Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

royal mail account or an alternative for large bulky items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royal mail account or an alternative for large bulky items?

As mentioned in a recent post, I'm starting to sell picture frames on a more frequent basis. Most of my items currently go as large letter post and I've had a franking machine which has been ok for these and sped up my deliveries then i just drop them at the post office.

If selling bulky picture frames and the fact they are glass, I need to find an alternative to using my franking machine and taking these to the post office. Prior to getting the franking machine, I had royal mail calling me on a regular basis so as to set up an online account but they recommended that I still drop the mail at the post office as my business was still growing and not at a level to have collections. They mentioned I would need to be sending out a certain level of monthly parcels and if I couldn't achieve this target then would have to pay a fee at the end of the year, and I wasn't happy proceeding. I'm probably still at a similar level in terms of sales as I ceased trading for a long period due to taking on a job so am only recently starting back up again but I want to get things in place asap before I get overly saturated with orders that I can't cope with sending them out.

Is there an alternative collection service that is recommended for bulky items whereby I can set up an account for weekly collections or if collections is a no go then is a royal mail account the best way to go?

I use Parcel2Go (MyHermes) and have never had any problems with them. check out their website, enter the size and wright of the parcel and you can get a quote of all the services offered. You can drop of at a parcel shop which is a fraction cheaper but I always have them collect.

Comment

Have a look at parcel hero or parcel monkey, I think they use DPD couriers..not used them was suggested to me.

Dave.

Comment

We have used MyHermes in the past for large/heavy items and found them to be much cheaper, faster, and more reliable than Royal Mail who's tracking service is a laugh.

Smeg.

Comment

great I'll have a look at my hermes. If sending these out through royal mail I see that prices based on weight (under 2kg) are only £2.95 2nd class small packet so I don't know if my hermes can compete but if I had say 10-20 of these going out a day I would never be able to get over to the post office with them all so would prefer a collection but would would need to stay under the £4.00 mark as anything over wouldn't be feasable as what i'm selling is very low margin items.

Comment

Working...
          X