Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craft Sellers - What do you wish you had know before setting up online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Sellers - What do you wish you had know before setting up online?

I've written a post with 10 questions I think every craft seller should ask themselves before they start - but I really wanted to hear from you all too - are there any nuggets of gold you'd like to share about the realities of selling your crafts online

I've put a link on the post back to this thread so that people can take a look over here at your responses!
    - might get some new forum members too hopefully!
    Selling Crafts Online - 10 Get Real Questions

Don't forget to submit your craft blog to Craft Blog UK!
    A directory for crafty bloggers and lots of blogging tips too
    Facebook page - keep up to date with news, there's always something new in the world of blogging and social media!
    G+ Page - it's new but already busy!
    @craftbloguk on twitter - chat chat, tweet tweet!

As I had heard that Etsy did not cost much, I joined and made my site to sell my jewellery. It was supposed to be that they would advertise in various places for you and would just take a minimum amount for sales. The cost was reasonable to start. Fair enough I went ahead. HOWEVER after getting no hits I was getting despondent. If I had the hits but no takers for my Jewellery I would just have thought mine was not good enough. As an execise, I entered Etsy without signing in and entered all the info that I had put in place. IE- real gems, genuine, sapphires, cultured pearls, etc. NONE of mine came up. I then was getting requests that I should perhaps pay a little extra to extend my advertising. I thought I would try this for a short time to see if things improved. Still no hits. I did all that they suggested then repeated the execise to try and find my items. I actually found after sevral hours scrolling through just one of my items. I then received requests to extend more. I decided enough was enough and cancelled my membership minus a few pounds lighter with no gains at all. I just go on ebay now when they have free listings and do sell an occasional item. Not much but 100% better than Etsy. Has ANYBODY on here had an success with them?

Comment

I joined Etsy about 2 years ago. At first I thought it was a good idea for selling my wooden crafts and like a lot of people I had zero hits. I then did some research and found that there are literally hundreds, maybe even thousands of people doing the same thing and what I had on there just got lost. A complete waste of time. It is even worse for the more popular crafts, like jewellery.

Comment

I've had sales on Etsy but it's nothing in comparison with eBay. Since I began selling online at the beginning of February 2013, I've sold 27 packs of cake decorations on Etsy and 605 packs on eBay where I am registered as a business seller - and anyone else who is making to sell on eBay should be a business seller too.

I chose Etsy because I could link my shop to my Facebook page. As long as I earn enough from my sales on Etsy to cover the fees then I'll continue with it. You do have to bear in mind that on Etsy (and Folksy and any other of the smaller handmade selling platforms) that you need to drive customers to your Etsy shop to be truly successful on there. It's no good just creating a load of listings and not promoting them. Good photos may lead to Etsy members adding your items into their treasuries and I have had the benefit of sales as a result of my items being included in past treasuries. I'm not very good on the promotion side which is why I prefer eBay and the majority of my stock is listed there. eBay is more expensive too with a 30p buy it now listing fee and 10% final value fee which is calculated on the total selling price included p&p.

I am fortunate in that I am selling cake decorations which are not one of the most popular crafts on Etsy. Typing in 'edible cake decorations' sees a couple of my packs on the second page. Typing in 'edible cake decorations UK' and my items fill the first (and only) page. I have more competition on eBay of course!
        Carol
        Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
        Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by haptree View Post
          I've written a post with 10 questions I think every craft seller should ask themselves before they start - but I really wanted to hear from you all too - are there any nuggets of gold you'd like to share about the realities of selling your crafts online

I've put a link on the post back to this thread so that people can take a look over here at your responses!
          - might get some new forum members too hopefully!
          Selling Crafts Online - 10 Get Real Questions
          Thanks for the link to your blog post, I found it very interesting and agree with what you have said.

Back onto topic now...

My top tip is to choose a name that can cover a wide range of products that you're thinking of selling.

I made a mistake with my greetings cards naming it Pop Up Zoo - I began by selling pop-up animal cards but then progressed to birthday cakes, cupcakes, flowers etc. I wish I'd given more thought into the name now.

