Making Soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Soap

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience in making any soap, becuase I tried it last weekend and all I got was goo.

=]

Thanks
    http://timbertags.com/img/gallery/50130034.JPG

bottle it, call it goo bath and market it at the kids!

Good luck with the soap making.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Sounds to me it didnt trace! What recipe did you use and did you stur / blend it enough till the liquid turned translucent and gluppie?
      x Maria

Website
      Blogging
      Facebook
      Flickr

Comment

What type of soap were you making - liquid or bar?
        Did you hand stir or stick blend?
        How much water did you use?

ITA with Bumble Bee. It might be worth posting your recipe to check if you had enough lye to emulsify your fats/oils.

I have been making soap for more than 4 years and sometimes, little details can ruin a whole batch.
        blog
        site
        fanpage

Comment

Whats happened to my soap?

Can anyone help please? I'm new to CP soap making & I'm not sure if this batch will be OK. Followed a recipe very carefully & everything was going just fine until it began to set in the mould (lined, wooden log type). Some of the oil came to the surface. Decided to leave it as it was too thick to mix back in. It has set fine but the top half has an oily apperance. Recipe was 3 basic oils with grapefruit seed extract and fregrance oil added at trace. Any ideas whats happened or if it will be useable?

Comment

Originally posted by Somergirl View Post
            Can anyone help please? I'm new to CP soap making & I'm not sure if this batch will be OK. Followed a recipe very carefully & everything was going just fine until it began to set in the mould (lined, wooden log type). Some of the oil came to the surface. Decided to leave it as it was too thick to mix back in. It has set fine but the top half has an oily apperance. Recipe was 3 basic oils with grapefruit seed extract and fregrance oil added at trace. Any ideas whats happened or if it will be useable?
            Without going into the exact recipe used, could you post the ingredients used in your batch as this would help determine where the problem lies.

Ingredients like goats milk, honey, orange and certain fragrance oils could cause this. It could also be a matter of false trace before pouring into the mould.
            blog
            site
            fanpage

Comment

Hi,
              Thanks for getting back to me. It had coconut, veg fat & olive oil. Pear fragrance oil added at trace.

Comment

Hi,
                Thanks for getting back to me. It had coconut, veg fat & olive oil. Pear fragrance oil added at trace.
                Based on the ingredients listed, I would say that the fragrance oil caused a false trace. The soap can be salvaged but it is a matter of choice and patience.
                I am not good at rebatching but I suggest you google rebatching + cole brothers to get an idea of how it is done.

Good luck
                blog
                site
                fanpage

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll try rebatching & try another recipe next time.

Comment

Whats happened to my soap?

It's been some time since my plea for help Sheabutter Cottage. I followed your suggestions and am pleased to say rebatching has worked . It's not the prettiest of soaps but it's good enough to use at home. It seemed to take forever to saponify. Really pleased not to waste the ingredients. Thanks again for your suggestions. Somergirl .

Comment

me one time at my school, though I just watch it, the soap ingredients is very strong..can't help it just watch...
                      Mod deleted - not 'crafts' relevant.

Comment

It's been some time since my plea for help Sheabutter Cottage. I followed your suggestions and am pleased to say rebatching has worked . It's not the prettiest of soaps but it's good enough to use at home. It seemed to take forever to saponify. Really pleased not to waste the ingredients. Thanks again for your suggestions. Somergirl .
                        Glad to be of help.
                        blog
                        site
                        fanpage

Comment

Working...
                        X