Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical supermarket Kilns

Hello

Does anybody on the forum use a Technical supermarket kiln? They seem to be a lot cheaper than many kilns on the market. I thought it would be worth checking what experiences anybody on the forum had had with them. Your replies will be appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Ohhhh, see what you mean! Not heard of them before but interested if anyone else has experience of them too...
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

No reply, does this mean no one here has used a Technical supermarket kiln.

Comment

I have had other equipment from them, which has been fine - although the customer experience can leave a little to be desired, mainly because of a slight language barrier!

I think it very much depends on what you want to use the kiln for. Their basic models are manually controlled (so fine for basic enamelling or similar), and those with programmable controllers are not necessarily that much cheaper than the equivalent from other, perhaps better known, suppliers. It's always worth also having a look for second-hand kilns, as these do seem to come up a lot.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
          I have had other equipment from them, which has been fine - although the customer experience can leave a little to be desired, mainly because of a slight language barrier!

I think it very much depends on what you want to use the kiln for. Their basic models are manually controlled (so fine for basic enamelling or similar), and those with programmable controllers are not necessarily that much cheaper than the equivalent from other, perhaps better known, suppliers. It's always worth also having a look for second-hand kilns, as these do seem to come up a lot.
          Thanks for the reply. I have been looking out for a second hand kiln.

Comment

I teach and wanted a basic kiln that would go up to 1000C, the Technical Supermarket apparently supply to schools and labs so I went for one of theirs. The kiln controller was fussy, extremely easy to break and although I asked for and have since asked for instructions, no written ones for the controller in question were ever provided. It appeared to be similar to most controllers and they described it thus, but NO. So, I had to pay to return it, they repaired it (free the first time) and I had to pay again, to have it sent back. Although the kiln appeared to be protected by foam peanuts, it did not survive the journey - the liner was now damaged and the safety catch (can't use the kiln without it) completely sheared off. I took photos and had a class full of witnesses (literally) and paid to return it again complete with letter to explain everything and ask for a full refund, exchange or complete repair. I am now locked in a loooooooong email exchange asking for my kiln to be repaired and returned. They want more money for the return but refuse to confirm the kiln has been repaired. Horrible, horrible situation. So, I would say STEER CLEAR but the other person who replied was happy with their dealings so maybe I have just been unlucky, I don't know.

Comment

Ohhhh, see what you mean

Comment

Working...
              X