Using famous quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using famous quotes

Hi, new on here and very excited to spend time wandering the site - think my family may get forgotten a while!
    Wonder if anyone can help. I really love quotes, famous and less so, and have always used them on cards and gifts I have made for friends and family. I am now starting to sell a few bits and pieces and would like to share my love of quotes thru my crafts, but am unsure how I would stand regarding copywrite? Am I right in thinking if the author has been dead 70yrs or more it is ok to use their quotes - think excerpts from books are like that too
    Really grateful for any advise,
    thanks,
    much, love, joy, peace and happy crafting.
    Judith

Sometimes copyrights are still live because the rights to whatever may have been passed on to the widow or family or may have been sold to a publisher who now owns and protects the copyright so no, I would say it is not always the case. Good rule of thumb but not always.Have a read of www.copyright.gov.uk and www.ipr.gov.uk, they will give you guidelines, also Google the quote and put "copyright" after it, generally a site is there somewhere that tells you if it is public domain & copyright free...or not.

Dave.

Comment

Thanks for that Dave, really useful info, so much to learn,
      Judith x

Comment

Working...
      X