Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed... Card Making... Where do I start ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballerinacaz
    replied
    To print onto the inside of a card I usually dont actually print onto the card
    I print onto a piece of paper in a coordinating colour then cut it out and stick it onto the card, it is so much easier. I would recommend looking some magazines or books or something, and there are many sites on the internet where you can buy card supplies and some of them tell you how to make some cards. I also really like the shop The Paper Mill Shop, they have some gorgeous coloured papers, and they also have things like rubber stamps and peel off stickers, and loads of other card supplies. If you go on their website www.thepapermillshop.co.uk you can buy online or find out where your local shop is. HTH

Leave a comment:

• Swarovski Chick
    replied
    Card making

Hi Faye

I think you need to do a bit of research before you start spending a penny on stock for your cards. Its very easy to spend a great deal of money trying different methods of card making only to find you don't like the results they produce in the first place. Have a look at peoples work for inspiration and you will soon discover what you like and don't like, then find out what techniques are used for making that style of card. That way you can get inspiration not waste money and get a better idea of exactly what equipment and materials you need to purchase.

Not forgetting the reason you are getting into card making in the first place is to cut down on expenses for your wedding whilst creating something to be proud of in the process.

Leave a comment:

• Tip Top
    replied
    Well done!! And let us see pics of what you've created!!

And ribbon is great to use - very easy and looks very swish too!!

Leave a comment:

• craftyjan
    replied
    no time for housework

Originally posted by fgib57 View Post
    Oh Tip Top..
    - The Fiskars website is a great place to look - it shows you little video's of 'how-to-s'.. so thank you for that.

Tsarvo...
    - Well let me tell you how right you are... my plan... clean up, and get cosy with my mags... ha! you got it spot on... I got got cosy with my mags and I'm sat in my untidy house .. now surrounded by all the goody freebies I got in them.

I have made 2 easter and one Thank You cards - pretty gorgeous they are too (lol).

I have made an initial decision about the wedding stationery I am going to do, i think you will agree that I should try to stay safe...

I have decided to keep the invites that I am doing fairly simple and staying within the realms of border cutters, a few sticky on things... and if i get really adventurous I just may try a bit of ribbon or roses etc.
    - Not sure yet about the inside bits but I can put them through a printer with nice font, so they should be okay...

Reply cards can be very simple pieces of card cut with the border cutter I think, maybe with a sticky-on heart thing...

Place settings can be even simpler as they are simply names on card.. just a case of cutting them carefully, and again perhaps a sticky on heart thing...

Favours - think I should just buy the cheapest little boxes I can find, and again, use whatever sticky-on thing I use. Not sure what I am getting yet so no hurry on them.

I think if you do not know what your doing then perhaps less is more... would you agree?

-- And I agree, I will TRY REALLY HARD not to buy loads of stuff. I am looking on ebay now and going to get some cheap card blanks, not going to worry too much what they are yet - just cheap for playing with.
    A border stamp and may shape cutter, some peel-off wedding invite and some 'embellishments'... lol... I'm getting into the lingo now...

-- there will be no stopping me soon.

Shaz:- All I need to do now is find the Craft Channel and I will be up all night too!! (Probably won't need these invites soon as my other half 2-be will probably be glad to see the back of me soon.. lol

You have no idea how much fun I am having - no wonder this gets addictive!

I can't believe how helpful everyone is too.

Thank you all again so much.

