Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating holes in glass and stone

Hi all! :-)

I am researching how to make shaped holes in glass and stone and am completely stumped and flummoxed. In particular I want to be able to create heart shaped holes, around 4-6 mm wide. I can see that expensive laser and water drills can do it but these really cost far to much than I can afford. Are there any tricks to it or easy ways that are passing me by?

Any help at all mucho appreciated!!!!

Originally posted by netfrog View Post
    Hi all! :-)

I am researching how to make shaped holes in glass and stone and am completely stumped and flummoxed. In particular I want to be able to create heart shaped holes, around 4-6 mm wide. I can see that expensive laser and water drills can do it but these really cost far to much than I can afford. Are there any tricks to it or easy ways that are passing me by?

Any help at all mucho appreciated!!!!
    I don't think there is any easy way to do it. look at a piece of stained glass work to see the trouble the artist had to go to to make shapes.
    These days there are all sorts of glass cutting saws available maybe they would do what you want but they're not cheap as far as I'm aware.
    www.steampunkkaleidoscopes.com
    www.steampunkrelics.co.uk
    If you think you can do a thing or if you think you can't you will be right. Henry Ford

Comment

The best way would be to apply a mask then sandblast your shaped holes. Not cheap to set up but compared to lasers and water cutters it comes in at a fraction of the cost. I think at a push you could probably use one of the Badger sandblasters but the time it would take would be prohibitive on more than a few items.
      Bert.

Website
      Facebook
      http://myadventureswithglass.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Not a really cheap way - but a way that’s cheaper than a laser cutter is a glass ring saw. Start by using a glass drill bit and drill a pilot hole (there are plenty of guides about how to do this). Now the great thing with a Targus ring saw is that you can break the blade apart, thread it through the drilled hole and cut out the desired shape.

I imported my saw from the states and run it on an invertor, saved about £150 compared to UK prices.

All the Best,

JamesT

Comment

Working...
        X