Lampwork bead beginner advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampwork bead beginner advice please?

Hello all, hope you can help me. For Christmas my husband has bought me a starter kit (with Hot Head Torch) for me to have a go at making lampwork beads . I can’t wait to have a go, but wondered if anyone could recommend some books to me for me to read up on it before I take the plunge? I’d like something quite indepth, with lots of colour photos!

Also, how important is it to have a kiln? Obviously I don’t have one and the information I received with my goodies refers to vermiculite or a fibre blanket. Any advice and info would be gratefully received!
    www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
    www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
    Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
    Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

The book most people would probably go for is Corina Tettinger's Passing The Flame - but it is expensive (at least £45). Other good beginner books are Cindy Jenkin's 'Making Glass Beads' or Kimberley Adams 'Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking'. There is also a lot of info on the net, and some great youtube video tutorials.

You don't need a kiln to start with. If you decide to use your beads in jewellery for sale, or to sell the beads, they will need annealing though, which means buying a kiln or getting someone who already has one to anneal for you.

You definitely do need either a fibre blanket or a pot of vermiculite though - this is to make sure that your finished beads cool slowly - without this the stresses introduced into the glass will cause them to crack. I prefer a blanket wrapped in foil, but Tuffnells are on holiday until the new year. You may be able to find an alternative though. Otherwise, vermiculite can be bought at any garden centre.

You are going to have a LOT of fun!
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

You lucky lucky girl!!!

have pm'd you
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks guys! Am very very excited...

Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

you're so lucky!

I want one!

Can I have yours?
          www.beadlab.com

Comment

I've got the Cindy Jenkins book which is brilliant. I got mine on e bay. If you want your beads annealed then Tuffnells will do them for you if ask, post them to them & it helps them fill their kilns as well apparently & they post them back.
            Caz

www.pearlsandwhirls.co.uk

www.pearlsandwhirls.blogspot.com

Comment

I started with the Cindy Jenkins book and it was fantastic, I also did a one day course which was worth every penny, taught me all the basics and also some fancy stuff which got me on my way, the its just a case of practice ..practice. I started on a HH with MAPP then moved onto to bulk with a HH now I have a minor and oxycon. Its a very addictive hooby but I enjoy every minute I get at the torch, have fun.
              Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
              I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

I'm getting some pennies for my christmas to get a starter kit can anyone recommend where the best place to buy one from
                Ger xx

My Blog

www.cullen-crafts.co.uk

Comment

www.tuffnellglass.com

Best place for starter and more advanced kit - and really good people too.

Can't recommend them enough.
                  george
                  www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                  www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                  www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanx for that hun
                    Ger xx

My Blog

www.cullen-crafts.co.uk

Comment

eh? you got your present already?

Lucky girl, I'd love to have a kit! I did a session with Tillerman 2 years ago. They have put a friend's kit for sale on their website this week, I am sooooo tempted but with moving into the new unit, I have the space but not the money!!!!

Hope you have lots of fun!
                      Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Yep, opened it the other night as I would have had to take it (along with everything else) to my mum's to open on Christmas Day. Plus he'd mentioned the idea to me before buying it and then a delivery arrived from Tuffnell Glass, so I knew what I was getting! He gets major brownie points this year. Can't wait to get going with it. Thanks for all the recommendations peeps!

Pebbles, if you're ever in Cheshire, pop in and you can have a play!
                        Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

Working...
                        X