet. I no longer think it looks attractive and want to remove it from the piece.

I will try heating it further to remove the solder but, the main problem is getting enough heat as, it started melding further onto the metal. I have a hacksaw and files and maybe it will be a slow process I will keep coming back to but, I feel that the silver needs to be removed as it can be sanded and used as a piece on its own.

for the other pieces I need to find a way of cleaning them properly. I feel I didnt think it through properly as, there is different metals that use different clenaing methods. it all seems impractical and a waste of metal now.

Thanks
            Last edited by seraph; 31-05-2008, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X