How do you organise your time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you organise your time??

I have to say I`m struggling at the moment!

I`m not exactly overwhelmed by work but I can`t anything done!

I have just one child (3 yrs) who isn`t that demanding and work two and half days a week so feel I should be far more productive than I am.

For example, I have a chest infection at the moment (had pneumonia in Nov so immune system was knocked for six!) so won`t be too hard on myself but all I have acheived today is shortening two pairs of mens trousers. Which will give my an income of £9!! Yet I`ve been "busy" all day!

Perhaps I`m just lazy!!

Any ideas on how to get things done? I`m sure it`s a case of work smarter not harder!

Oh, and I can`t spell or type either!

Comment

lol!!!

I am the same. I have purchased a diary this year, it 'seems' to help!!

Somedays I dont have v.much to do at all but it seems I am v'busy. I feel busy so that must count! since finishing uni last year, i took the summer 'off', which lasted a bit too long! I've been applying for jobs, as i cant work part-time forever, but for whatever reason they're not quite right! lol. So i started doing some voluntary work.

So my schedue at the mo, is wake up take my son to nursery, I then either go to work at 1.30pm for 3 hrs, or I go in at 8pm when the family are asleep (my boss is really flexible!!) and thats about it. in between this busy schedule I paint, do a days voluntary training with victims of domestic violence, which isnt even every week! and meet up with friends for coffee and lunch (not everyday tho!) and i still manage to 'forget' to do other things, like housework, post letters etc etc! Oh my life is soooo demanding!

Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Well.....

....for a start, never put 'organise' and 'time' in any sentence even vaguely connected to me.

I don't really organise myself, I'm organised by my computer. It depends how many emails I have first thing in the morning, how many emails I need to send out to crafters etc.

If there's any time left after that, then I can do some sewing. If I can stay awake long enough at the moment....

Jules
        Apple Tree Crafts
        www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

I find I get a lot more done when my computer isn't on!!! I seem to get distracted when its on, and before I know it, hours have passed!!!

The key for me is to get started first thing, I seem to get a lot more done that way. I work full time, so tend to stick to crafting at weekends, but this can mean I have a number of orders to get done if they have been placed at the start of the week. I am quite a good organiser, so just have to prioritise things in my mind. Sometimes I write down what I need to get done and that helps too.
          Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I have just one child (3 yrs) who isn`t that demanding and work two and half days a week so feel I should be far more productive than I am.

For example, I have a chest infection at the moment (had pneumonia in Nov so immune system was knocked for six!) so won`t be too hard on myself but all I have acheived today is shortening two pairs of mens trousers. Which will give my an income of £9!! Yet I`ve been "busy" all day!

Perhaps I`m just lazy!!
            Flippin' Nora! You've got to give yourself time to recover woman!!

You've had pneumonia - that's pretty serious in itself - Christmas got in the way remember?, you've got a young child, you're running a house, working part time, have a chest infection which will deplete your energy somewhat and you say all you have achieved......!!!

Wait until you are fully recovered from your chest infection before you start criticising yourself. Your body needs rest time to fight the bugs otherwise things will get worse.

Just in case you are interested I've had a days leave from work today and all I've done is visit a patient (massage treatment), buy eggs, wash up, order a couple of things on line and play on the forums I belong to. There's always tomorrow for other stuff!

Linda

Comment

I find that unless I have a deadline to work to I can waste hours doing, well I'm not sure what really but it takes time!! In the run up to Christmas I was sooo productive because I was booked to sell my jewellery at lots of fairs but sice then I have really slowed up. I ran my own very successful publishing business before I had my son but since I haven't had to work i have got a lot lazier!
              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

This is going to sound daft but since I took over Cuteable I have been much more organised! I think it's because I have to be as I need to get 3 articles a day written on there and everything else just fits in around that. I'm much more organised in the morning - I do silly things like while I'm waiting for Tara's porridge to cook in the microwave I will run the sink of hot water so that it's ready to be washed up as soon as we get back from dropping Anya at nursery. If I've got washing to put out (which I normally put on overnight) I get it organised into the piles ready to go out when we get back from nursery. Silly little things like that help me stay organised! My actual craft work has suffered since starting Cuteable but as I'm getting more into the swing of things it's getting easier to find time to do things like that. I used to write lots of lists about what I wanted to do but it just made me depressed because there was always a huge list and only a couple of things crossed off! When the girls go to school and I have a bit more time then I might start making lists but we'll see! My husband also helps out at the weekends when he is home so I'm lucky in that respect too. And as everyone else has said you need to make sure that you don't try to do too much until you are fully better. Hey and £9 is £9!!!
                Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Hello & thanks so much for the replies. The suggestions and knowing I`m not on my own has really helped!

I think I do need to plan my day. Perhaps in a diary or something. Put I also need to include "play" time in the diary too. I never miss deadlines but I also never see them coming!

I`ve had my lovely machine now for exactly 2 years and I`ve only made 3 garments for myself on it. It`s in use most days but all for paid work. I`m not complaining because I am grateful for the work but just to wear something I had made would be nice ( DEPENDING ON HOW IT TURNED OUT!!!)

The idea about multi tasking is a good idea. I`ve decided that whilst on the phone, I can polish furniture or something!

