Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle making profit ?

Hello all you crafty people,

I'm thinking about making candles. Could somebody tell me, is there a good profit margin in this ? Is the candle wax expensive to buy ? Is it easy to do ?
    Does anybody have any useful web addresses ?

Thanks for your time and attention in this candle making matter lol

Cosmic Angel

Hi Cosmic-Angel.....If you're thinking of taking up candle making, check out on google for info on how to make candles & where to buy wax, fragrance oils etc....there are also a few good forums where you will find lots of info! Your best bet, to start with, may be to try making wax tarts or melts, as there are no wicks in those, so you won't have wick testing to do,,,,it's a fun hobby & can be profitable, I should also warn you it is very addicitive lol!

Caz x

Comment

Well candle making certainly isn't a get rich quick hobby. It is very very very expensive particularly when you are first setting up you need a heck of a lot of equipment even if you are using old pots and pans for double boilers.

Candle waxes can be expensive but it is totally dependent upon which type of wax you want to use, you then have additives for the candle which all have varying different properties, some will harden the candle, some will allow more fragrance to be held in the candle, others will increase opacity or add different effects to the wax. But by far the one single most expensive component of any candle is the fragrance oil - and with the price of oil going up the price of fragrance oil is too rocketing.

To make a candle in itself isn't hard - to make a candle which is safe to burn and sell is another different matter - I have made up a tutorial which I will add the link to later. To be able to sell to the public you must test burn each and every candle you intend to sell then when you are happy with how they burn, test each and every fragrance you want to use in each and every candle because everything you add to a candle can and will alter the way the candle will burn. Only when this is done can you guarantee your customers that they will get the best quality and safest candle. In this climiate of sue culture it really is better to be safe than sorry.

Proft margin - well that's a tuffy - a lot of people appreciate the quality and attention to detail that goes into hand crafted candles (and indeed all other hand crafted items that we all make) but and this is a big BUT there are a whole lot more who are more than happy to nip up to Asda and buy the rubbish they sell there.

I hope this helps some.

how to make your first candle

Cheers.

Lisa
      Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

A Big Thank You !!

Thanks Lisa, that was the most informative reply ever !! It's really made me think about starting up candle making, I thought it was alot easier than that.
        Thank you so much, you may just have saved me a fortune.

Cosmic Angel

Comment

It is a great hobby and even your mistakes can be melted down and started over but if you intend to sell to the public that's a different ball game.

Glad I could be of some use.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
            Well candle making certainly isn't a get rich quick hobby. It is very very very expensive particularly when you are first setting up you need a heck of a lot of equipment even if you are using old pots and pans for double boilers.

Candle waxes can be expensive but it is totally dependent upon which type of wax you want to use, you then have additives for the candle which all have varying different properties, some will harden the candle, some will allow more fragrance to be held in the candle, others will increase opacity or add different effects to the wax. But by far the one single most expensive component of any candle is the fragrance oil - and with the price of oil going up the price of fragrance oil is too rocketing.

To make a candle in itself isn't hard - to make a candle which is safe to burn and sell is another different matter - I have made up a tutorial which I will add the link to later. To be able to sell to the public you must test burn each and every candle you intend to sell then when you are happy with how they burn, test each and every fragrance you want to use in each and every candle because everything you add to a candle can and will alter the way the candle will burn. Only when this is done can you guarantee your customers that they will get the best quality and safest candle. In this climiate of sue culture it really is better to be safe than sorry.

Proft margin - well that's a tuffy - a lot of people appreciate the quality and attention to detail that goes into hand crafted candles (and indeed all other hand crafted items that we all make) but and this is a big BUT there are a whole lot more who are more than happy to nip up to Asda and buy the rubbish they sell there.

I hope this helps some.

Cheers.

Lisa
            Sorry taking it a bit off topic but if I am only planning on adding a waterslide decal to a candle brought from elsewhere do I need to test them?

Comment

Even adding a decal slide, I would still give one or two a test to ensure they don't react with your wax when burning.

There is always the chance that something might go wrong, and its not worth taking the risk.
              ------------------------------------------------
              My Online Store

http://www.scentedpillarcandles.co.uk

http://www.handmadepromises.com

http://www.makecandles.co.uk

http://www.candlesscents.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X