Faye x
    no time for housework dust only comes back check out qvc on a tuesday between 2 and 4pm get some good ideas but create and craft is on 24 hours a day and can get addictive but good demos and bad for your bank balance try the pound shop as they sell some good little things amongst the rubbish hope you enjoy cardmaking im totally addicted started of few bits in my living room now since one of my daughters moved out i finally have a spare room which i have turned into a craft room come spare room but need plenty of warning when someone wants to stay as its a total mess but least i can shut the door jan x

Leave a comment:

• fgib57
    replied
    - Got the channel on Shaz - that's it... I'm doomed!!
    x

Leave a comment:

• Focus on Life
    replied
    I know its channel 661 on Sky Faye but I'm sure its on Freeview and Cable too, just cant find anything with the channel numbers at the mo. Here's the website though so, if all else fails, you can watch the demos on your puter! http://www.createandcraft.com/default.aspx

Have fun, its nice when you start learning the lingo and things become more familiar

Shaz x

Leave a comment:

• fgib57
    replied
    Oh Tip Top..
    - The Fiskars website is a great place to look - it shows you little video's of 'how-to-s'.. so thank you for that.

Tsarvo...
    - Well let me tell you how right you are... my plan... clean up, and get cosy with my mags... ha! you got it spot on... I got got cosy with my mags and I'm sat in my untidy house .. now surrounded by all the goody freebies I got in them.

I have made 2 easter and one Thank You cards - pretty gorgeous they are too (lol).

I have made an initial decision about the wedding stationery I am going to do, i think you will agree that I should try to stay safe...

I have decided to keep the invites that I am doing fairly simple and staying within the realms of border cutters, a few sticky on things... and if i get really adventurous I just may try a bit of ribbon or roses etc.
    - Not sure yet about the inside bits but I can put them through a printer with nice font, so they should be okay...

Reply cards can be very simple pieces of card cut with the border cutter I think, maybe with a sticky-on heart thing...

Place settings can be even simpler as they are simply names on card.. just a case of cutting them carefully, and again perhaps a sticky on heart thing...

Favours - think I should just buy the cheapest little boxes I can find, and again, use whatever sticky-on thing I use. Not sure what I am getting yet so no hurry on them.

I think if you do not know what your doing then perhaps less is more... would you agree?

-- And I agree, I will TRY REALLY HARD not to buy loads of stuff. I am looking on ebay now and going to get some cheap card blanks, not going to worry too much what they are yet - just cheap for playing with.
    A border stamp and may shape cutter, some peel-off wedding invite and some 'embellishments'... lol... I'm getting into the lingo now...

-- there will be no stopping me soon.

Shaz:- All I need to do now is find the Craft Channel and I will be up all night too!! (Probably won't need these invites soon as my other half 2-be will probably be glad to see the back of me soon.. lol

You have no idea how much fun I am having - no wonder this gets addictive!

I can't believe how helpful everyone is too.

Thank you all again so much.

Faye x
    Last edited by fgib57; 24-03-2008, 11:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tsarvo
    replied
    Cleaning! you can kiss that good buy.
    ever since i started making cards and then jewellery, house work has gone out of the window! (and i was never that good at it to start with)

My tip would be..... try not to buy every thing you see, you will just end up with a lot of stuff, master it a little at a time and experiment with lots of different cards and papers. have fun!

as for embossing, wipe the card first with a cotton wool ball and some talc, then stamp, this stops the powder sticking to other places on the card! and you will get a nice clean image.

Leave a comment:

• Tip Top
    replied
    Hello Faye!

OOhhhh! Wish I was you with all the craft magazines! I just look at them and put them back - I have too many ideas as it is and those would send me over the edge!!

Anyway, hopefully, I can answer your questions:

Number 1 - you can buy peel offs which are quite flat, but you would have to print your own wording if you wanted totally flat and not peelables. You can actually get some really nice peel offs but don't go for anything too small or fancy as they are a nightmare to use!

Number 2 - you can buy apeture (sp?) cards all ready cut out but these are quite limited and quite expensive. You could buy a big punch but not sure if it would reach to the centre of your card. Or there is the die cutters but you would need a machine etc and all the relevant bits. I think you could use a Friskars cutting thing - I'm not sure as I've not got one but google Friskars and see what it comes up with....

Good luck!!

Leave a comment:

• fgib57
    replied
    Hello....

Well, i did it - i went into our supermarket and bought every craft magazine there was! There was some freebies in them, and I'm really looking forward to getting my cleaning out of the way - I'm gonna get into my cosy's and curl up on the settee for the rest of the day and evening and start my card craft education... you would not believe how excited I am...

