best way to pack thin glass items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to pack thin glass items

I've been scratching my head for the last 2 hours looking for an economical way of packing sheets of glass. They measure 23cm x 23cm and I'm selling in lots of 5 and 10 so the max depth for these would be 1cm and 2cm per lot. I've been looking at pizza style boxes but they seem to be too deep although would not be if I packed the inside with a sheet of polystyrene on either side of glass but that would only allow 1cm thickness of poly since most pizza boxes have a depth of 40mm and not sure if that is the best way to go as 1cm poly is to thin unless I added additional packaging to the outside of the pizza box..

I've got in touch with a supplier that sells high density polystyrene sheets of 2cm and 2.5cm thickness so am thinking about using these either side but I would still need to find a way of cutting down the polystyrene to fit the glass as I'd like to go at least 1cm over all the way around so therefore would need 25cm x 25cm sheets.

I've also been looking at double wall cardboard sheets to pack either side of glass but would need A3 size to fit 23cm x 23cm and again would need to find a way of cutting down the cardboard and if rigid would be a bit of a job. Added to that I'm coming up with prices of approx 0.70p per sheet and that really eats into the profit margin as I would need to use 2 sheets per packof glass, then have additional polystyrene sheets on top then outer bubble wrap to finish.

I'm trying to make life a bit easier as the profit margin on each lot is reletively small so if possible trying to ease the packaging time but also do a good job of it so don't have these arrive broken. Can anyone give advice on what you think is best and is the larger bubble wrap better than small bubbles for glass as I think it might be best to finish the packaging with bubble wrap around the outside and send like that.

Have you tried postpack? They do slider boxes that have the inner box lined with thick foam on all sides, its what we use to post frames away with, breakages extremely rare.
    As a new customer you can choose three free sample sizes for £6, post free which is redeemable on your first order....

Dave

Comment

thanks Dave. I've had a look at those and they seem good. The size most appropriate would be 26.5 x 26.5 but the depth is 65mm and seems to deep for my glass. If my items depth is only 20mm and in some cases 10mm for the smaller lots then I would not know how to fill the excess. What do you do if your frames come up shorter than the depth stated?

Comment

Originally posted by daveym79 View Post
        thanks Dave. I've had a look at those and they seem good. The size most appropriate would be 26.5 x 26.5 but the depth is 65mm and seems to deep for my glass. If my items depth is only 20mm and in some cases 10mm for the smaller lots then I would not know how to fill the excess. What do you do if your frames come up shorter than the depth stated?
        I wrap them in bubble wrap, depends if they are a loose fit all round or ends are ok, top bottom have a gap...I have before now got clip on foam pipe insulation which is cheap enough and either put it round a frame or cut it in pieces to pack it out to fill the void...the boxes, if you can pack them right are pretty bombproof compared to most packaging...the life saver here is the pre fitted foam..if you can adapt from there....

Dave.

Comment

Working...
        X