Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Element Breakage

Hi:

I'm posting here and in the pottery section -- sorry, looking for widest possible audience.

We have a large old electric pottery kiln. Lately, one of the heating coils has been breaking, in the same place, with very high frequency. It breaks every few firings -- and is costly to replace.

This is obviously not right.

I am beginning to think that the problem is related to deterioration of the fire bricks in that area -- in that the support groove has crumbled away, and so the element is supported simply by pins placed every 6" or so.

My working theory is that the element sags badly there, and eventually breaks upon cooling and contraction, due to it being brittle.

I am hoping that you would be so kind as to offer your opinion on this.

Thanks.

Hi Hon,

It sounds as good an explanation as any! Must be costing you a fortune to replace the element every time it goes.

The best thing would obviously be to relpace the fire brick in that area so the element is properly supported again.

One or two warm glass places sell fire brick which is soft enough to "carve" into shape . . and I know that there are a few kiln manufacturers who may be able to help sort it out. You could try . . Stanton Kilns, Essex Kilns, Kilncare and Comartie Kilns. All of them have web sites and a quick google search should sort you out there

One of the biggest fusing glass suppliers in the country, based in Wrington, near Bristol, called Warm Glass, has a kiln cement product designed for repairing damaged fire brick . . Skutt Refractory Cement . . it might work for you . . its in the Kilns: Kiln accessories section on their web site . . again . . google can help you there.

Hope this helps
    Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
    Etsy Shop
    Artfire Shop
    dichro-findings blog

Comment

Element Breakage

Hi dichrofindings:

Thanks for the reply.

The kiln is an old Cress model, so perhaps we can contact them for replacement bricks.

I am pleased to have your thoughts on this issue -- but dichro -- why did you call me "hon" ?

Bye

Comment

Ah!

Cress Kilns are based in the US . . Nevada I think! This might make it expensive shipping fire bricks over . . however light they are they will still cost a packet to ship . . and you might end up paying customs duty and VAT on top!

Might be better to try one of the UK based manufacturers . . or atleast email Cress and find out whether they still supply stuff for your model and if they do how much it will cost to ship. They may come back and say they have a UK or eauropean distributor who can help you out . . http://www.cressmfg.com

Called you Hon . . cos I call everyone Hon or Sweetheart or Darling or Babe! Just the way I'm built I guess
        Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
        Etsy Shop
        Artfire Shop
        dichro-findings blog

Comment

Kiln Stuff

Hi dichrofindings:

We are from Vancouver, Canada. So Cress is still a little ways away, but not as far as you.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X