Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad idea about painting a light?

Hi!

Im a newbie! I used to be very arty when I was younger and I suppose I have quite a creative job (graphic designer) but have decided to try and start a hobby.

This may sound a bit weird but to cut a very long story short while on hols in Turkey in the summer, I saw a light that was kind of mosaic type so I am going to try and make one myself...... my first thought was to use glass mosaic (stick it on the glass of a nice lantern light and grout it) then I thought about maybe painting the glass with a thick black paint (something raised?) and then filling in with different colours.

I don't know where to start and what type of paints, glue, etc to use and if this is to be an electrical thingy then special paint is to be used but would not have a clue where to start looking for materials apart from Hobbycraft but that place is very expensive and would rather buy elsewhere from a nice small business.

Dont know which route to go down. mosaic or painting?

Can anybody suggest or help?

what about stained glass?

i think you piece glass together with lead or something but i know this method is used for lights, it might be something you want to google
    www.craftedgems.co.uk

http://www.beadartists.org/Gal1300_C..._s_Gallery.asp

Comment

are you talking about the base of the lamp or is it the lampshade.
      Tiffany lampshades are stained glasss pieces and are made in the style of Louis Tiffany who was working in the late 1800's. His style was around during the early art noveux period and went hand in hand with the arts and carfts movent with it's organic forms.
      There are kits available but they can be pretty pricey! Tiffany lamps usually had a brass base often in an organic form like a woman or tree base.
      If it is the base you are talking about, then a good start is to buy a selection og glass paints and a mat surface ceramic lamp base. The glass paints are used with an outliner. The outliner is squeezed from a tube and leaves a raised line (rather like icing) This gives the appearance offine lines of lead. Once dried, then the glass paind can be simply painted into the design.
      Of course, like you say, you could always use ceramic peices and grout in between. The biggest hint I could give you for that is that you should start with a square or rectangular base so that you have flat surfaces to start on rather than using a sphere which takes a little more patience and skill.
      It would be great to see what you come up with.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

beadsbydesign,

i really should just let you explain things, your much better at it that me :-)
        www.craftedgems.co.uk

Comment

If your talking about painting a lightbulb. You can get some glass paints from hobby store craft shops. Some peal after a while, some don't.

I'd help you more but

You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 25 "ooh thats nice " posts or more.

Google
          painted light bulbs
          you may find a certain candle maker selling these. Smiles and waves at dee

Only 20 posts left to put pointless links in my sig to mobile phone shops

Comment

Originally posted by fuddle View Post

Only 20 posts left to put pointless links in my sig to mobile phone shops
            not sure why you felt the need to post this, no-one in this topic has a link to a mobile phone shop, if you have a problem with someones signature maybe you should contact a mod
            www.craftedgems.co.uk

Comment

I've PM'd him Caroline, and where's our spelling mistake mod?

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
                and where's our spelling mistake mod?

Ok Hands up I can't spell!!!
                (not a very good claim to fame when both your husband and son are dyslexic!!!)
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

i'm dyslexic so i've got no chance of spelling anything right
                  www.craftedgems.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
                    I've PM'd him Caroline, and where's our spelling mistake mod?
                    cool, still not got a clue what fuddle was on about though
                    www.craftedgems.co.uk

Comment

the spelling mistake was Fuddle's - who's glass paints 'peal'. If you're going to be clever, make sure you are! Damn! I LOVE this forum!!!!

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was in hobbycraft on Saturday and just by chance there was a demo going on with a very nice lady showing glass painting/fabric painting etc. So she showed me which type of paint to use.

I think the mosiac route maybe the best idea as the colours may shine through. I have found a light which is suitable (its a lantern type from Argos) so I think I can just stick the mosiac glass on the glass of the light (its not flush so it should work!) then grout it. Volia! (I hope!) Thats a plan so when (in about a few months) I finally finish it, I shall show the pic!

Thanks again for help!

Comment

Glass Mosaic

For me it is nice to use a mosaic for you to improved your skills in graphic design. And if you make your own mosaic you can choice what kind of design you want and you can match it to your room. Most of the ceiling lights are in glass mosaic.
                          Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X