How far would you travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far would you travel?

I'd really appreciate it if all you crafty people could give me some feedback please .

We're looking into opening a 'real' shop stocking supplies for other crafts not just card-making. The premises we've just looked at is in a village a mile or so from the nearest town with parking and we wanted to do a quick (very unscientific) feasibility study.

We know we're unlikely to get much passing trade so the question is...
    Would you go to a shop out of town and if so how far would you travel out of your way?

Many thanks
    Netty
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Got to say i'd only travel up to 20m if I knew I could park easily.
    - A whole world of fluffy stuff.

Comment

Hi Netty we have tried dipping our toe into the shop idea having our products in a local farm shop which is a bit out of the way, but with good parking and also well known, we have advertised it on the website and locally but it has not taken off so we are thinking of forgetting the idea and concentrating on web sales and craft fairs. Hope this helps
      Mike (Jo\'s little helper)

Comment

Sorry - have to say I wouldnt - and dont!!

much prefer to shop online for things these days
        Sally x

www.bootifulstampz.co.uk

Comment

When I used to live in the sticks I had to travel 20miles to the nearest city so I vote further..

But agree now you can do so much online..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

i would definatley travel. there are so few craft shops in ipswich(forget bcm they are rubbish! :roll: ). depends of course on what you have in the shop and whether it relates to any crafts i do.
            btw what village are you thinking of if you are allowed to say
            Lois

Comment

Hi Lois

It's the other side of the county to you I think, over near Newmarket. We've only just viewed the property and knowing our luck by the time we decide whether to go for it or not it'll be rented out to someone else, but fingers crossed.

Netty

Comment

I would dearly love to open a shop but won't due to the finances involved, unless I was going to buy it outright (well mortgaged obviously).

Speaking from a consumers point of view I would travel because sometimes its hard to see what you looking at on the internet so its always nice to see things in the flesh, then you can gauge the true colours and sizes etc etc. I often get customers ringing me up asking about my products before or immediately after purchasing as they often want to know more information which you can't get on the site or in a big craft store, so the small ones are in my opinion the best.

We have one here in Chorley (a modest town) and the owner tells me they don't advertise at all, just word of mouth keeps them going.

So there are plusses and minuses to it but it would definitely be a dream come true for me thats for sure.

In answer to the question, I'd probably travel up to 10 miles.
                Liz

EA Cards and Crafts
                Huge choice of papercraft, jewellery and wedding products! Full papercrafts catalogue available.
                www.eacardsandcrafts.co.uk

Comment

Hi Liz

Completely understand where you're coming from. I'm busy trying to do some research and write a comprehensive business plan to take to the bank. I will then have some big decisions to make about the risk invloved :? I know what my hearts telling me but I must've forget to listen to my head too!

Comment

If it was easy to get to and as someone said there was plenty of parking then id travel.Id make a day of it and make sure I took a load of money.

A few weeks back I travelled by train into London and walked for about an hour to get to a bead shop.Its quite a nice thing to do for a day.Ended up spending £40+ on swarovski and havnt used one of them yet!!
                    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

If I knew there was parking and that the shop stocked things I was looking for then I would easily travel over 20 miles.

Incidentally, as I live near Bury St Edmunds, I would be very interested in visiting your shop if and when you open it.

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty
                        Hi Liz

Completely understand where you're coming from. I'm busy trying to do some research and write a comprehensive business plan to take to the bank. I will then have some big decisions to make about the risk invloved :? I know what my hearts telling me but I must've forget to listen to my head too!

Netty

I looked into opening a shop last year, but decided against it after seeing an adviser from Business Link. If you haven't done so, I'd say go and see one, they are very helpful and can really guide you for your business plan - got loads of advice what to put in mine etc, just didn't get as far as the bank!!

The shop someone mentioned in Chorley, I am sure they advertise in Crafts Beautiful or Practical Crafts so I doubt it's all word of mouth - that's how I found them and know about them. (Sticky Fingers?)

I think although on a small scale, your poll shows people will travel.

Good luck anyway, whatever happens!

Bea
                        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Hi Bea

The shop in Chorley I was talking about is 'Handmade Heaven'. Its on Pall Mall. I know Sticky Fingers advertise all over the place but I'm pretty sure Handmade Heaven don't and there are always people in when I go in for my emergency rations!
                          Liz

EA Cards and Crafts
                          Huge choice of papercraft, jewellery and wedding products! Full papercrafts catalogue available.

Comment

Originally posted by liz15a
                            Hi Bea

The shop in Chorley I was talking about is 'Handmade Heaven'. Its on Pall Mall. I know Sticky Fingers advertise all over the place but I'm pretty sure Handmade Heaven don't and there are always people in when I go in for my emergency rations!
                            Thanks for correcting me! ops:
                            Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Hi Bea

I just read my last post back and it sounds really 'off' and sharp! It wasn't meant to come out like that, just incase you read it like that and took any offence! Emails etc can be a pain sometimes as the 'tone' of your voice can be totally misinterpreted. Anyway I'm wittering now..... :lol:
                              Liz

EA Cards and Crafts

Comment

Working...
                              X