Stained / Painted glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stained / Painted glass

I am currently thinking of things I could make to extend and expand my range. I enjoy working with glass (mosaics at the moment) so was thinking of having a go at glass painting but wondered how I would go about this initially? I.e. are there kits you can buy to get started? Where would I get the materials?
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

A good start with relitivly small outlay is glass painting. you can get the materials from craft suppliers and basically you have an outliner which forms a lead like line on the surface of the glass or mirror and then you allow it to dry. colour is added with glass paints,which are then painted on. They can be very effective. You can decorate wine glasses etc.

For stained glass as in cut glass and lead strip, the cost is larger and you'd really need to find a tutor in your area to see what you'd really need regarding cost etc.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I don't know about you but I haven't seen much painted glass out there at the moment. Is it still fashionable. I'm not trying to knock your ideas. I just don't want you to invest time and money in something that isn't going to sell.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I know a seller who sells a lot of rennie macintosh long mirrors with the classic painted rose design.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Yeah I've seen them. Very nice, but there more on the stained glass design than just painted glass that used to be very poular a few years ago.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

To be honest...

...my main interest is fused glass but my worry is that I haven't got the money to buy the equipment. I thought of painted glass because I thought the materials might be accessible through shops and cheaper. I have looked into doing a course In fused glass or stained glass), as I thought that would be a good starting point.

Thanks for being honest about painted glass. I am trying to extend my range and ideally I am looking to add smaller, cheaper items, perhaps that do not take me so long to make? What I currently do (and will continue with because I enjoy it) takes a lot of time and materials cost, so am looking to extend so I offer a broader range.
            Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I used to do painted glass work, my favourite was painting mirrors, it takes a while to get used to the tubed leading but you do get lovely effects.

Amazon have lots of books on the subject with patterns you can try. You do need to have a well ventilated room as the paints give off fumes

Comment

Have you tried

I wonder if you've thought of using china paints on glass ? I tried and it was pretty sucessful, the bottles of paint are pretty cheap and the colours can be mixed so cuts down on the price. Not as good as the proper powders for glass but a cheap substitute.
                http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I used to do painted glass and sell it through a litle gift shop in Appledore in North Devon when we lived there. I used to do lanterns, candle holders, that sort of thing which proved very popular, especially anything with a sea sort of theme as it was on the coast, so depends in what sort of area you will be selling, made great keepsakes for holiday makers down there. Does take a while to get used to but you do get some lovely results. Have also done tile painting using ceramic paints and enjoy that too.
                  Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

Painted glass

Hi, I have only done a bit of painted glass but what I found was really popular was water jugs made out of old wine bottles especially the wide neck variety, and I used a paint that you can seal in the oven and the they can be dishwashed or whatever.

I just did some as a favour really but they are a good way to start or try? I used pebeo vitrea paints, which are water soluble until dry and come in all colours and can be mixed.

They work well with something reflective behind, water, mirror behind them?
                    I just bought the paint from a craft shop. The designs I did were sort of art noveau flowers.
                    I hope this helps!
                    Elizabeth
                    check out my handbags
                    www.rapunzelstrikesback.co.uk
                    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Retro-Boutique

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
                      I don't know about you but I haven't seen much painted glass out there at the moment. Is it still fashionable. I'm not trying to knock your ideas. I just don't want you to invest time and money in something that isn't going to sell.
                      Doing the rounds of the craft fairs I meet a glass painter often and she does really well. She has small things like salt and pepper mills to bigger things like jugs vases candle holders etc. She also paints book marks and personalises them with peoples names. They go down a bomb. Also she paints mirrors (very apt Katie), just plain ones but pretties them up a bit and adds personalised names. Again personalisation goes down a bomb.

Cheers.

Lisa
                      Bowed Over
                      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X