Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a new Dichroic Jewellery Business

Hi everyone,

I've been buying up dichroic cabs on the internet (ebay) for the last year but having gone on a course and produced some passable (saleable!) first attempts I have now decided to set up a business in France to make and sell my own dichroic jewellery over here.

I'm in the process of drafting a business plan but am having difficulty trying to estimate the start-up costs. For example, I am thinking of buying a Skutt Hot Start Pro Fusing Kiln. According to the warm-glass website it costs 50p per firing. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Also, can anyone advise me on how many cabs can I produce in one firing in the Hot Start Pro (say rectangluar 3.5 cm long by 2 cm wide)? I know the kiln is 38 cm in diameter but maths has never been my strong point!

3rd and last question: I was thinking of buying the Warm Glass starter kit (£100) to get me started, plus bails and some specific dichroic patterns that I prefer. The starter kit contains the cutter and snapper tools plus various dichroic glass packs. Is there anything else you would recommend purchasing? Apologies for all the questions but living in France I want to ensure I start off with the right equipment.

Thanks in advance and I'm so glad this forum exists. It's already helped me on a number of things today so keep up the great work.

SylvieKM

Hi Sylvie...I've got 4 kilns, one being the hotstart and I'd say it costs about 50p per firing (I actually think it's less).
    For the size of pendant that you want to do you're going to get about 30-40 per firing... There's no point pretending to be precise about actual number you'll produce because believe me, you'll make your fair share of seconds. As you improve, the threshold of what you accept as 'passible' in terms of quality will also go up so you'll always produce seconds.
    The beginner pack is quite good...you'll tend to use a lot more clear and black too so you might want to get more of those.

As a personal preference I'd buy some Glastac glue also....there's some Elmers included in the pack but I'd found it's not so good on some of the more delicate dichroic patterns.
    Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
    Dichroic Glass Tutorials
    Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

Wow - this is brilliant!

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I've taken on board your comment about seconds. You are quite right plus I tend to be hyper-critical anyway.

Thanks also for the advice on the supplies. I'm interested to hear that you have several kilns. I guess you are really making in volume, or do you produce other items too?

The Hot Start seems to have the best recommendation but which one do you prefer for dichroic pendants?

Thanks again, SylvieKM

Comment

Dichroic pendants is really the bulk of my work although I'm branching out into larger items hense the need for different kiln. The hotstart is an excellent kiln, by far my favourite! The firing programmes are already built in.
        Some pieces need to be worked on in the kiln so i've got smaller kiln that I can open up and mold the piece as it's firing. I've got a much larger one that's new, for firing large platters, wall art etc.
        Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
        Dichroic Glass Tutorials
        Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

Hi,
          I too have a skutt hot thing and I love it. I completely agree with glasskanvas having that programer on the front is great you can also set your own programs too.

I would also add to get some scrap packs of the dichroic as it gives you a good variety of glass for not to much.

I have to admit I love buying the glass but I always get carried away, just have fun and experiment as much as you can. Also seconds sell well on ebay!

Ann

Comment

Thank you Ann and Glasskanvas,

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get started now.

SylvieKM

Comment

Working...
            X