I have just 2 questions and would be so grateful before I start spending money if you could answer this for me so I can buy the right things to start practising properly...

1. One thing I have not found yet that I would like to be able to do is:

You know when you see ' Wedding Invitation' usually in silver or gold in the front of a card and its like a metallic and not usually raised, in fact almost more totally flat in the card - how is this acheived ?

2. Also - say I want to create a cut out in the middle of a card, say, like a small heart cut out - do cut out stamps allow you to go into the centre of a card to cut out or are these specially long ones? Are these available?

Should I put some examples up of what I mean ?

Thank you all so very very much - you have all been so helpful and very inspiring.

Faye x

Leave a comment:

• SusieQ
    replied
    Try this

I always fancied card making but never had time. When I finall had time I decided to do something about it. Look at fairly local Craft Centres and seeif they run card making classes. I went to a few and got the basics but realised they were too basic and gave me confidence to try different things myself. It was a good starting block but seeing as you are 'arty' you have a good start. I don't know how good my cards are compared to others but sometimes I look at one and am amazed that I have made it . I could always knit, crochet, sew, but was never good at art but I seem to find it comes natural to me putting a card together. Don't try too hard, just get some basic stuff and have a go. There is loads on line if you google card making. Hope this helps. Sue.xx

Leave a comment:

• Focus on Life
    replied
    Originally posted by fgib57 View Post
    perhaps attached to that nice fine paper (? - there I go again)

Faye x
    Cant remember if someone's answered this one for you already but I think you probably mean vellum paper?

hth
    shaz x

Leave a comment:

• Focus on Life
    replied
    I loved your epic post, reminded me of when I first got into crafting and my stepmum made my cat (yes my cat) a get well card after he was in an accident. It was a simple little folded card with some pre-bought embellishments that she'd simply stuck onto the front and handwritten her own message on the front & the inside. He was the only cat in the cat-hospital with his own Get Well Card on his cage!

...but it was the simplicity of it that made me think "I could do that" and here I am. If you have Sky or Freeview or some other cable TV malarky, you could try to catch the Create & Craft TV Channel cos they show demonstrations 24 hours a day and I've learnt pretty much all the techniques I know from watching that channel. Kinda like going to a craft class if you cant get to a real life one.

You've spoken about embossing on here already - the embossing you do with powders and heating them up is usually called heat embossing - but the effect you said you thought would just be "pressing something between two cards" is usually called dry embossing and is just like a raised pattern in the paper? - you can do it with a light box and a stencil or more simply now with various purpose built boards you can buy

Have fun whatever you do and do have a look at as many card-making sites as you can to get your wedding stationery ideas

Shaz x

Leave a comment:

• Tip Top
    replied
    Hello and !!

I made my own Wedding Stationery when I got married nearly 8 years ago, and I've just made a Wedding Table plan (the wedding was yesterday!) and have made two lots of Save the Date cards - both brides get married next year and both have asked me to do the whole lot of stuff........ and I'm just about to do 100+ engagement announcments!!

I do have ideas but I find that looking at other designs also helps!

I've just found this website http://www.wedding-invitation-ideas.com/ which seems really good - I've not had chance to have a proper look or do any downloading, but if nothing else, then it gives you some inspiration!!

Also, have a look on my website - I do toppers, embellishments and also cards which might also give you ideas!! www.tiptoptoppers.co.uk

Good luck!!

Leave a comment:

• ilovecrafts
    replied
    if you haven't looked already, have a look at the craft creations site. They do a magazine, and you can download articles from their older mags. I can't persnally comment on the articles as I've never seen anything that took my fancy. the other possible advantage is that they offer 10% dicount on orders while you're subscribing to the mag.

here's a direct link to the download page for older articles in past issues

http://craftcreations.co.uk/pages/ma...a59772fcd68fa0

Leave a comment:

Working...
X