Smoke painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke painting

This is more of a question from my wife. She is fascinated by "smoke" paintings on glass. They seem to be produced using smoke from a candle flame. Although she has had some limited success , a lot of things remain unknown, such as general techinques & how to "fix" the finished painting. There is at least one person currently producing tis type of picture, but he simply wont part with any information on how it is done! Very short-sighted really, because even a knowledge of how it is done would still require an awful lot of practice & dedication to become good at it. If the information is never passed on - the craft will eventually die out, which is sad because there are some very fine examples about.
    Bob

Never even heard of smoke painting! sounds fascinating! Hpe you find out more, and if the information comes from elsewhere, share it wih us later!

Comment

If you go to a search engine & look in the "Images" section for Smoke Painting, there are lots of examples, some of which are magnificent, but so far, we have not found any in depth instruction on how it is done.
      Bob

Comment

I've never heard of smoke painting before either. But I found the guy online and had a look. I'm wondering if he does a heavy layer of candle smoke and then delicately brushes it off again to get the various shadings etc. It looks like he scratches some of the smoke off to produce some of the effects too. Fixative hmmm, maybe something like a spray you use to fix charcoal drawings, I've used hairspray as a temp measure for that.

Hope someone susses it out and tells us lol
        http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I just found this, is it any help?

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-With-Smoke

Hope so!

Shaz x
          Keepsake Kollections
          & Rossendale Ramblings!
          http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Thanks, it has helped somewhat. Christine has been looking at it this morning & it gives more information than most, but it is probably quite a difficult art form.
            Bob

Comment

I think its a shame when others dont pass on helpful hints & tips! We're all crafters & alot of people do the same thing, jewellry making, cards etc...but creativity is from within & one persons ideas will vary from anothers...I hope she finds what shes looking for, i've never heard of it before either!
              Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

If I recall correctly, a guy, Brian Lester, does them. He shows his work at Gwynedd Crafts, Beddgelert, North Wales. You could try googling for more info?
                Hope this helps
                Keith
                Sunny Rhyl

Comment

Brian Lester is indeed a genius at this! We sued to sell and exhibit his work in our gallery often in the Black Country. He is a lovely guy and I'm sure he would be happy to pass on a few tips. Candlesmoke art is a rare skill nowadays. I think it was created during the Victorian era. layers of smoke from different distances away to give different depths of tone. Scratching out highlight etc.

Comment

with a notebook you can lay it over a lit candle inside of a jar. the lack of oxygen will cause the candle to go out and create smoke. this is then deposited onto the paper.it could be that you have to apply some clear acrylic to glass and then the acrylic will trap the smoke. Give it a try and let me know how you get on. send me a message if you need more details

Comment

Working...
                    X