Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Fusing Moulds

Hi everyone,

I want to move on from the range of dichroic pendants and earrings that I've been making by using moulds to create bracelets and also small dishes and candle holders. Having done some research on the internet I was slightly put off making dichroic bracelets when I read that you need to use tongs, presumably to shape the end pieces round the mould during the firing process. I have a Skutt HotStart Pro and was concerned that because the heating elements are in the lid I might get burnt (OK, so I'm a wimp!). Is anyone else using a HotStart Pro to create dichroic bangles / bracelets?

Best regards SylvieKM

P.S. Is anyone else having problems with the 3M glue? Sometimes it works perfectly and other times the bails come unstuck with the least little pressure. Any advice?

Dichroic Glass

Hi Sylvie

Sadly I lost a craft fair because of glue and bails (one fell off and the woman running it told me she didnt want shoddy worksmanship and would I take all my stuff away) so these days I am a bit wary about using any sort of glue although the Scotch Weld is the best I have found so far.

I use a top opening kiln and have been looking at the bangles not made any yet but have been looking for good quality guantlets!!!

The only moulds I have found are either from Warm Glass or ebay america. There is a woman who will send molds to the UK. I was going to start using some frit as well as Dichro when I get to turn my kiln on again.

Kind regards

Cat'sEyes
    Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

Thanks for your response. I sympathise with your glue problem. Like you I can't afford to lose business - it's my only source of income - and have been experimenting with the thread through process using rope or felt but without much success as yet. I find that the felt seems to distort the final fused shape so that instead of coming out straight the pendant takes on a scarab shape.

I've been checking out prices for the bracelet moulds and it seems that the suppliers are mostly based in the USA. These things must weigh a ton because the postage is often more expensive than the mould!

I'll let you know how I progress.

Regards SylvieKM

Comment

I brought a book on making bracelets in my kiln, but it just seemed like a lot of faffing around. Plus using a whole kiln to make 1 bracelet seemed wasteful. (im guessing that you can't make more than one tho 2 may be possible with 2 tounges and some ambedexterousness sp???or is that even a word??? )

We have just started using a glue called Dazzletac. So far it has worked wonderfully. Been wearing my pendant for about 6 weeks now i think, never taking it off. (Always try to do a test run) It's easier to use than any epoxy and after a few days the excess glue kind of peels off (i'm far to messy with epoxy)

For the small moulds you need/want, it might be worth getting some Keiser Lee board. http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/Pro...ProductId=2250
        Haven't tried it myself yet but reading up onit, it sounds fab. We have been using cerraboard for years tho and this seems like an easier alternative. If you only want small moulds you will be able to make this very cost affective imo.
        There is also a mould material called moist pack. Kinda like plaster strips for broken legs. Mould it around something you want and dry it with a hair dryer. Used this for lots of stuff but isn't cheap. Just less messy and less time consuming for running a business. This company sell it but you have to get a brouchure as online shop not ready yet....they do sell some very exciting fusing things tho. http://www.creativeglass.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Bon
        http://www.purpleglass.co.uk/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by SylvieKM View Post
          - and have been experimenting with the thread through process using rope or felt but without much success as yet. I find that the felt seems to distort the final fused shape so that instead of coming out straight the pendant takes on a scarab shape.

Regards SylvieKM
          I use a rolled up piece of kiln paper and the fused piece keeps its flat shape. HTH's
          Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
          I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

Originally posted by Kay View Post
            I use a rolled up piece of kiln paper and the fused piece keeps its flat shape. HTH's

If you roll it around a bit of thin copper wire it stays rolled a bit easier.
            The way we now do pendants tho is we brought a jewelry grinding bit ....cant remember where from but i think it was warm glass. We then wrap silver wire around to form a bail. Bit of a faf but looks lovelly finished.

Bon
            http://www.purpleglass.co.uk/index.html

Comment

Hiya, I bought a bracelet mould from Delphiglass in the US but haven't tried it yet as my kiln is not suitable.

Re the glue, I use E6000 and have never had a problem. A friend has, but I think its because when she cleans the bails up afterwards, she pulls half the glue out, rather than cut it away with a scalpel. Its also cheap, about £4.50 for a large tube that lasts months.

I also squeeze only a small amount out of the tube, do three or four pendants and then get some more out. I never do too many as I think as soon as the glue goes slightly off, it loses its tack.

I also leave them for 24 hours to dry out completely before cutting away excess glue. Hope this helps.

Tracey

Comment

Thanks Bon, for the advice on the new glue. I don't know whether it me not getting the right mix with the eopxy glue or the weather over here - it has been freezing lately - but when I do the markets in the cold frosty mornings I invariably find one or two peices have come unstuck.

Thanks also for the advice on the inserts and griding bit. I'll have another go - it might even be the temperature too high for the method. I'll have to experiment some more.

I bought some Kaiser Lee board from Warm Glass but so far have not had much success with it. I find that the side of the glass which has been against the KLB has a very rough texture. I used it to create some cross pendant moulds but have not been happy with the results so far. There again I carved a trough in the KLB - perhaps it would be better to create a complete cut out.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards Sylvie

Comment

Originally posted by frizzygirl View Post
                  Hiya, I bought a bracelet mould from Delphiglass in the US but haven't tried it yet as my kiln is not suitable.

Tracey
                  Hi Tracey,

Many thanks for your advice too. You don't say which kiln you are using and why the mould wasn't suitable. I would be interested in learning why before I go ahead with an order.

Thanks again Sylvie

Comment

I too bought some KLB but got bored carving it - so have not used it.
                    The tip I was given is to use an emery board afterwards to get a smoother finish. HTH?
                    Terry xxx
                    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I also had a go at a bangle, but used a mug!!! I think it would work if it was a shorter bangle!!
                      As for moulds I have been using all sorts of ceramics coated with kiln wash or with thinfire and slumping into those!! Some have cost me 50p and some a bit more!!

I am going to buy some KLB soon to try it out too!!! I think you need to use fine sandpaper to get better finishes from it.
                      Rach

Facebook
                      Website
                      Blog
                      Folksy

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - I thought it was just me being a novice with this stuff! I'll get the emery boards out and give it another try!

Sylvie

Comment

Hi Sylvie, yes I didn't say what my kiln was as I can't remember what type its called. Its the flat bed type where the lid and sides go up. (Naberthern style but unfortunately not so big). I should know as I've had it several years.

The elements are in the top only, so if you want to stick the tongs in which are vertical in design, you would need to be above the glass which means burning your hands in my kiln. I need to bend the tongs so that I can go in at the glass from the front.

Hope that helps.
                          Tracey

Comment

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for the feedback. My Skutt Hotstart Pro is also wired in the lid so I guess I will have the same problems with the bracelet mould. I quite like the idea of creating your own ceramic moulds from existing ceramic items though - what a superb idea!

Thanks again Sylvie

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info on glue. I will look for Dazzletac and maybe give it a go.

Looking to make some tiny drops this weekend

Thanks everyone

Cat'sEyes
                              Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

Working...
                              X