Cord Ends & glue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cord Ends & glue ?

Hi - am I being a bit dim ? As a beginner I have been using cord ends that you bend over the cord / leather etc. This seems to hold well enough - but I have just read somewhere that I should also be using glue .... is this recommended ? I am hoping to sell my jewellery eventually (when I can convince myself it is good enough !) so would not want it to fall apart because I have not done it right !
    Also, can anyone recommend a good cheap supplier of swarovskis as I have looked on ebay & don't really know how much to bid, so am feeling lost.

MAny thanks,
    Isis
    Best Wishes,
    Lisa

Designs by Isis

I don't use glue in the cord ends, although I am sure you could if you were concerned that the leather is not going to hold.

I bought swarovskis recently from

http://www.mailorder-beads.co.uk/

They provided great service and posted them out very quickly, they have almost all the colours and I think they are among the cheapest place to buy them.
    www.beadlab.com

Comment

Hi Isis, not sure how you are getting on with this now but I think use of glue is just up to you and according to how thick or well the cord seems to be holding in the cord tip - sometimes I do use glue, sometimes I dont (one of my You Tube vids on the link below demos the use of cord tips if that helps )
      Mel

Comment

Cord Ends

Hi Isis,
        I sometimes use cord ends for leather and don't use glue but if I was using the small ones where you knot the end I would use glue. I buy my Swarovski crystals of ebay mostly, often from someone in Hong Kong but I don't buy in large quantities. You are right to make jewellery that is sturdy but don't let worrying about that stop you trying to sell what you make. Why not road test your designs yourself then you will feel confident they will last? Also believe that if you like them, someone else is sure to like them too.
        Chris W.
        x
        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

If the 'fold over end' findings you're using have a means to grip your cord, such as 'ribbed' or 'prongs' then I don't think there is any need to use glue.

However, it comes down to personal preference.

Debbie
          www.beadservice.net
          On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Hi Isis
            re the Swarovski crystals, I buy mine on ebay, mainly from a shop called 'rubys crafts' they're quite reasonable. Have bought some from Jules Gems, though think i'll have a look at the Bead Shop Nottingham - they look really competitive from the quick glance I had.

Comment

Thanks but now worried about crimps ?!!

Hi everyone,
              thanks for replying. I have now made a few necklaces with leather & cord ends (no glue) and they seem to be strong enough.
              However, I took your advice & have road tested some of my other necklaces made with Beadalon & crimps within a calette (is that the right name) to secure the clasps. The one which my mother-in-law had has broken (typical it should be her !) and it looks like the crimp has not gripped the beadalon properly. I do tend to give my work a bit of a tug to check - but was not able to forsee this. Any tips ? Or was she just unlucky !!!!
              Isis
              Designs by Isis
              Best Wishes,
              Lisa

Designs by Isis

Comment

Durability

Hi Isis,
                If you take a look at my website: www.waterstonejewellery.co.uk
                you will see images of necklaces finished with the Beadalon EZ crimps. I have tried lots of methods and this is the most secure, however they are difficult to find and I had to get them from in bulk from Beadalon USA direct. Also they are quite expensive. The next best solution I think is to use sterling silver crimp beads, these are much stronger than non-silver. I would not use the calottes myself. You can get wire guards and split bead covers to cover the wire and crimp if you want a good finish, in my shop I sell inexpensive necklaces fastened by silver crimp beads and have not yet had any returned broken, touch wood.
                Chris W.
                x
                Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Working...
                X