When I started my cake & cake decoration business I had no idea which way my business would develop. I'd booked myself into several Christmas fairs but needed a business name and a website address beforehand. So I chose Carol's Yummy Bakes as it was more vague and meant I might be able to expand into breads if I so wished. As it turned out, the cake decorations part of my business is what really took off. Which coincidently is the part that enjoy making the most which is nice.
          Carol
          Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
          Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

My top tip for selling on line as a prolific ebayer and etsy seller is be highly versatile and try and be a bit different from the crowd. Build up a customer base of other businesses who will keep ordering batches of your items rather than individual private sellers who just order ones and twos. You can put yourwares and what you do on the local Facebook sellers and buyers groups. Also be able to back up what you have to offer and make sure you have enough material and you have the means of producing the work quick enough. Don't put all your eggs in teh online basket as there is lots of cash to be earned out there in the real world. Posting stuff and even packaging can be expensive whereas a craftshow or market can cost as little as £10 and be within walking distance from your home. If you can do some local trade then it all helps. Adertising can be a waste of money and can attract lots of timewasters whereas a simple card on a noticeboard can cost nothing. The landscape of the craftworld is foerever changing and you have to be very adaptable.

Comment

Originally posted by wood-u-like View Post
              ...be highly versatile and try and be a bit different from the crowd ... there is lots of cash to be earned out there in the real world. Posting stuff and even packaging can be expensive whereas a craftshow or market can cost as little as £10 and be within walking distance from your home ... The landscape of the craftworld is foerever changing and you have to be very adaptable.
              THIS. With knobs on, and lots of glittery bling!

I will also add that having a real story to accompany your handcrafted goods is a better sales aid than is giving away free gifts.

Comment

My top tip - listen to your customer base - not every complaint is going to be valid, but try to wonder if it does have some base and EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF CRITICISM - TAKE AS POSITIVE CRITICISM - you don't have to act on it or agree with it, but if they did not mean it positively they would not have wasted their time making the comment.

i.e. Lady comes into my shop and says "do forgive me but could I offer a piece of advice ... those mats of on the table do look a little worn". I looked at the mats as if seeing them for the first time - they weren't worn they were positively filthy - I use black mats now

Comment

Boost your website above other selling platforms, it will save you time and money in the future.
                  If you have great sales on say Etsy and no sales from your website, you always have to pay the fees to etsy and find it very hard to move sales over, your paying for your website anyway make it work for you!

also social media is key, it will boost you and your crafts like nothing else and is free, but takes time before you get noticed.

Comment

Whatever medium you use to sell your items through....PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE. You can't list items anywhere, sit back and expect the customers to come to you. These large sites are not interested in YOU or your wares in the slightest, they just want the sale from anyone to get their commission fee.

I agree this is a bit do what I say not what I do, but I know my Folksy shop wasn't successful because I neglected it. Jewellery on Etsy is a waste of time no matter what you do now you get lost in the crowd. I think most success comes to those who are already well established or brought existing clients along from other outlets. I am promoting my new outlet www.wowthankyou.co.uk/woodngems continually on FB and know I will have to get to grips with Twitter etc.

Mo.XX
                    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                    www.bodrighy.co.uk
                    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Know your competitors!! I thought I knew mine and I didn't consider them as my competitors until they saw me as one and turned against me.

I wish I had known that the person who taught me how to do my craft would turn against me and bad mouth me to others. i got good at what she taught me then one day I got removed from pages and got inundated with nasty messages from her friends. This sounds nasty and very big headed of me but I think it was due to jealousy. I got very good at it and my product turned out better than hers. I was gaining more interest and customers were asking me to do the product instead of her. Now I get messages from customer telling me that they have been asked not to buy from me because the images I use are not my images or my product. The images are mine and the product in the image is of my making....

So I wish I hadn't put too much trust into certain people.... I still get messages and this has knocked my confidence and I almost gave up on it.

Comment

One sale each on Etsy and Folksy. Now most sales come through either my own site, linked to Facebook, and Amazon, who have been great, though they take a fair chunk in commission. Don't even bother with craft fairs now, too many people wanting summat for nothing and I'm not good at biting my tongue. Wish I'd have know back then not to bother with them and that my time would have been much more productive spent elsewhere.
                        http://www.kirkstoneleathercraft.co.uk/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X