Now, today has been better. I`ve stayed off the computer until tonight and the total of my days work is...3 pairs of trousers shortened, one concealed zip replaced, shoulders altertered on a coat, four buttons replaced on a coat and another coat repaired . Also phoned customers to tell them their garments are finished and met with a lady re: weddiing pillow order and alterations to "going away" outfit.

I certainly do need to get better but you know how it when you have a family and a business!!!!

I think it would be a good idea if I took some sort of vitamin to improve my immunity against colds. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I take a supermarket brand muti vit but wonder if I need to buy a better one!!

Comment

Originally posted by craftdancer View Post
                    Flippin' Nora! You've got to give yourself time to recover woman!!

You've had pneumonia - that's pretty serious in itself - Christmas got in the way remember?, you've got a young child, you're running a house, working part time, have a chest infection which will deplete your energy somewhat and you say all you have achieved......!!!

Wait until you are fully recovered from your chest infection before you start criticising yourself. Your body needs rest time to fight the bugs otherwise things will get worse.

Just in case you are interested I've had a days leave from work today and all I've done is visit a patient (massage treatment), buy eggs, wash up, order a couple of things on line and play on the forums I belong to. There's always tomorrow for other stuff!

Linda

You`re right ofcourse!!!

Comment

Organised I am not!! LOL but I find that I use my diary very much on a weekly basis, by giving myself a weekly deadline I seam to manage better. I still have days when I achieve precisely nowt, but I usually manage what i set for myself each week even if i do have to work late at night to do it!!

And...everyone must give their bodies time to heal when things have gone wrong, eat well and rest.

Sue xx
                      www.susiedolls.com
                      www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by creativeclare View Post
                        I think it would be a good idea if I took some sort of vitamin to improve my immunity against colds. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I take a supermarket brand muti vit but wonder if I need to buy a better one!!
                        Echinacia (I think i have spelt that totally wrong but hope you get the idea) is really good for building up the immunity. You can either take it one a day for a month, or 2 a day for 2 weeks. You then give yourself a break from it and start again - as you are not suppose to take it all the time.

What I used to do (as I am constantly getting rundown) was take it for 2 weeks have a 2 week break and then start again and so on. I did notice a difference.

Other vitamins good for immunity is vitamin c and zinc, you can get it in boots as a combined tablet and you take one a day. There is also Berroca which is great as a pick me up first thing in the morning, as it has all the essential vitamins. You add one of these to water and it becomes an orange flavour drink - dosnt taste too bad.

I had a Berroca the other day when I woke up feeling like I was about to have a stinking cold and not long after I did feel much better and that pre-cold feeling had gone!

Reading back on this I sound like some kind of health junkie! lol. I'm not really, just one of those unlucky people that always seem to get ill!

I'm only giving this advice from my own experience and it may not be suitable for others (my mini disclaimer).

Hope this helps. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Its obviously your body's way of telling you need to rest, and recover. It is incredibly frustrating I know how you feel, as I am going through a similar thing myself at the moment, but for different health reasons that I wont bore you with. I just have to give in sometimes and let myself rest, so I can start a fresh the next day.

Sorry for the long post! Hope it makes sense.

All the best and well done on all your hard work yesterday!

Sarah x
                        Hope Jewellery
                        http://www.hopejewellery.co.uk
                        My blog: http://www.saysie.blogspot.com
                        My new Etsy Shop: http://www.saysie.etsy.com

Comment

I get to feeling the same way sometimes.

But then remember that I have a very demanding full time job in which I travel all over the place. I have 2 boys aged almost 4.5 and almost 2.5 so they are at nursery 3 and 4 days a week (husband does the childcare to make the week to 5 days for both) but I do all the housework, all the washing, help husband run his business and I also do my own stuff - www.tiptoptoppers.co.uk

I've booked for 4 craft fairs (probably will do 6) this year and I'm pretty busy at the moment with orders and have 2 weddings next year that I am doing all the stationery for.

I also visit my parents who live about 20 miles away every weekend and have a large circle of friends but generally keep in touch with email and texts but do see them on a fairly regularish basis.

But I am a pretty organised person and have to prioritise my time - I write lists of what I need to do and stick to them. And at the end of the day, the housework can always wait until I feel like doing it!! hehehehe!!

You just do what you need to do and chest infections can take it out of you - I used to have at least 2 bad ones a year before I had the boys. Now I just get them every now and again when I'm run down but they totally floor me. I had pnumonia (sp!) when I was 7 and was very very ill, so I have a dodgy lung now but your body tells you when enough is enough.

I wish I could spend more time with the boys. By the time I get home from work after picking them up from nursery (it generally takes me 1.5hours to do a fairly easy 20 mile trip but the traffic is bad) I am snappy and had enough and then have to start doing all the washing etc.....

So be pleased at what you've done!!

Comment

D'ya know I take my hat off to all you ladies who have children (and men) to look after as well as having jobs and, on top of that, running craft business and websites and Etsy shops and contributing to forums and heaven knows what! I dont know how you do it

GIVE YOURSELVES A WELL DESERVED TREAT TODAY cos that all takes some doing, its hardly surprising some things on your wish lists take a while to get to the top sometimes

...and I hope you'll come back n tell me what you treated yourselves to!!!!!

Love
                            Shaz x
                            Keepsake Kollections
                            & Rossendale Ramblings!
                            http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Working...
                            X