New to this any tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this any tips?

I have been making earing for about 6 months as i attended a 1 day induction class at my local womens centre. As it was only a 1day class i only have basic knowledge, and i was wondering if anyone has any must have tips. I also made the tiaras for my wedding last month so i have a little wire bending knowledge too.
    Emma

i'd just experiment.

what sort of jewellery are you looking to make?

do you want do strining or beadweaving?
    www.craftedgems.co.uk

http://www.beadartists.org/Gal1300_C..._s_Gallery.asp

Comment

I have been using beads and wire, i dont really know the technical terms for this, but i normally use fishing line ops:
      Emma

Comment

it sounds like you've been stringing.

Have you thought about getting some books

a good one is the beaders companion, it has a good selection of basic techiques

there are also some good american magazines, like bead and button, bead style and beadworks

you can get all of the above from www.mailorder-beads.co.uk

have a look on amazon as well or if you have a boarders near by they have a small but good selection

if you get the magazines they have step by step projects, if you fancy trying one it tells you how to do it.

this is how i lernt to make jewellery
        www.craftedgems.co.uk

http://www.beadartists.org/Gal1300_C..._s_Gallery.asp

Comment

Fishing line is also called Monofilament or Illusion Cord, it's all the same, a plastic thread.

The wire you are talking may be tigertail. Some people use different terms for the same thing. I had a customer once asking for Illusion Wire, but she meant the fine Soft Flex wire which is ''posh'' tigertail - it took a few emails to understand what she wanted! :lol:
          Tigertail is Nylon Coated wire and there are quite a few brands out there.

Using a book is a good way to see different techniques and you can adapt from there and see what technique/thread suits you.

I prefer to use tigertail for necklaces and stretch magic for bracelets. I don't wear earrings but I'd use tigertail too, I think.

I was given a very big jewellery making book for my birthday a couple of years ago.

Bea
          Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Hi Emma,

Have you considered taking a short jewellery course. It might be very helpful as you might get practical and theoritical practice.

Ash
            Amazing Fashion Jewellery at Wholesale Prices in UK

Business Forum

Comment

Working...
            X