Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else ever feel like this?

I'm feeling really uninspired at the mo - going thru phase of jewellers' block. I'm trying to make things that look great in my head but just can't come together in practice.

Everyday I come home from work and sit at my desk and it seems that as soon as I do a wave of tiredness comes over me and all I can think of is having a nap.

I look through the forum, Dawanda, Etsy, etc but sometimes (like today) it makes me feel worse cos I look at other people's amazing stuff and think "my god, what am I trying to do?!" then I look at the sheer volumes of people doing it and think "my god, what am I trying to do?!" I know I've probably given advice out to people who feel like this and tell them it's not about other people but it's always one thing to give advice....

I think I'm just feeling a bit down because my stuff just doesn't seem to be getting any attention and isn't really selling and it does make you doubt yourself and think "is it me? is there something wrong with the stuff I'm making?" and that is so much harder to take when it's your own designs and handywork.

E gad I've babbled - does anyone at all empathise and have any idea what the heck I'm going on about??

Thanks guys.
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

I think we all feel like that sometimes so you aren't alone

I lie in bed at night and the ideas drift in and out of my head but its a different story when I try to make the ideas become real - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. What I tend to do when I'm feeling negative is have a few weeks break from crafting and then begin again with a fresh mind. Chin up duck
    Emma

Comment

Yes I understand what you are talking about!

I often get painters block. Some days I can paint and everything just falls into place and other days everything ends up in the bin!!

A change of direction sometimes works, for instance at the moment along with my painting I am having a go at making miniature furniture in 1/12th scale.

When you do a hobby as a businesssometimes it is easy to forget the enjoyment you get from doing it. having to create, paint in my case, can sometimes be a burden, it does pass though and I think where would I rather be, stuck in an office or other such work place or working for myself ...... theres no contest!

If work isn't selling then it is very depressing, these two weeks after Easter are always bad for me so although sales are slow, I kind of expect it, hopefully though sales will pick up from next week.

I've been through some real dark periods, no sales, am I good enough artist?, should I give it all up? always though I come out of the other side, a little stronger and with ideas to counteract those down times.

Probably not helped much, but be assured you are not alone.

Andrew
      Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!

Comment

Hello....

I have low patches. Not just when orders aren`t coming in but when I can`t bothered or summon up any enthusiasm. I shut down my website and other shops for a bit last year because my heart wasn`t in it! I had alot going on in my life at that time and there just wasn`t room for sewing.

I also sometimes feel like that when I making things for orders and never get an opportunity to make something for myself.

It does pass, like others have said, give yourself a break and do something different. You`ll soon get back into it.

Take Care.

Comment

Take a small step.

I'm permanently mildly depressive, I think many creative people are. The best advice I can offer is to take action, even just a small step and soldier on. Try not to work for the approval of others but for your own enjoyment. One of my ex's once said I was a rubbish photographer and I didn't take a photo for about 12 years after that.
          Chris W.
          x
          Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

I felt cr#p most of March so maybe it's in the air. Sometimes going to the cinema is a bit of an ''uplifter'' - if the film is good!
            Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

O i know exactly what you mean! I get very downhearted when sales arent great & no orders coming in!! especially when to try to make a living at it. January/febuary is always very slow for me as people have been given candles as gifts for xmas.

So come on Yvonne chin up & keep working away your jewellerys lovely!!

IT will maybe help to know your not alone!!

LOUISE
              Louise
              www.countrylivingcandles.com

Comment

I know I don't have the business side of things to worry about but I'm a real craft 'tart' :0). I keep flitting from one thing to another if I feel cheesed off with everything. Forget about the stuff you usually do and try something completely different.

They do say a change is as good as a rest and at least you'll still be doing something creative plus you could develop a whole new line of business :0).
                http://ethelandednastearoom.blogspot.com/
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Having read this thread I have come to a conclusion...................I will now start being nice to forum members in order to make this forum nice and sparkly and huggy and sloppy.

Except for bad people, who I will kill very slowly over a large fire.

Comment

its a bad thing to say, but its nice to hear that other people go through the same problems as i do.

i think we all have to remember that we have just come out of the wintery yucky weather, and everyone is going though money crises at the moment, so noone has much money to spare and go spending it on anything but food, morgages and bills.

i say lets take up incy's idea of a G&T, and snuggle up to Peter.

*hugs* to everyone
                    Av xx
                    Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

Oh I totally know about hitting a "block"

I find I'm almost "bi-polar" in my creativity .... I can be really "up" one week, designing and making things and feeling really charged, but I know for every "up" there is going to be a "down".

I think somebody said it in an earlier post, I think it goes hand-in-hand with being creative.
                      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
                        I find I'm almost "bi-polar" in my creativity .... I can be really "up" one week, designing and making things and feeling really charged, but I know for every "up" there is going to be a "down".

I think somebody said it in an earlier post, I think it goes hand-in-hand with being creative.
                        It is true, I know many people who go through the same thing.
                        Unfortunately I don't think you can do anything to get out of it, it just happens naturally. I was on a proper downer in January, thought about getting a 'normal' job, (although just part time cause I can't work more than 16 hours as I'm with Princes Trust). But now I'm carrying on, struggling sometimes, but still managing to pay bills. I don't design and make everyday cause I don't have the ideas sometimes.
                        Sarah x

Muddle Website
                        Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Beadsage View Post
                          Having read this thread I have come to a conclusion...................I will now start being nice to forum members in order to make this forum nice and sparkly and huggy and sloppy.

so no change there then peter!

actually i think he's really a big softie,just tryingto act tough

i do think all this doubt and down-ness (does that word exist??) does go hand in hand with creativity.But thereis an up-side as well.
                          All theself -doubt is keeping you onyour toes,helping you to keep looking for further inspiration and to keep on improving rather than just churning out the same old tat as some people do,and have the nerve to call craft!

Comment

Originally posted by Beadsage View Post

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
                              Oh I totally know about hitting a "block"

I agree. And I can identify with "creativeclare" about shutting everything down. I've done it too! Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed that I literally just want to say "NO, not doing it anymore"!

For me, creativity is a case of can't live with it, can't live without it! I'm overtired, disorganised and completely irrational when in creative mode and when I'm not feeling creative I'm depressed because I have a block!
                              Natalie
                              website blog

Comment

Working...
                              X